Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Problem description: The monitor boots up and goes into power down mode, nothing on display.

Attempted fixes:
Checked motherboard 24 and 8 pin connections, appear good.
Double checked GPU properly seated.
Removed GPU and plugged monitor directly into I/O port.
Checked to make sure drives properly plugged in.
Reset CMOS (several times)
Replaced CMOS battery
Replaced RAM

Recent changes:

New machine made out of a combination of old and new parts. I'm downsizing my matx system into an itx one.

Parts kept:

3570k cpu
Ram (one set of Crucial Ballistix and one set of Corsair Dominator, both DDR3)
SSD's
Monitor/Displayport cable

New parts:
MSI 1080 Aero GPU (replaces prior SLI 970s)
P8Z77-I Itx motherboard (second-hand)
Corsair SF600 PSU (2nd SF600, first one I bought was DOA, second seems normal so far)
Noctua C14 cooler

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:

Ncase M1
P8Z77-I Motherboard
GTX 1080 (MSI Aero)
Crucial Ballistix DDR3 ram (2 x 4 gb)
Evo 840 and Crucial M4(I think?) SSD's (240gb each)
Corsair SF600 PSU
Gentle Typhoon Fans
First generation Asus Swift monitor.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

On first startup attempt MB speaker sound told me there was a ram issue. I checked and found the ram was not seated properly, now fixed.

On start up now the MB speaker gives one short beep. According to the MB manual, it lists one beep as:

VGA dectected
    Quick boot set to disabled
    No keyboard detected (wireless keyboard, so not a surprise there)

I presume it's POST'ing normally then.

Swapped Crucial ram for Corsair ram, both came from prior machine that functioned normally.

I've reset the CMOS (or attempted to, anyway) a couple times, and borrowed the battery from my old motherboard to swap into this one, too.

I've plugged the monitor into both the MB and the GPU, as well as removed the GPU and did MB only - no difference.

I'm hoping someone has some ideas I've missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've also now hauled the whole kit and kaboodle out of the case and redone all the tests again, both with GPU and without and still no luck.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Disconnect any drives and non-essential peripherals and try just using one stick of RAM (switch to another single stick of RAM if you don't get a picture).

If that doesn't help I'd try a different monitor and cable.

Also, a different video port if possible. VGA or other maybe if they're available.

• Locked thread