Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
b]Problem description:[/b]

Every hour at a specific time my two monitors will suddenly go to standby then come back with the standard lock screen. This happens whether I'm doing something active at the time or not. Looking at event viewer I can see it's usually down to the second occurring at the same time every hour. I don't have a ton of experience with the security log but the first event every time this cycle happens is a "A user's local group membership was enumerated." message sometimes/sometimes not with a Logon message alongside it. My very very vague guess is that anniversary update has somehow gotten something trying to take over my active session but gently caress if i know what is really going on.

Attempted fixes: Checked that all standard power settings etc aren't set to something ridiculously low just in case.

Recent changes: Win 10 Anniversary update this week I guess.

--

Operating system: Win 10

System specs: Core 77-4790K, 16GBRAM, SSD Main Drive

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, I can find a few posts on others with this issue but they all basically say "well then here's how to disable the lock screen" which i don't want to do.

Toast fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Toast posted:

b]Problem description:[/b]

Every hour at a specific time my two monitors will suddenly go to standby then come back with the standard lock screen. This happens whether I'm doing something active at the time or not. Looking at event viewer I can see it's usually down to the second occurring at the same time every hour. I don't have a ton of experience with the security log but the first event every time this cycle happens is a "A user's local group membership was enumerated." message sometimes/sometimes not with a Logon message alongside it. My very very vague guess is that anniversary update has somehow gotten something trying to take over my active session but gently caress if i know what is really going on.

Attempted fixes: Checked that all standard power settings etc aren't set to something ridiculously low just in case.

Recent changes: Win 10 Anniversary update this week I guess.

--

Operating system: Win 10

System specs: Core 77-4790K, 16GBRAM, SSD Main Drive

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, I can find a few posts on others with this issue but they all basically say "well then here's how to disable the lock screen" which i don't want to do.

In addition to the power settings you already checked, check the screen saver settings; make sure "On resume, show log on screen" is not checked / no screen saver is selected. This will prevent the PC from automatically locking, but you can still manually lock it by hitting WinKey + L.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

Mo_Steel posted:

In addition to the power settings you already checked, check the screen saver settings; make sure "On resume, show log on screen" is not checked / no screen saver is selected. This will prevent the PC from automatically locking, but you can still manually lock it by hitting WinKey + L.

Yeah, that's a setting I want to leave on. The issue is it going dark. Even with screen saver off and the timer massively long just in case it doesn't affect the hour interval.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

For whatever reason it appears to have stopped doing i after the 5th reboot or so... weird.

• Locked thread