Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the last of the barriers to complete financial freedom in spending on political campaigns are falling!

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2016/08/super-pac-candidate-name-court-ruling-226563

this is a wondrous event - the sooner we can pump billions into our political campaigns, the more free they will be. let's use this thread to discuss how good money is and how it deserves to be spent on political campaigns!

few benefits
* big economic boost every election for tv stations and newspapers!
* money is free to do it's talking!
* the smartest people (the people with the most amount of money) will have the largest say in politics

can you guys think of some more??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

sorry forgot to include an image

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Mo money mo freedom!

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
If rich people couldn't spend obscene amounts of money to buy politicians then how would they be any better than the smelly unwashed masses? Preposterous! :wotwot:

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Due to America's numerous freedoms, I will inevitably be rich someday. When that day comes I would like to be able to control others with my wealth.

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

$krillary clinteX

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

personally, I see nothing wrong with spending about $1,000,000,000 on who gets to be the new hitler, this is not a choice to be made on the cheap

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

when a right wing billionaire drops $500 million on an election? bad. very bad. when a left wing billionaire does it? good as hell folks

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with billions of dollars is a good guy with billions of dollars.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this is the latest in the hosed up campaign finance laws saga:

https://theintercept.com/2016/08/03/gop-lawyer-chinese-owned-company-us-presidential-politics/

chinese company has been pouring money into the US election... for some reason! he also tried to bribe the reporters doing this story in a hilarious fashion:
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/760889321029242881

LOL

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
this would never have happened if campaign finance reform had a gunspent billions of dollars in corporate lobbying

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

wait, capitalism = bad? hosed up if true

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to a fundraiser for tim kaine tonight :3:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

i'm going to a fundraiser for tim kaine tonight :3:

fundraiser made 600k!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Venom Snake posted:

fundraiser made 600k!

jesus

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

thats pretty poo poo for having a veep in town, considering those FR's often have a split to local congressional candidates with 'em. What good is being POTUS when ya dont got a house?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
remember how the establishment gop was celebrating citizens united and then it hosed them completely by demolishing the last major instrument of leverage over party rank and file

earmark ban II: electric boogaloo

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
But Bush and Gore promised to get all the soft money out of politics in 2000. Your links have to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rand alPaul posted:

But Bush and Gore promised to get all the soft money out of politics in 2000. Your links have to be wrong.

the issue isn't money in politics, its the cost of access. I say we abolish the opportunity gap in America by reimbursing individuals up to $1,000 per year for political contributions to registered federal level candidate committees.

• Locked thread