Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
while the bigger longer lasting batteries of cars like the tesla may show the tech is possible right now I think their cost is going to still keep people from adopting the bigger cars.

Instead I think the industry is going to adapt to smaller cars like the chevy bolt, cars where you normally wouldn't be going on long car rides in

personally I think the plug in hybrid is going to drive the industry in the future, you get battery driving for quick trips around town but you can still drive longer distances and refuel quickly without having to wait to charge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

why dont you take a ride on my fully charged dick OP

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

They make electric motorcycles with over a 100 mile range these days, that's pretty neat.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Thanks for the TEDtalk, op

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They make electric motorcycles with over a 100 mile range these days, that's pretty neat.
cool but where are you going to find a 100 mile long extension cord??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and the power to run these is going to come from.....

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Jonny 290 posted:

Coal, ideally

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonny 290 posted:

Scientists found a way to convert shitposts into energy.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I personally wouldn't mind getting one of these just to gently caress around with on the local streets, seems fun to ride something that has a ridiculous amount of torque and just zip around before recharging at home.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Gasoline powered cars on treadmills.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
you know what's loving cool, those wheels that have the motor inside the wheel. leads to a lot of unsprung weight tho. it'd be cool if someone ever invents a super light electric motor.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Germstore posted:

you know what's loving cool, those wheels that have the motor inside the wheel. leads to a lot of unsprung weight tho. it'd be cool if someone ever invents a super light electric motor.

dude i want a huge fuckin chevy blazer lifted on huge tires, but with hub motors and electronically controlled 4wd/braking/all that. it would absolutely crush poo poo in the woods. put a 1.0 turbodiesel spinning a generator to charge the batteries, gently caress having all that ugly drivetrain poo poo to snag on rocks, god it'd own

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

dude i want a huge fuckin chevy blazer lifted on huge tires, but with hub motors and electronically controlled 4wd/braking/all that. it would absolutely crush poo poo in the woods. put a 1.0 turbodiesel spinning a generator to charge the batteries, gently caress having all that ugly drivetrain poo poo to snag on rocks, god it'd own

Mitsuibishi already has a PHEV that can charge the battery while you drive it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adPZw8tp1gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
MAybe if we built the cars out of atmospheric carbon??

I remember hearing about a guy who made carbon fiber from atmospheric carbon powered by solar panels. It's not as efficient as, like, plants, but it's technology, so.. :awesome:

e: u could put lots of them in places, like deserts, where plants do go no mer, tho.

Ork of Fiction fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 31, 2016

• Locked thread