Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
Problem description: After leaving my PC idle for random amounts of time, it will completely freeze and require a hard boot to fix. I say "random amounts of time" because it could range anywhere from 10-20 minutes to 2-3 days before it freezes, but has been happening consistently since I built this machine at the beginning of this year.

Attempted fixes: I had originally installed Windows 7 Pro on my machine, and after doing some research, thought that may have been the problem. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 Ultimate which seemed to fix the issue at first, but after a week or so, it started doing the same thing again. I also recently replaced my old PSU with a new fully-modular PSU, but again, continues to freeze. I have also checked all of my power settings and turned off ALL sleep settings. All drivers are up-to-date and BIOS firmware has been updated.

Recent changes: No recent changes other than swapping power supplies and moving to Windows 10, but this issue was occurring before those changes were made.

--

Operating system: Previously Windows 7 Professional, now running Windows 10 Ultimate.

System specs:
Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
ASRock Z170M Pro4S LGA 1151 mATX Intel Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR4-2400
PNY XLR8 120GB SATA III 6GB/s 2.5" Internal SSD (Primary drive with OS)
Western Digital Blue WD5000AAJS 500GB 7200 RPM HDD (Secondary drive for games, extra storage)
ASUS GeForce GTX 970
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W Gold Certified Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Have you tried a fresh install of Win10 just to clean out the old garbage from the upgrade from Win7? Could be bad driver conflicts or some poo poo. I'd say do a fresh wipe and see what happens before you go gung ho on replacing hardware.

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

Slayerjerman posted:

Have you tried a fresh install of Win10 just to clean out the old garbage from the upgrade from Win7? Could be bad driver conflicts or some poo poo. I'd say do a fresh wipe and see what happens before you go gung ho on replacing hardware.

Thanks for the response. I should've been more specific when I first submitted the thread - I formatted both drives and did a clean install of Windows 10 when moving up from Windows 7.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you checked the health of your drives using Crystal Disk Info?

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you checked the health of your drives using Crystal Disk Info?

I had not up to this point, however, I just did and all drives check out good.

I have a 1TB Seagate Expansion Portable Drive as well. I have had it unplugged for the last day or so and it hasn't frozen up again. I wonder if that could be causing the issue. Model # SRD00F1.

I looked on their website for drivers, but came up with nothing. It's a USB 2.0 drive and this computer only has 3.0, but my understanding is that 3.0 is backwards compatible. Correct me if I'm wrong there. I did another drive test with it connected and it came back good.

I am going to leave it disconnected and see if my machine freezes up again. If not, at least I'll know where the issue was coming from. Please feel free to hit me with anymore suggestions you may have in the mean time.

Thanks again.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
For the record, I had the exact same problem with an old machine and in my case it was a stick of bad RAM. Maybe test those?

dishwasherwong
Sep 20, 2006

Best taken in small doses.
Not sure if your problem has been solved to but I couldn't help but notice that you and I share the same processor. I had this issue occur for me as well following a troubleshooting session I was having with the Witcher 3. Although it turned out to be nothing to do with the BIOS, I ended up updating it and then this very same random freezing issue started to occur. Google searches showed that that turning C-States off in the BIOS stopped or limited this issue from occurring.

I did not build my rig and the issue did not happen when I first bought it, so I don't know if this functionality was switched off and then got defaulted back to "on" when I updated the BIOS; but the issue started happening shortly thereafter.

Might be worth a shot although you'll need to tinker about in the BIOS settings to find C-States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

Hey everyone, sorry I am just now looping back around to this. I was on vacation and just got back this evening. Thank you for the responses.

botany posted:

For the record, I had the exact same problem with an old machine and in my case it was a stick of bad RAM. Maybe test those?

I did a quick memtest and everything came back clean. I didn't do any extensive testing, however. I may let an extensive memtest run tonight and see if it comes up with anything. Good suggestion.

dishwasherwong posted:

Not sure if your problem has been solved to but I couldn't help but notice that you and I share the same processor. I had this issue occur for me as well following a troubleshooting session I was having with the Witcher 3. Although it turned out to be nothing to do with the BIOS, I ended up updating it and then this very same random freezing issue started to occur. Google searches showed that that turning C-States off in the BIOS stopped or limited this issue from occurring.

I did not build my rig and the issue did not happen when I first bought it, so I don't know if this functionality was switched off and then got defaulted back to "on" when I updated the BIOS; but the issue started happening shortly thereafter.

Might be worth a shot although you'll need to tinker about in the BIOS settings to find C-States.

Also a great suggestion. I am going to poke around in my BIOS tonight and see if I can figure out where the C-States settings are at. I honestly had no idea that these settings even existed. After doing some quick Googling on it, it looks like other people with very similar issues solved it by turning these off.

Also -- as I mentioned before, I had a suspicion that my external HD had something to do with it. I unplugged my external HD and left my PC running for the 6 days that I was out of town, and it looks like no freezes occurred. Obviously this has raised my suspicions even further that it has something to do with my external. I am still not sold that this is the underlying issue, however. I am going to keep poking around with your suggestions up to this point and see how it plays out from there.

I'll report back after I change the C-State settings and run a longer memtest.

• Locked thread