Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Problem description:
My PC stutters and shuts off during gaming and sometimes while watching streaming video and I’m at a loss as to why. At first I thought it was my r9 380 going bad in some way, but I’m not doubting that is the cause of the issue. I’ve ended up replacing the GPU with a Gefore 1070 G1 8 gig model, but the problem persists.

During the period using r9 380 GPU games would occasionally stutter into oblivion stuck on a screen and making a loud repeating noise. This might happen 1 out of 50+(rough estimate) times of playing a game without warning. Most of the time the PC can be turned off using the manual power button. In extremely rare circumstances I have to manually turn the PSU off and then back on to stop the issue.

More frequently games will just end and Win 10 will BSOD, which I’ve been told shouldn’t be happening these days, send notes and a reference code then restart. For the life of me I haven’t been able to recall the code or capture it. Iron_blue_somethingsomething sounds right.
The above BSOD will occur during streaming of Twitch or Netflix for varying lengths of time. Twitch seem to be the biggest offender in setting this issue off.

All this in mind I suspected it was my R9 380 GPU as I was getting screen tearing and some other artifacting in games. Using that excuse I purchased a 1070 thinking that would fix the issue. You can imagine the displeasure of testing out games and running into the same issues. The games run perfect up until the point they poo poo the bed.

I was watching the DOTA tournament, without any other major programs running in the background, and the game stuttered infinitely and the PC failed to respond to the power switch. I ended up having to manually reset the PSU to get the issue to stop. Upon restart – no issues. Computer acts as normal. :/

Attempted fixes: Purchased a new GPU. Downloaded GPU-Z at an attempt to log future issues & monitor GPU temps.

Recent changes: r9 380 4gb --> GTX 1070 8gb. Used Display driver uninstaller before 1070 install.

Operating system: Windows 10 premium 64 bit

System specs:

Ram: 2 x 4 Gig DDR3 1600 - HyperX Blu
CPU: I5-4570 - stock cooler
Mobo: ASRock LGA1150 H87 PRO4
PSU: 750w Corsair CX750M

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250 gig - Boot drive
HDD: 1 TB WD Bblue - storage drive. nearly full & I can't down why it's full or what is occupying a majority of the space.

So here I am confused, irritated, and curious as to what components in the PC are leading to this issue. Could my ram be hosed? CPU having issues? PSU? Software?
Is there any way to track down the windows PC BSODs this computer has had? I’m at a loss guys as to what to do. Is there way I could better track the shut downs that would help me path this back to what might be the issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
Under device manager (Windows button, search "device manager") is any device coming up as unrecognized (with a little warning sign next to it)? Running a check disk could help your issue if it's something to do with a failing drive. If you start command prompt in admin mode --> type "chkdsk C: /f /r /x" (I'm assuming C is your main drive with games and applications) and let it run from there. Save all your open work however before running it. The above check disk command btw attempts to fix any issues detected. Another test to see if it is your RAM thats the issue is to search "mdsched" in windows search which should return Windows Memory Diagnostic which upon opening will prompt you to reboot and run the memory test. That will diagnose if it's a memory issue.

Diesl fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 12, 2016

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Thank you for the advice. Ill check that soon and report back on updates.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
The memory test checked out fine, but I ran into a road block when trying to do the disc checks through the command prompt. Trying to run disc check leads to 'Access denied... You have to invoke this utility in elevated mode.' Which is odd because I have myself as admin, or so I think. Tried to enable the admin mode by running ' Net user administrator /active:yes ' in command prompt, as I found in a guide, and I get "Access denied" back. Now I'm really confused.

Also concerned this might be an overheating issue with the CPU. It's running an old stock cooler that's a bit dusty. Could stand to clean it up and see if that doesn't help.

Edit I downloaded CPUID as a temp monitoring program. Played a game of SC2 and the temp was averaging ~65-70*C, but noted at maxed ~78 - 80*C. I think it might be my CPU overheating during gaming sessions.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 13, 2016

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
Might be a stupid question but have you tried typing cmd into windows search, right clikcing and runnning as admin, then doing the disk check again?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Diesl posted:

Might be a stupid question but have you tried typing cmd into windows search, right clikcing and runnning as admin, then doing the disk check again?

I have not, until I read your post. Done and done. Thanks.

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
Hm okay. Have you cleaned the fans and made sure there isn't dust in the system? You can pick up compressed air at most computer stores.

E: Great! That'll pick up any faults in your disk and cleaning the fans will help the CPU temps

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006

Diesl posted:

Hm okay. Have you cleaned the fans and made sure there isn't dust in the system? You can pick up compressed air at most computer stores.

E: Great! That'll pick up any faults in your disk and cleaning the fans will help the CPU temps

On my way to get some soon. I have an aftermarket cooler kicking around somewhere, however I'm trying to recall why I opted not to use it. Either way I'm gonna find it this weekend and consider adding it into the system. I appreciate all the suggestions - this issue has been frustrating to say the least.

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
No problem man, happy to help! I know how annoying these types of issues are to deal with

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Unfortunately cleaning off the cooler didn't do much. Temps are a bit lower, but the problem still occurs. I'm wondering if perhaps the thermal paste might have losented or a pushpin on the CPU cooler may have. The only game I'm achieving this issue in is Dota2 currently. SC2 & Diablo 3 aren't reproducing it.

Otherwise I'm so confused as to what's leading to this issue. Not sure how to go about logging it up unto the crash because it's unpredictable.

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
Can you get the exact time the BSOD happens then look back in your windows application log in computer management -> sytem tools -> event viewer and see if there are any processes terminating around that time/throwing errors right before the BSOD?

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Unfortunately it's not BSODing most of the time anymore, but stuttering in game and being unresponsive otherwise. I cannot use task manager or any other program. I can turn off the PC by holding down the power switch, which I just found out about, or manually cycling the PSU switch. Gonna go pick up my aftermarket cooler soon if I can find it. Otherwise I might be purchasing one. Still looking for ways to diagnose this issue. Will update you on any changes or if I'm able to snag a BSOD code.

I looked up the info for the CPU on ARK and found the max T for case is set at 72*C. I know the CPU is working to at least that temp in games I'm running high settings at. I think I might just be pushing my CPU to the limit with the new GPU and hadn't considered that with stock cooler ~ 3 years old might not be efficiently cooling. Definitely going to get that aftermarket cooler soon.

I was playing Witcher 3 Blood and Wine earlier with temp monitoring on. The game ran fine initially, but after a few mins it started bogging down and lagging. All processes on my computer were lagging and the CPU was sitting around 71 - 75*C per core with maxes ~80*C. Ended up having to do a total restart because the whole computer became incredibly sluggish in its responses.

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 14, 2016

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
Just heads up, resetting the power like that is super bad for it. Doing it a few times is okay but prolonged usage will hurt your computer more. You've almost exhausted my knowledge of why it's running into issues lol. Run a virus scan with malwarebytes is the last thing I can think of really. That and maybe registry cleaning with ccleaner

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah I figured it wasn't too great for anything. Ill try to avoid it from here on out. WIll check for malware as well as install a CPU cooler and see if things don't change. The good news is the Witcher ran in ultra last night without crashing for at least 3 hours. So there's that.

Thanks for all your help. I'll update if I find any solutions

Diesl
Aug 7, 2016
No problem man, wish you the best of luck!

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
A little update on this.

I ended up purchasing an Evo Hyper 212 not realizing how big it was. When I removed the old stock intel heat sink the paste had turned to powder. In the midst of trying to re-use the stock CPU cooler I ended up installing it with one peg not seated and the CPU temp ramped to 90*C according to my monitoring software so I know it couldn't have been an overheating isssue leading to the studdering. I couldn't get it to re-seat well so I ended up installing the 212 which was more invasive than I intended to get, but thankfully it works perfect. CPU temps are incredibly low now getting no greater than 50*C under maximum load.

During all this I noticed my 500 gb storage HDD was about 99% full. Thinking this might be a read-write issue with the HDD I deleted 20 gigs worth of space on it. Still trying to figure out what is occupying the rest of it as I can account for about 300 gigs worth of the storage on it, but not the remainder. Any how freeing up space on the drive has completely relieved the issue of freezing. Knock on wood. I've been playing fallout 4 on high & ultra without any issues for a good while. So far the system seems stable enough. Now I just need to install this 1 tb drive for more space.

Thanks for your help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

onemanlan posted:

Still trying to figure out what is occupying the rest of it as I can account for about 300 gigs worth of the storage on it, but not the remainder.

You can use this to figure that out:
http://spacemonger.en.softonic.com/download

• Locked thread