Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Breakfast Cult is a Fate Accelerated game of cosmic horror and high school drama. You play students at Occultar Academy, the near-future world's most prestigious occult high school, as they struggle with societal pressures, the servants of the Ancient Ones, and homework. Solve weird mysteries and try to survive until your university entrance exams!

Breakfast Cult is a goon project that began as the winning entry to a 2013 design contest and eventually made it to Kickstarter. It's finally available in print (:10bux:), and some expansion packs are in the works thanks to KS stretch goals.

New Rules
Breakfast Cult is close to standard Fate Accelerated, with a few tweaks:
  • Talents: Every character has one thing they're amazing at, whether it's a specific type of magic or yo-yos or something. Once per scene, when they invoke the relevant character aspect, they can choose to flip their dice result (so +s become -s and vice versa).
  • Agendas: Some NPCs (and PCs!) have secret Agenda aspects that drive them to mess with or hinder the investigation. Players will have to figure out who's got one and work around them to solve the mystery—or try to pursue theirs without being caught.
  • Occult Science: In keeping with FAE's simple design goals, Breakfast Cult uses a loose magic system that relies on approaches, character aspects, and narrative rules over extra mechanics.

Releases

Breakfast Cult: The main book, with everything you need to play.

Peer Pressure: A pay-what-you-want primer and sample episode for people who want to tip me extra try Breakfast Cult out for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Hey, did you know that I played this game with the Six Feats Under crew? It was quite good and if you're on the fence about this game being just another FATE setting, check it out: http://www.sixfeatsunder.com/breakfast-cult/

Agendas are the big thing that really makes the system go a little above and beyond, and also the Old Ones are pretty cool too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Congratulations to our shill mod on his unlicensed Corpse Party tie-in RPG!

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 12, 2016

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
You should also thank Gnome, Dagon, the artists, and Ironicus :colbert:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I've been in a couple games of this now (yay playtesting, also I helped with some art), and clearly I have played the Best Characters.

In seriousness, the NPCs might be my favorite part of Breakfast Cult. There's a ton of them, but they manage to be distinct and bring in a lot of elements without feeling disjointed. Of everything, they really nail down the style of the game. In fact, the majority of them make solid premades for a pickup game or new player.

Selecting the NPCs the party interacts with is probably the key part of setting up a BC game, even more than the Ancient antagonist. The NPCs are the ones the party is going to interact with the most, so they really set the tone.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I did the character sheet for this game - here's a form-fillable PDF version that didn't make it into the official release. Might be a bit rough around the edges, but I should be able to fix any major issues with it.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ziyh6r9cc1qa170/bcultsheet-fillable.pdf

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Comrade Gorbash posted:

In seriousness, the NPCs might be my favorite part of Breakfast Cult.

You're just saying this because I wrote one of yours in :colbert:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ettin posted:

You're just saying this because I wrote one of yours in :colbert:

I like them too, and mine didn't make the cut!

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
I've been excited to try this game out ever since 6FU did a side game of it! I'm gonna be part a game a friend is doing soon, so I'm hype.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Hey, I was looking at page 81 of Breakfast Cult and I found this thing here

The redacted text on the same page reads as follows:

quote:

ASPECTS
Durwood,
There’s something wrong with this file. The supplementary GAME OVER material is untouched, but someone has been through our friend X’s dossier and corrupted his personal details. Please look into this before our next meeting. Do not inform the Steering Committee about this.
— H
APPROACHES
Careful: A (+3) Flashy: C (+1) Quick: D (+0) Clever: C (+1) Forceful: B (+2) Sneaky: B (+2)
STUNTS
CM,
I think you’re on to something, this file definitely had something to do with it. Spoofing Foundation cred doesn’t fix the dossier though so we need more. I heard X stashed something in the pigpen and I don’t see it in these files, maybe they missed it? Get me a list of the best students to approach the pig problem and maybe we can solve this.
— J

I know that's a reference to pigpen ciphers, but all the usual ones start with nonsense. Anybody good with cryptography?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Is that a pirated copy? I don't remember this :shrug:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Ettin posted:

Is that a pirated copy? I don't remember this :shrug:

If it is, someone inserted it into the printer proofs too. The redaction isn't perfect--under the right light you can see the symbols and text, at least in the hardcover book (which I have--thanks, Ettin!).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Breakfast Cult! I did art for this!

Specifically this logo! I also playtested an early version of this as my first PBP!

Seeing the print version out in the wild is super exciting and I have to get my own copy.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I hear the creator of this game is a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and his butt smells and he likes to kiss his own butt.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Peer Pressure is now available in print.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Got my print copy today, and it's lovely. Softback, bigger and thicker than I expected, pictures're good quality though some are a bit pixellated - low-res source images, I'm guessing. That's just nitpicking, though. And it's WEIRD seeing something I made bound into a proper book.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Finally dropped the first stretch goal: Sweet Shub And Hella Thotep, a Cthulhu Mythos expansion pack. :cthulhu:

It has Cthuhlu, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, the Deep Ones, Mi-Go, Lovecraft's Ghost, and a bunch of obscure references nobody cares about. One of the later stretch goals (Field Trip of Unknown Kadath) has Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth, and the Dreamlands. and if there's anything else I should add I am still open to suggestions!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Weird question: Is it supposed to be 53 pages (well, 59 with front cover and credits and such)? It just looks like a weird number, and the apparent lack of a back cover makes the monkey typesetter in my brain shriek that something's missing.

Rather appropriate for Mythos material, really.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Bieeardo posted:

Weird question: Is it supposed to be 53 pages (well, 59 with front cover and credits and such)? It just looks like a weird number, and the apparent lack of a back cover makes the monkey typesetter in my brain shriek that something's missing.

Rather appropriate for Mythos material, really.
Normally I'd put the back cover on the second page of the PDF, but I'm still waiting for a final version of the art I was gonna stick there. (That's basically why print isn't up yet.) I don't think anything else is missing.

That said though, I should probably add a couple pages to the end for the print version? DTRPG prefers books this size to have page counts divisible by 4 or one page off, IIRC.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, cool. It didn't seem like anything was missing, but most of the rulebook PDFs I've got seem to copy their print edition layouts, extra space and kind-of redundant back covers and all.

I really enjoyed this adaptation of the mythos. It's always fun to see the familiar weirdness through a new lens.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Breakfast Cult is in Bundle of Holding's Bundle of Nerves +4, along with a bunch of other sweet titles.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I picked it up, and I'm am already dreaming about getting to run it! Great job!

Sorta spoilers for GM section only stuff, I guess.

The Madness of Conflict is probably my favorite of all the threats. I just love the intro write up, and the stunts are great.

One idea I had was having two rival cults that act almost exactly the same but would be horrified if you pointed that out to them.

Still reading through the NPC's, but they're all top notch too!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yamatai vs Carcosa clusterfuck.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! While we work on Game Over (which should be Soon) I'm putting together a list of corrections for the core book. If there's a typo/formatting problem that's been bugging you (I wrote "approaches" instead of "aspects" on page 14 :negative:), or an image that comes out weird in your copy, please let me know. Thanks!

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Hey Ettin, got any more Ancient Ones based on dreams (I saw Cthulhu in Sweet Shub)?

Technically this is not for Breakfast Cult purposes but I do like your Ancient Ones.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

inklesspen posted:

Hey Ettin, got any more Ancient Ones based on dreams (I saw Cthulhu in Sweet Shub)?

Technically this is not for Breakfast Cult purposes but I do like your Ancient Ones.

Nothing as dream-focused as Cthulhu yet (I didn't want to overlap the core book/early xpac AOs too much). The closest so far is Yamatai's Madnesses, who can explicitly communicate through dreams (Empress Jingu, the Madness of Order can send people visions of their perfectly-ordered world and Kajiru-Ouji, Madness of Ambition can talk to anyone who sleeps too close to its prison), and the Wish Engine in the items chapter.

For reference, upcoming Ancient Ones:

Game Over
Artificial Intelligence: The thing dumb nerds believe in, but real and magic
C://0r0nz0n: An alien virus that hackers sometimes let into their heads for power
Mammon: A Cold One trying to enter the universe through a VR game

Yokai Explosion
Naru Oni: Definitely not Ao Oni, what's that
Thousand Eye Senri: Another Yamatai one, the Madness of Knowledge
Vengeful Ghost: Pretty much what it sounds like

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
That sounds very like my jam. What's the schedule looking like?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

That sounds very like my jam. What's the schedule looking like?

Soon, hopefully. Dagon is laying Game Over out in his free time, but with luck we'll be ready in Feb. After that we'll switch to Yokai Explosion. I've been thinking of releasing some GO/YE stuff to tide folks over until then; anything you'd want to see? :v:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ettin posted:

Soon, hopefully. Dagon is laying Game Over out in his free time, but with luck we'll be ready in Feb. After that we'll switch to Yokai Explosion. I've been thinking of releasing some GO/YE stuff to tide folks over until then; anything you'd want to see? :v:

Given that I'm going to have yokai play a bigger part in my next mystery (it's what I call episodes), having a look at them would be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Alright so this cipher.

I've translated it using the cipher in Sweet Shub.

quote:

dvgwtaogqxasfag
iframxucwnfp
gidmxapyonhtszrvrt
sgqwizhxapyizdqwr
ovlrhhxsiyfkrajn
mrafndkwxcfblwm
brhcatmbviftxhjrk
ohgmpyxxetosrxqxb
eoibcur
pfcuhzz

Basic caesar shifts and other analyses imply there is a key that needs to be used, probably with a Vigenere cipher, to make this stuff make any drat sense. I was told to look for clues based on the redacted text, but GAMEOVER does not look to be the proper key, nor the abbreviated names. The only hunch I've got left is that it mentions finding the best students to investigate, which I'd think would mean there's something hidden in the student bios or art to help, but I'm coming up with blanks. If any of you are Crypto Wizards, feel free to pick up from there, because I need a break from this before I go nuts.

E: oops i had typos

Daeren fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread