Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zaroff posted:

I wonder how Crusade would have looked had there not been network interference with things like wanting a brand new episode 1, as well as not being cancelled right before they would have filmed its equivalent of Signs and Portents?

Undoubtedly better, that interference was completely boneheaded, but it still probably wouldn't have survived to a second season. And I say that as a weirdo who liked Crusade, even down to the completely different musical direction it took. People just didn't seem interested in what JMS was offering that second time around, especially airing on mid-90s TNT.

I get the feeling that a series in part about the corrupting influences of power set against the backdrop of a global pandemic might have hit differently if it'd come out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

have a zathras for no reason at all

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Zaroff posted:

I wonder how Crusade would have looked had there not been network interference with things like wanting a brand new episode 1, as well as not being cancelled right before they would have filmed its equivalent of Signs and Portents?

As far as I know, the network didn't dictate the "D&D game" stuff in Crusade. Having the main cast set up like a D&D party with a fighter (the commander), cleric (the doctor), magic user (technomage) and thief (the thief), and adding an actual Thieves Guild to the Babylon 5 station were JMS's idea and not the network's. That is a strong contrast with B5 the series, where characters tended to be more realistic (though often larger-than-life) and varied rather than fitting that specific set or roles, and that tended to try for realistic social structures like criminal gangs instead of gamey ones like a thieves guild that holds court and formal greetings for visiting thieves. While some people would like that, I think that overall it would be a barrier to wider acceptance, and have caused some of the B5 fans who came over to see the next B5 thing to drift away.

The network interference certainly didn't help, but I remember I definitely didn't click with the series the way I did with B5, and it wasn't primarily the annoying scheduling or the changes attributed to the network.

McSpanky posted:

I get the feeling that a series in part about the corrupting influences of power set against the backdrop of a global pandemic might have hit differently if it'd come out today.

I'm not sure that a series about a virus engineered by an enemy state that is quickly cured and backgrounded in the second season (what JMS said his plan was) would hit the right marks, though. That seems like it would lean way into the narrative of 'China made the virus to hit us and it would be easy to fix but the government chose not to so they can control us' which I don't think JMS would want to do, and would definitely turn off a lot of potential viewers.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 8, 2024

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Is this the definitive blu-ray HD version? I have the 2000s DVD sets but upgrading eould be great. There was a wonky blu-ray a few years ago I held off on.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That link is a little borked but the blu ray that's 46% off has good reviews, i just bought it.

Looks like the packaging is rubbish and there aren't any extras (so no commentary), but the picture is good.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been watching Crusade for the first time. Good lord what a weird show. I can see why it got cancelled, though occasionally it's brilliant. The X-Files episode is nuts.

On reflection having recently finished watching Crusade for the first time, even with JMS attempting to dumb down the show before TNT came in and made it worse, I think there's something there. When there is a good script (generally the earlier production order ones with the gray uniforms) the cast is pretty engaged, and you can see there's some potential juice to the whole thing. It is a bummer we never got to see the later arc stuff he had planned out for it, because it does sound pretty interesting.

It's very weird for the show to completely waste Daniel Dae Kim, he barely does anything!

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.
Rewatched "Grail" last week. It's bad. It's not TKO-bad but it's so bad. None of the guest actors are fun in their roles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ravenson posted:

Rewatched "Grail" last week. It's bad. It's not TKO-bad but it's so bad. None of the guest actors are fun in their roles.

Oh yeah? Try watching it while you are literally reading le mort d'arthur in high school.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Clouseau posted:

It is a bummer we never got to see the later arc stuff he had planned out for it, because it does sound pretty interesting.

What was the plan? I know the plague was going to be cured relatively early and then the show would do other stuff, but I don't know any details.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
IIRC it was about the Earth government using Shadow technology.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh yeah? Try watching it while you are literally reading le mort d'arthur in high school.

Time being linear, this will be difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

What was the plan? I know the plague was going to be cured relatively early and then the show would do other stuff, but I don't know any details.

We know they were going to “find a cure” fairly early, say in the second season. People are leaping to conclusions to think that “the crew of the ship found the cure” is the same as “the plague has been cured.”

We know Gideon would have seen the Shadow-ish ship that killed his destroyer when he was younger, and they’d trace it and find an Earthforce blacksite experimenting with Shadow tech. Gideon would have been killed but would have ended up in the Apocalypse Box, possibly to be reconstituted in S2.

My guess: the Shadowtech people in Earthforce do not care about the cure and want the Excalibur destroyed because they could expose the conspiracy, so by the end of S2 the crew has the cure but is being hunted and can’t tell who they can trust.

I had a wilder theory that the nanotech plague is actually sentient and they’d end up communicating with it and allying with it against the Shadowtech people on the grounds that they’re doing unauthorized Shadowtech stuff. There’s also some possibility that one or more Technomages are either assisting the conspiracy or running it. But none of that is confirmed.