Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I hope I'm just an idiot and overthinking things, but here goes.

Received new laptop with a 960m in it. Connected to a new 144Hz panel over DisplayPort. Display properties makes it appear that the DP connection is using the Intel graphics rather than the 960. If I disable the IGP, then the monitor stops receiving signal and the display properties no longer sees any external screens connected.

This would really seem like an asinine thing to have the external displays only run through the IGP, especially on a gaming branded/marketed laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What laptop? Did you test performance with a game?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Alereon posted:

What laptop? Did you test performance with a game?

Asus N551VW. Only tested with Counter Strike so far, but that hasn't worked well as the screen will go blank and then lock hard shortly after loading a map.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Now this is what I'm looking at. 530 disabled, 960 is still there, but the display adapter is showing some basic bitch poo poo instead of the 960.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Also noting that when the 530 is enabled, that's the one that shows as the display adapter in the properties. I can set the proper refresh rate and such with that, but can't seem to get the same to happen when only the nVidia adapter is enabled on its own. Still showing the "basic display driver" without the external screen connected.

Driver update was fine on the 960, and yanking it out of the device manager it detected itself and popped back in.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I don't know how your system works but normally the monitors run off of the integrated graphics and the dGPU is only fired up for applications that need it. So I would focus on making sure your drivers are installed and testing performance rather than worrying about what GPU appears to be in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah you're right. This has nVidia's Optimus thing which does just that. So I was overthinking things.

I'm getting good FPS in CS, but the screen keeps going blank and then hard locks soon after, but that's probably more CS being poo poo. I'm all tip top as far as drivers go

• Locked thread