Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
If there's any lesson to be learned out of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, it's that it's the journey is more important than the end result, therefore those that are afraid of spoilers are consuming stuff for the wrong reason.

BTW Roland's journey is a series of loops and the last book ends with him right at the beginning of the first. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fonzarelli posted:

yeah okay that is cool and all, great study

but a normal person would realise that stories are more meaningful when you find things out organically through the events unfolding instead of when someone on the internet tells you the ending and calls you a human being

its not that complicated, events are more emotionally resonant when you have a proper buildup, the autists here may not understand this though

Idk if you're invested enough that a spoiler is surprising then it's probably the exact same emotion you'd have if you saw it happen.

Hearing snape kills Dumbledore is shocking, if you know who the hell those people are. And that is way more interesting anyways cause the specifics of why are what make it compelling.

You might as well say, that claiming the good guys win is a spoiler

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Idk if you're invested enough that a spoiler is surprising then it's probably the exact same emotion you'd have if you saw it happen.

there's like scientific evidence that says this exactly pretty much but it doesn't matter their argument is based on an emotional appeal so you won't convince them

better to just shrug and watch the spoiler outrage wars from the sideline

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Luvcow posted:

repeat viewing lets you look at and appreciate things you might not have seen the first time.

i'm ok with people spoiling things, a lot of the time i'll look for the spoilers before i bother watching something that looks like it might be lovely, but it is kind of a dick move to force it on people who don't want it and then somehow say its their fault for not wanting it

Agreed though

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

You might as well say, that claiming the good guys win is a spoiler

Hey man, spoiler tag that poo poo!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Phlairdon posted:

If there's any lesson to be learned out of the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, it's that it's the journey is more important than the end result, therefore those that are afraid of spoilers are consuming stuff for the wrong reason.

BTW Roland's journey is a series of loops and the last book ends with him right at the beginning of the first. You're welcome.

Actually, bitch, the ending of the dark tower was good

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Like I watched fight club the first time in 07 not knowing the twist and it's only because I never absorbed it when I was undoubtedly spoiled constantly on that

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
One big part that sucked about the dark tower was how the man in black turned out to actually be krusty the clown throwing piss balloons off of one of the tower balconies or whatever

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

Actually, bitch, the ending of the dark tower was good

I didn't say it was bad, just that there's a lesson to be learned from King's Coda.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger posted:

One big part that sucked about the dark tower was how the man in black turned out to actually be krusty the clown throwing piss balloons off of one of the tower balconies or whatever

that's my favorite part though when the piss balloons are exploding on people's faces in multiple planes of existence that's peak King right there

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
i've never ever cared about getting spoiled because i'll still be able to enjoy the story (leading to the events spoiled) so in short anyone who gets annoyed by spoilers is a massive crybaby. thanks and god bless

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Agag posted:

Spoiler culture is trash

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

ROFLburger posted:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Fonzarelli posted:

yeah okay that is cool and all, great study

but a normal person would realise that stories are more meaningful when you find things out organically through the events unfolding instead of when someone on the internet tells you the ending and calls you a human being

its not that complicated, events are more emotionally resonant when you have a proper buildup, the autists here may not understand this though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thing is spoilers wouldnt resonate if you didn't have the "proper build up" you'd say "who's loving snape?"

• Locked thread