Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Monday_ posted:

Apparently people with mental illnesses are allowed to serve on juries in Brooklyn. It was so much easier to get out of this in Queens.

Also probably shouldn't be reading/posting in this thread on courthouse wifi but whatever.

I wonder if getting on the terror watchlist would be enough to keep you off a jury. NE1 here on the terror watch list??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

Say you're educated and have a masters degree in physics or some math / science poo poo. Lawyers don't want people who are smart and not easily manipulated.

my brother has a phd in chemistry and has been selected twice. He loves jury duty though.

he said once they asked someone in the room what they did for a living, and when the guy said "I'm a producer for Law and Order" all the lawyers started cracking up and just shooed him out of the selection process

so say you make Law and Order

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm friends with a good number of local police. Last time I got brought in for selection I waved to the arresting officer and said "What's up, Louis!?" and surprisingly I was told I could leave

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i have tourette's so i just play it up hard. i'm perfectly capable of functioning normally in society but they don't have to know that

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'd serve my country in the name of getting justice done, losing a few days of work is totally worth doing the right thing.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I actually want to be on a jury for a nonviolent drug case. I want to exercise my right to acquit against all evidence of guilt for possession cultivation or synthesis of any drug. I would give up my pay my job and my time to do this.

Thing is, in texas the only way one hold out refusing to convict matters are in cases i probably would not want to do this for.

How do i legally concince a jury during deliberation to aquit despite the evidence?

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'm friends with a good number of local police. Last time I got brought in for selection I waved to the arresting officer and said "What's up, Louis!?" and surprisingly I was told I could leave

They don't want people who are friends with police because they assume you are biased. I'm a firefighter and when they find that out I get excused, because firefighters work with police a lot, so they assume I am biased as well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

hemophilia posted:

I actually want to be on a jury for a nonviolent drug case. I want to exercise my right to acquit against all evidence of guilt for possession cultivation or synthesis of any drug. I would give up my pay my job and my time to do this.

Thing is, in texas the only way one hold out refusing to convict matters are in cases i probably would not want to do this for.

How do i legally concince a jury during deliberation to aquit despite the evidence?

Jury room orgy?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

It's jury nullification, there's nothing illegal about it. If you're asking how to convince the other 11 people to do it then idk good luck. Odds are if you are obstinate enough they'll give in eventually just to be able to go home I guess?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

It's jury nullification, there's nothing illegal about it. If you're asking how to convince the other 11 people to do it then idk good luck. Odds are if you are obstinate enough they'll give in eventually just to be able to go home I guess?

IIRC texas only needs a unanimous verdict in a capital case so the only way i would hang a jury in that case would either be to prevent the possibility of a death penalty or if i sincerely didn't believe the evidence provided.

Texas i think, and other places you can be punished or excused for openly discussing nullification during deliberation

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I was in the selection process for a 3-week tobacco litigation trial and it was the worst anxiety I've ever felt even though it was only like a 10% chance to get selected

I'd rather spend those three weeks in jail than listening to a tobacco litigation trial

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
If I got selected and just refused to serve what would the legal consequences be? Surely they can't be as severe as being forced to sit is the most mind-numbingly boring environment for 100 hours

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I think the actual correct thing to do is just not show up, I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for their first time skipping at least. And here in FL, like 69% of summons are ignored and the state outright said that it doesn't have enough resources to prosecute people for it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Prolly contempt of court and the night in jail.

e: for being selected then refusing to serve, not for just not showing up at all

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
If you commit a crime, your fate rests in the hands of 12 people that are too stupid to get out of jury duty

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Moridin920 posted:

Prolly contempt of court and the night in jail.

Yeah I would have taken that I think as long as the mark on my record wasn't too severe and the fine was less than a couple of grand

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you can always waive your right to a jury, and I've heard it might not be a bad idea depending on the circumstances of the case (judge is more likely to care about legal details and be a stickler for things like shadow of a doubt).

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.
Being a minority works pretty well, as long as you're enough of a minority that the local prosecutors/defense attorneys don't really know what to make of you.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
just claim a family member was a victim of a similar crime, and put some effort into making them believe you - this is straight out of the mouth of a criminal defense attorney

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I know it sucks but you people really should do your civic duty. the fact we have a culture of dodging jury duty is exactly why emploiyers poo poo on employees who go through with it, because its like hey rear end in a top hat just argue about jury nullification or point at a brown person and scream a racial slur a few times like the rest of us. in turn the justice system slowly turns into ever more of a mockery of itself as selected juries increasingly are the sorts of people who have no business deciding the fate, guilt, or fault of anything or anyone, meaning that if you ever find yourself in a civil suit, if you ever find yourself facing criminal charges for something you didn't do, you can just thank yourself for the dumbass authoritarian retards the court wrangled into the jury box and just assume your guilt simply because the government thinks you're guilty.

loving go to jury duty. Long trials pay a hell of a lot better than the $5 or whatever you get for a days service, and the civil suit you'd get for getting fired for doing it in most states should cover any financial burden doing your civic duty puts upon you. jackasses.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah seriously do your goddamn jurying.

On the other hand I have never been juried or heard of anyone else being jureded. I guess there aren't very many jury trials in ontario, canada? I looked it up and there are def jury summons floating around.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I got called for jury duty twice in my home state. Sitting in that little funeral parlor in the upper basement levels of the courthouse with my potential "peers" and waiting to go back to my lovely job which paid slightly better. Told the judge I'd make a lousy juror and wished to recuse myself. They told me I was not to be part of that jury, they'd find me another. So I said "I'm going to lunch" and never went back. About a year later they sent me another summons, which I trashed. No attempt made to claim my half-days pay, no reprisals from the local authorities. I mean, if it paid a little better...

hemophilia posted:

Long trials pay a hell of a lot better than the $5 or whatever you get for a days service.
gently caress!

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Just got out of the loony bin!

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

hemophilia posted:

I know it sucks but you people really should do your civic duty. the fact we have a culture of dodging jury duty is exactly why emploiyers poo poo on employees who go through with it, because its like hey rear end in a top hat just argue about jury nullification or point at a brown person and scream a racial slur a few times like the rest of us. in turn the justice system slowly turns into ever more of a mockery of itself as selected juries increasingly are the sorts of people who have no business deciding the fate, guilt, or fault of anything or anyone, meaning that if you ever find yourself in a civil suit, if you ever find yourself facing criminal charges for something you didn't do, you can just thank yourself for the dumbass authoritarian retards the court wrangled into the jury box and just assume your guilt simply because the government thinks you're guilty.

loving go to jury duty. Long trials pay a hell of a lot better than the $5 or whatever you get for a days service, and the civil suit you'd get for getting fired for doing it in most states should cover any financial burden doing your civic duty puts upon you. jackasses.

I don't give a poo poo about how much it pays and I wouldn't get fired, but having to sit through 3 weeks of some rich rear end in a top hat's son suing a tobacco company (not defending them, the tobacco lawyers in that room are some of the few people who are truly evil, and should be in an institution) would have been one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah i just checked, the county I last got a summons for (wasn't selected for jury duty) but if I had, it was $6 for day one, and $40 for every day after.

That's not good pay, but those of you who shovel poo poo in retail where you may work a 4 or 5 hour shift for near federal minimum may note that's basically a days's worth of work or more. It's not unreasonable especially if you're also being paid by your actual job

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm at jury duty right now

Someone give me an excuse

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Stand up and scream BLACK LIVES MATTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan