Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

proletarian_pixie posted:

The radical left can sometimes exaggerate by equating 3 (Clintonian 'neoliberalism') with (2) or even (1). Furthermore, I'd argue that the left sometimes fails to distinguish sufficiently between the policies of Bill Clinton (who ran on a classic 'Third Way' neoliberal platform and then implemented it) and Hillary Clinton (who is currently presenting herself as actually closer to an old-school "tax and spend liberal", no doubt partly thanks to Bernie Sanders). Nevertheless, there is at some connection between all of these usages.

I'm always quick to acknowledge Hillary's policies are way better than her sonofabitch husband's were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
its plugging in everyone into the matrix so they can receive virtual welfare checks. the simps will never know its not real money

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
Anarchism is inevitable. Read your Kropotkin, Bookchin, Goldman, and Bakunin now to avoid being socially isolated by the collective.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Arri posted:

Anarchism is inevitable. Read your Kropotkin, Bookchin, Goldman, and Bakunin now to avoid being socially isolated by the collective.

when we get to that point almost none of the collective will have read any of them and reading them will get you isolated

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
neoliberalism is the country that Hill Gundam is from

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Are we supposed to jokingly not answer op's question? I'm still new to this. Neoliberalism is the sort of liberalism you're seeing in the post-Clinton years, but it's specifically used by folks who are trying to distance today's liberals from the social liberal/fiscal "conservatives" (then liberals) of the early 1900s.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Neoliberalism is that thing where you want to bomb brown folk and starve poor folk, but you don't think it should matter if the poor folk that are starving are black or white, gay or straight.

The brown folk that get bombed definitely have to be brown tho.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Let me ask you this, what is neorealism?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Commerz posted:

a quaint academic belief that has no real influence on policymaking as the vast majority of diplomats, politicians, bureaucrats are somewhere between neoconservatives and liberal internationalists

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

KaptainKrunk posted:

a quaint academic belief that has no real influence on policymaking as the vast majority of diplomats, politicians, bureaucrats are somewhere between neoconservatives and liberal internationalists

I just started studying IR so I'm throwing buzzwords around to get a feel for it. This is good to know.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

are all the elite level foreign policy people basically just indistinguishable clones of each other

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and if so why?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Commerz posted:

cool italian cinema

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

realism is the old idea that generally states will pursue their own interests, and generally know what those interests are. neither is true, but it's a passable first approximation for policy.

neorealism is a modern attempt to formalise and abstract this notion which doesn't really work at all, but feels sciencey so has hegemony in american journals.

the main function of realism in us foreign policy discourse is to be a thing people claim to be to feel good about themselves while peddling khornate navel-gazing.

source: old convos with an IR friend, reading a book once

FBH991
Nov 26, 2010
To be fair, it's also a way to justify your anti-knornate naval-gazing.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

next questions for the thread: neoclassical economics, neo tokyo, neopets

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Peel posted:

next questions for the thread: neoclassical economics, neo tokyo, neopets

no, yes, no

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Peel posted:

neoclassical economics

capitalism is cool because 1) ~free market~ left to its own devices will solve things like unemployment so if there's any it isn't its fault guys I swear 2) income and wealth inequality aren't caused by power or class or history but by the magical little marginal productive fairy. You can imagine how mindfucked they are when they take a look outside

Peel posted:

neo tokyo

's about to EXPLODE
Neopets is above my pay grade

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Commerz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ML4LD7mVs

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zas posted:

and if so why?

Cash rules everything around you. "Elite Level foreign policy people" just want to make the world a better place, for themselves anyone who cares about others, doesn't make it that far.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zas posted:

are all the elite level foreign policy people basically just indistinguishable clones of each other

(((neoliberals)))

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

What is constructivism

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

what is love?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

What Is Trotskyism?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I asked all your moms those questions last night

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
If a Trotskyite writes a newspaper but nobody reads it, does it fuel the inevitable worker's revolution?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Homework Explainer posted:

What Is Trotskyism?

someone looked at Leninist thinking and said 'I can make this worse' and somehow managed to trick a bunch of people who claim to be anti-imperialist to support the writings of the head of the Red Army who believed eternal revolution was the path to prosperity (for the Red Army)

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Who ARE these Democrats?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

KaptainKrunk posted:

Who ARE these Democrats?

you

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Commerz posted:

What is constructivism

states construct a vision of the world around them and their place in it which informs their actions

so china's self-image as temporarily embarassed superpower led it to overreach and have a coalition form against it

america views itself as the hero of history and unironically uses the term 'leader of the free world', so it interprets opposition as inherently illegitimate, so you get americans genuinely confused about why e.g. iran is so suspicious and hostile to the us and asking why they are 'insane', and popularity of notions like 'responsibility to protect'

russia was much more suspicious of nato during the post-cold-war expansion and recent ukraine conflict than nato anticipated, so nato was caught off guard (see above) by how strongly they responded

it's less silly than realism but kind of useless to get solid predictions out of except on a super case-by-case basis requiring a ton of specific knowledge. but imo there's no reason to think state behaviour is going to be more predictable than that anyway, it's questionable whether 'the state' is even the best analytical unit

source: same as before

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

KaptainKrunk posted:

Not quite

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Peel posted:

Good info

My lecturer said that pretty much everyone is in the constructivist camp in Australia and it does seem the most reasonable. Unfortunately he also said that every single Chinese person hes asked in his many visits to China has been of the opinion that the nine-dashed line is totally legitimate. China emerging as a competing hegemonic power to the United States is going to suck for the world. The ASEAN states are a loving mess right now and cannot deal with it at all. Middle powers don't look like they'll be that effective either. I can't wait till a U.S. military base gets built in my city because they want more presence in the pacific!!

My understanding was a lot of U.S. policy makers are realists and also don't give a gently caress about what anyone else in the world thinks/never cites them.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

"fiscally conservative, socially liberal" and really likes wars and are troops/freedom

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
hello again friends :)

I feel as if this article on the incoming death of neoliberalism is good and cool

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/21/death-of-neoliberalism-crisis-in-western-politics

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

KaptainKrunk posted:

Who ARE these Democrats?

all ur base belong to us.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
In the gloom of mighty cities
Mid the roar of whirling wheels,
We are toiling on like chattel slaves of old,
And our masters hope to keep us
Ever thus beneath their heels,
And to coin our very life blood into gold.

But we have a glowing dream
Of how fair the world will seem
When each man can live his life secure and free.
When the earth is owned by Labor
And there's joy and peace for all
In the commonwealth of Toil that is to be.

They would keep us cowed and beaten
Cringing meekly at their feet.
They would stand between each worker and his bread.
Shall we yield our lives up to them
For the bitter crust we eat?
Shall we only hope for heaven when we're dead?

They have laid our lives out for us
To the utter end of time.
Shall we stagger on beneath their heavy load?
Shall we let them live forever
In their gilded halls of crime
With our children doomed to toil beneath their goad?

When our cause is all triumphant
And we claim our Mother Earth,
And the nightmare of the present fades away.
We shall live with Love and Laughter,
We, who now are little worth,
And we'll not regret the price we have to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Prof. Lurker posted:

hello again friends :)

I feel as if this article on the incoming death of neoliberalism is good and cool

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/aug/21/death-of-neoliberalism-crisis-in-western-politics

You seem to have confused this forum for D&D.

• Locked thread