Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molochian
Jul 10, 2015
So I just assembled a PC for gaming purposes, and cannot get windows to boot from USB drives for the life of me. Mechanical assembly was a nonissue, and important specs are an intel i5 CPU, Asrock h97 anniversary MB, and GEforce GTX590 GPU.

I created bootmedia on my macbook from the clean, theoretically usable win10 64 iso that MS is currently offering on their site. I formatted a 16gig USB into exFAT to fit the iso and burned it to register as "wininstall". When plugged into my MB and given boot priority in the UEFI, the farthest it gets is a continuously blinking DOS-style underscore. I then used apple terminal to manually burn boot media on the USB and formatted an external hard drive and did the same, all to no avail.

I then followed similar steps and created bootmedia for Ubuntu as a test and -wouldn't you know- it booted up and installed perfectly. With my limited linux knowledge I then tried using wine to excecute the MS media creator tool itself but can't get it to run. I'm perplexed as to why the windows iso isn't registering whatsoever, especially since it's 100% legit, and why linux would have no issues. I'll be back in front of the machine in a few hours, so if anyone has some profound insight as to what I'm doing wrong I can try it then. Save me plx

Molochian fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The real issue is why you're trying to install Windows 10 over a perfectly fine Ubuntu install.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Your flash drive needs to be fat32, not exFat.

Get access to a windows machine and run the media creation tool and have it make your flash drive for you.

Also before you install make sure you go into your bios and turn on secure boot and fast boot. That way it will install the OS so it boots the fastest.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ItBurns posted:

The real issue is why you're trying to install Windows 10 over a perfectly fine Ubuntu install.
because he wants to run software afterward

Anyway Don is right; you need a FAT32 drive. If you can't somehow get the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft then there are guides out there to use a Win10 ISO with Rufus that you might be able to adapt to the Ubuntu disks tool or whatever still runs on a Mac.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Surely the format of the USB stick before it's overwritten with an ISO image is irrelevant? I'd be checking UEFI settings in the BIOS, since Ubuntu is probably just booting in legacy BIOS mode.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

..btt posted:

Surely the format of the USB stick before it's overwritten with an ISO image is irrelevant? I'd be checking UEFI settings in the BIOS, since Ubuntu is probably just booting in legacy BIOS mode.

You are basically just copying the contents of the ISO to the drive. The format of the drive can be anything and it can still copy over. Hes not using the official microsoft utility which would have properly formatted the drive fat32.

An iso isn't fat32, or ntfs, or anything like that so a utility that doens't know what you are doing wont change anything.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Oh, I assumed these utilities wrote the raw image rather than extracting the files and copying to the existing format of the drive.

I'd still check the BIOS though, sometimes I've had trouble booting Windows install media when they're set to legacy mode.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

..btt posted:

Oh, I assumed these utilities wrote the raw image rather than extracting the files and copying to the existing format of the drive.

Depends on the utility. Rufus formats the drive as part of the process, Unetbootin (for example) doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Don Lapre posted:

An iso isn't fat32, or ntfs, or anything like that
A typical iso actually is a complete binary copy of everything that was on a disc/volume, its contents are byte-for-byte the same. So the data in a typical iso file does in fact contain a filesystem such as fat32, and the associated filesystem metadata such as the actual "file allocation table" for FAT32.

It is true that what steps need to be done depends on what utility you're using to write the contents of the ISO to the USB drive. Most utilities that do this will actually mount the filesystem found within the ISO file and then copy all the files and folders to the USB drive, not necessarily messing with the USB drive's filesystem. It is also possible to write software that simply wipes the USB drive and writes the ISO on there byte-for-byte, including the filesystem tables boot sector etc. This is what the other guy was talking about when he said "Oh, I assumed these utilities wrote the raw image." However I don't think any software that works like that exists for modern OSes, I'm unsure and might be wrong on that point.

Anyway with utilities that function the way I claimed "most" do, the USB drive needs to be correctly formatted first and a boot sector needs to be written first - whether by the same utility or a separate piece of software. Software utilities designed for the express purpose of making bootable OS installation media will do all this but you may sometimes need to watch out to choose the correct settings (like in Rufus for example you can choose what filesystem it will use.) The official microsoft media creation tool takes care of it all for you because that tool is very specifically for making windows install media.

If you're not using software that was designed expressly to create OS installation media you have to do these steps on your own. The top voted answer shows an example of accomplishing these steps manually in Linux: http://serverfault.com/questions/6714/how-to-make-windows-7-usb-flash-install-media-from-linux

Before the official MS tool existed, people did these 3 steps manually on Windows too. Example: http://www.askvg.com/how-to-create-bootable-usb-drive-to-install-windows-vista/

• Locked thread