Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Help me, goons! My wife, year-old son and I are going to rent out our house, leave the UK and do some long-term travelling around Europe starting in October. The plan is to take advantage of EU freedom of movement for as long as we can before Brexit fucks things up :argh: and rent a house or flat in a different country for just under six months at a time to avoid the need to declare residency (we'll still be considered UK-resident for tax purposes, etc).

Currently looking at Almeria as a starting point for a warm winter, then maybe head to the south of France for summer, or elsewhere if we feel like it - all options are open. (If we don't like the experience, we might even come back home, but hopefully not!) I wanted to see if anyone has useful advice based on experience of the day-to-day practicalities: things like how to handle bank accounts and currency transfers (I want to keep my UK account, but don't want every single transaction to have a surcharge whacked on top of it because of pound/euro exchange fees), the best phone SIM options, insurance (we'll be taking two vehicles, a car and a camper van), how well the standard EHIC card covers healthcare if you're there for more than a few weeks, and so on.

We'll also be taking pets with us as we don't want to rehome them - two dogs, two cats and a rabbit. (Well, I'm okay with rehoming the rabbit, but my wife's made it clear that ain't happening without a very good reason!) They'll have vaccinations and pet passports, but will there be anything to watch out for?

Also any other helpful hints about long-term travelling around Europe are welcome!

EDIT: probably going to rehome the rabbit and cats.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread