Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Problem description: I've bought a new wireless headset for gaming to replace my wired one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CWI1LVY/), but the microphone is significantly quieter than the old one - I literally have to shout with it directly in front of my mouth to get the same output as my old mic. The option to adjust the gain on the new mic is present in Sound settings, but it is positioned all the way to the left on the slider at 1dB and cannot be changed. It isn't greyed out and there are no indications that it isn't adjustable, but it refuses to budge when attempting to drag the slider.

Attempted fixes: Checked and unchecked various options in Sound settings such as allowing/disallowing programs to take exclusive control of the mic, checked for any mic options in the RealTek HD Audio manager (there aren't, since it connects via USB receiver). Fiddled with the auto-gain settings in TeamSpeak to see if I can get around it, and it can definitely boost the output to an acceptable level, but the loudness of the mic then bounces all over the place as it struggles to compensate, so I really need to boost the gain at system level.

Recent changes: No, and my old mic still works just fine.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

System specs: CPU: i5 3760k
RAM: 16GB DDR3
Gfx: AMD R9 280
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX
On-board sound

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, but I've found nothing for this specific problem - I've found either guides on where to find the gain control or issues with gain control not appearing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMPH
Sep 11, 2013
Seems like poorly developed drivers not optimized for > Windows 7.

Preamble/Backdoor solution:

I hate Windows Audio. They add a pop-up quick volume with new UI style, yet leave the old "volume mixer" and "device settings" in the dust.

I also hate USB microphones / headphone. I see the convenience of 1 plug, but if you are using a laptop and need that port for your gaming mouse / keyboard / secure usb - not left with many other options.

ANYWAYS.

Try using VoiceMeeter Bananna:
VoiceMeeter Banana

On the homepage you can see the default mixer at 0 - with lots of headroom. Actually goes to +12.
Each input also has a "Gate" option - so when you are boosting way past recommended levels, you can try to cut out all the extra white noise.

I use this mixer because of my previously stated hatred of Windows Mixer and since Im a musician / producer - the ASIO drivers with this and latency are amaze-ballz.

Good luck.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cool, I'll give that a go later, thanks!

• Locked thread