Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

I saw a job posting and thought . . . what the hell why not? Anybody have experience doing this for pay? What's it like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It's boring and you get cold. Also sometimes the long poses make your muscles hurt.

No matter what you do, don't look at the drawings the students do of you, because you will either be creeped out by how pinuppy they made you look or filled with self-loathing at how flabby and out of shape they made you look.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
I'll give you my favorite story from the artist side I've ever heard about a nude drawing.

Normally, you don't do detailed genitalia in a sketch of a nude figure. You usually just make a general shape and move on. This applies to male and female. You spend most of the attention on the form.

When I was in college for illustration and design, everyone's drawings were put up on the wall to be evaluated. One of the student's drawings was a lovingly detailed drawing of the models dick. Veins and everything. Very careful shading and depth, of a circumcised penis.

The thing is... The model was uncircumcised. We all wondered: "Who's dick was he drawing?" Was it his own dick? Was it a friends dick? I knew that the dude doing the drawing was straight so it wasn't his boyfriends dick. Also, why the dick? There are plenty of more interesting parts of the body. Why not draw a hand?

For real advise, don't feel embarrassed to pose. When you're drawing, you decouple the person from the shape so no-one is thinking of you sexually. It is cold, and you'll get sore from the pose. It's easy work though.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Take a shower beforehand, bring a robe, be prepared to sit/lay/stand in one position for 30 minutes- an hour at a time, the professors usually tell you what position they want you in but sometimes they expect you to think of poses. Source: I took 3 life drawing classes in college.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
We've had lots of nude models back in art school, none of them were very remarkable except the old dude that liked to do sexy poses to make us all bust out laughing. One time he came in covered lick-on tatoos... lol

Bring a prop or two that you can incorporate into your poses. Some models bring a stick to lean on and so on.
Have a timer of some sort so you can change poses every 5min etc.
Ask the class what types of poses they'd like to study, but don''t do any pose that makes you uncomfortable generally.
Bring a light source, that makes posing atleast a little more interesting for the students.

Nude does not mean sexy time, although some seem to think so be prepared for the creepers if you are female.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

AlbieQuirky posted:

No matter what you do, don't look at the drawings the students do of you, because you will either be creeped out by how pinuppy they made you look or filled with self-loathing at how flabby and out of shape they made you look.

I had the opposite experience. I loved looking at the drawings afterwards because everyone draws/paints slightly differently, and seeing how every person in the room interpreted my form artistically was interesting to me. Some students would be a bit awkward about me looking though. I remember one being really apologetic because she'd drawn me with a pot belly. I told her not to worry, because that's what I looked like!

To answer the OP, the pay was ok. But it is uncomfortable and kind of boring. You get stiff and sore from having hold a pose, even if you're reclined. Some general advice: don't do this if you have any sort of digestive issue and are easily embarrassed. If you fart during a pose, it's the loudest sound in the world.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
It's just like everyone's said: boring, quiet, and cold. Ask for a chair or stool to help with longer poses since you're new, and bringing a broomstick as a prop is always helpful. Maybe ask to attend a class before you start so you'll know what it's going to be like.

One time in college we had a model wearing so much patchouli that no one finished their paintings because we didn't want to stay in the room with him.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

You'll probably be cold on the first day. Feel free to ask the instructor to turn the AC down.

I modeled at a women's college a few years ago. Everybody was super professional, the prof teaching the class had a cute dog that would hang out with me in the office on break, and occasionally one of the students would decide to paint me with massive flattering boobs. Easiest money I ever made. If you like the quiet tedium of yoga, you'll love nude modeling!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had a professor creep out on a model once my god it was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever witnessed. He was clearly trying to position her so he could look at her rear end in a top hat and everyone in the entire room knew it.

ZombieGravy
Feb 5, 2008

I did it a while ago and it was fun :)

We started out with short poses (so the students could practice speed drawing) and worked up to longer ones. If they suggest a pose that is a bit uncomfortable don't be afraid to say and be prepared to think of your own.

Remember to stretch before because your muscles will feel a bit achy after.

I found it interesting and fun to look at the art after. There were a few people who made my boobs comically big and others who were more shy and just did a blob of shading for the "naughty bits" :3:

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
It is a boring but easy way to make a little cash. Don't try to suck in your gut or you will feel the next day like you did a thousand crunches. If you are female, prepare a cold stare for creepers. If you don't routinely look at yourself in a 360° mirror, look at the drawings with caution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon
If you can, bring a supply of blankets/pillows. These aren't always available and having them will not only make you more comfortable, but give you more pose options, especially once you get into the 15+ minutes range.

Also, though it's rare, it is possible that some of the students may try to hit on you. Hopefully this will only happen once your robe/clothes are back on, but not always. :sigh: If it's overhead by the instructor, or other students, they'll probably get shamed for it because it's really frowned upon. Some people assume that anyone who takes their clothes off is DTF, and the art world is sadly no different.

• Locked thread