Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Super Robot Wars T: Brave Saga 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super Robot Wars T: I Pity the Fool

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I feel like there should be a WOO! in there somewhere, I have a fondness for Aim For the Top.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That'll be when they add Nature Boy Ric Flair to the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Robot Wars T: Gundam Fight! Ready? 1, 2, 3, Let's Jam!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HitTheTargets posted:

That'll be when they add Nature Boy Ric Flair to the game.

He'd look great in either Quattro or Full Frontal's outfits, well at least 80s and early 90s Rid Flair would

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Okay guys, here's my new OP draft. It's already starting to feel a little cluttered to me, but let me know if you have any suggestions before I pull the trigger on a new thread.

Welcome to the Super Robot Wars thread, your home for burning passion and giant robots beating up other giant robots! Do you have a heart filled with justice? Then this is the thread for you!

What is Super Robot Wars?

Super Robot Wars is a long-running tactical RPG series centered around just about any mecha anime you can imagine, all being thrown together into a fanfiction blender. Depending on the game, you can control robots ranging from Gundams to Valkyries to Evangelions to Voltron, and you move units around on a grid and perform attacks with Fire Emblem-style animations.

What do you mean, depending on the game?

Every SRW title has its own individual series roster with one or two dozen different anime series being featured in a given game. It's largely the interplay of different series (read: crossover fanfiction) that dictates the story and pace of a given game. For example, sometimes you get Evangelion plot overlapping with RahXephon. But Evangelion never coexists with Voltron (so far).

If these games aren't available in the US, where does that leave me?

Due to many complicated factors, licensed SRW games have never been released in the US or Europe. But in the past few years, Bandai-Namco has been on a steady trend of releasing English language versions of their SRW titles for Southeast Asia, and these games can be imported from online sellers or purchased online for direct download via the Singapore PSN Store.

What's this OG thing I sometimes see mentioned?

OG is short for Original Generation. The devs that put out SRW games sometimes branch out and make SRW titles that have nothing but original content and characters, and this series of games is called Original Generation. Oftentimes, the original characters that get created to serve as protagonists or villains for licensed SRW titles end up getting a second lease on life as characters in the OG series. This series is notable for being long-running—Five games so far plus direct tie-ins from connected games like ACE:R and Endless Frontier. So it can get kind of convoluted and baggage-heavy if you try to just jump in at the latest title, but it's a solid series with an enjoyable cast of characters and robots.

What are my English game options?

LICENSED OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars V (PS4/Vita) (Series list here!) - Featuring Space Battleship Yamato, Full Metal Panic, and Evangelion movies, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSaCrx_pZYQ

Super Robot Wars X (PS4/Vita) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gurren Lagann, Code Geass, Nadia, and Mashin Hero Wataru, among others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN8-eIqhM

Super Robot Wars T (PS4/Switch, due out 2019) (Series list here!) - Featuring Cowboy Bebop, Magic Knight Rayearth, Gun X Sword, Captain Harlock, and GaoGaiGar, among others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpemgQu1c5w

LICENSED FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden (PS1) (Series list here!) - Featuring Gundam X, Turn A Gundam, Xabungle, Braiger, and Macross Plus, among others.
Super Robot Wars J (GBA) (Series list here!) - Featuring Tekkaman Blade, Nadesico, Layzner, and Mazinkaiser, among others.
Super Robot Wars Advance Portable (PSP) (Series list here!) - Featuring Dragonar, Daimos, and G Gundam, among others.
Super Robot Wars (GB) (Series list here!) - The original game for Game Boy, featuring Gundam, Mazinger Z, and Getter Robo.
Super Robot Wars 2 (NES) (Series list here!) - The sequel to the Game Boy original, featuring UFO Robo Grendizer.
Super Robot Wars 3 (SNES) (Series list here!) - The third installment in the original story, featuring Daitarn 3, Raideen, Gundam 0083, and Combattler V.

ORIGINAL-ONLY OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Original Generation: The Moon Dwellers (PS4/PS3) - The fifth entry in the long-running OG series. Word of warning, the translation is rough around the edges, to put it kindly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFYueSOCuE
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation (GBA) - The first OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.
Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 2 (GBA) - The second OG game, translated by Atlus a while back.

ORIGINAL-ONLY FAN TRANSLATED GAMES:
Super Robot Wars Gaiden: The Elemental Lords, AKA Masoukishin (SNES) - An SNES fantasy strategy RPG featuring all-original robots called Elementals and Elemental Lords.

What's the best game for a beginner to start with?

It really depends on your taste in mecha anime, and that's why the series list is so front-and-center in each of the listings above. What series do you like or remember fondly? If you love Robotech, you can find Macross and Macross Plus in Alpha Gaiden. If you're more of an Evangelion person, then V is definitely the game for you. And the upcoming T is going to have all kinds of peak 90s anime entries that people have been clamoring for, like Magic Knight Rayearth and the return of GaoGaiGar. The point is, read the series list for each game and decide which one speaks to you personally. And don't be intimidated by there being a bunch of shows you don't know. None of us knows every single entry in a game, and discovering shows you haven't seen through the game is half the fun!

How do I actually get the games?

For official releases, you can purchase physical copies at import retailers like Nippon-Yasan or Play-Asia. EMS shipping is recommended for overseas sellers like these; It's expensive, but your alternative is letting it get shipped for 3+ weeks by boat.

If you don't care about owning physical media, the newer PS4 entries can be purchased on the Singapore PSN store. To do this, first you set up a PSN account based in Singapore, then you go back to one of the above-mentioned online retailers and purchase a Singapore-based PSN Store money card code. This will allow you to buy things on the Singapore PSN Store and download them directly to your PS4, no region controls necessary.

For Vita users, it's a bit more restrictive. The Vita is hard-locked to the account that you set it up with, and the only way to change that account (and thus, your region) is to factory reset your Vita. Not recommended unless you're ready to give up your current games/saves and permanently embrace your Vita being tied to a Singapore account.

Switch online purchasing tutorial forthcoming.

I can read Japanese and I don't want to be restricted to English options. What's the WHOLE spectrum of games?

You can find a full list of SRW titles HERE, and each game links to an associated series list. It's a lot of stuff!

This game is complicated and I barely know who anyone is. When is a question too stupid to ask in this thread?

Never! Please ask anything you want, no matter how basic it seems. We all started out somewhere, and you'll find a lot of chill people here who are more than happy to break things down for newcomers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Looks pretty good so far.

The only thing I might add is an addendum about games like UX or L that aren't officially translated or patched but have LP's.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

Looks pretty good so far.

The only thing I might add is an addendum about games like UX or L that aren't officially translated or patched but have LP's.

Ooh, good call. I'll add that later!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, like Raxivace said, add a section for LPs so people can get an understanding of the games before deciding to commit to buying/playing the games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks a lot for making that. I'm glad someone more familiar with the English language world of SRW can do it.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013
It might also be worth mentioning games with menu patches only, depending. (AFAIK this covers PS2 OGs, both Z2 parts, and OE, plus maybe a DS entry or two?)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For the licensed games with official English translations it might not be a bad idea to include full series lists for them

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

For the licensed games with official English translations it might not be a bad idea to include full series lists for them

I felt like that would make the OP way too long. That's why the compromise is the linked series list.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

New thread header looks good to me.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
New thread HERE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug