Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I am a scholar somehow addicted to geographic photography, in my personal quest to memorize the world.

Until recently I have been using panoramio as a source for geography for countries, states and states within countries. I gleefully saved and categorized by country any photos I could find per region onto my drive without a thought, much like I had from wikicommons (except with far more material to gaze from). A few days ago however I realized that apparently you needed specific permission from each artist on panoramio in order to archive them for personal usage, something I had forgotten to notice beforehand. I immediately bailed and removed months of photos from panoramio from my drive and began sending PMs seeking permission of usage from certain photographers. Now that's all and good except that Panoramio has been hanging on a thread for the last few years - thanks to an exodus of files onto Google Earth - and I doubt that many people at all, even the photographers, even bother checking their databases or emails for that anymore. Now whenever I check out Google Earth I feel tantalized by these pictures now that I can only gaze at them and not archive them like I used to. It's just not the same.

Are there any other good places besides Wikicommons/Panoramio that I could archive geographic photos from for personal reference? I wonder if it would be worth it just to draw what I see instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Dude no one is going to care if you have images for personal use

If Panoramio's license terms say that it is Google covering their rear end

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
1) You're a weirdo

2) Just keep your photos that you got from that other site no one is going to even try to sue a weirdo like you for some non-monetized personal memorization project, which is probably fair use on its own anwyay, but even if it wasn't, who gives a poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So sorry about your autism.

Holy gently caress, just save the files, no one cares.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
NOAA’s photos are public domain.

• Locked thread