Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Problem description:

Whenever I have more than one document open in Microsoft Word 2016 it will eventually crash if both documents are open for longer than 5 loving minutes. When I search google I keep getting fixes for what to do if Word itself crashes, but this is not my problem. Word crashes my whole loving computer and I'm tired of having half my work disappear.

Whenever it happens (which is too often because I'm an absent minded idiot and have ignored it for like 5 months) Word is always about to begin autosaving a document. Like it has "saving" displayed next to an empty progress bar. Which it doesn't need to autosave because I always save my work every hour because I need to have my work NOT loving DISAPPEAR.

I'm usually running STATA, Notepad, and a web browser (either Chrome or Firefox depending if I'm at the Library or at Home) when using Word with my work. I have that little lap desk fan thing that keeps my laptop cool, and I never hear the laptop running it's internal fans loudly (like when I'm playing videogames on this thing).

Attempted fixes:

I have googled the poo poo out of this and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am at the point of giving up and just accepting that half the time I'm doing work I'm eventually going to lose like 45 minutes of what I've been doing. I lose STATA log files and poo poo because Microsoft hates my bones.

Recent changes:

Not recently unless installing Shadowrun Hong Kong counts. It's had the same operating system and hardware since I got it in December 2015.

--

Operating system:

Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 1511
OS Build: 10586.545
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

System specs:

Display: 15.6” WQHD + IPS
CPU: i7-5700HQ
Memory: DDR3L 8Gx2
Storage: SSD256G + HDD1T(7200)
ODD: DVD Super Multi

I think the Serial Number is 2ZA05-035W0-D70S (according to my laptop information sheet), but the underside of the laptop reads GFG6C2211A0032. Laptop is a Gigabyte P35.

:911:

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes I read the rules. Yes I have googled this since like 10 am when I lost really important info. Unless the FAQ is different from the rules thread I think I did this right. Holy poo poo I hate computer issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Do you have any non-Microsoft antivirus software installed? If so, uninstall it completely. If that doesn't help, try seeing if the system can complete a pass of Memtest86+ without errors. If nothing is found, post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info window (standard edition portable ZIP).

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Alereon posted:

Do you have any non-Microsoft antivirus software installed? If so, uninstall it completely. If that doesn't help, try seeing if the system can complete a pass of Memtest86+ without errors. If nothing is found, post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info window (standard edition portable ZIP).

All I got in anti-virus is defender friend. I got the Memtest thing to run a complete pass without any problems. Here is my crystal disk screenshot from my giant rear end monitor size

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
No significant errors, though it does have 3 errors logged that are usually due to memory issues (UDMA CRC Error Count). Maybe try running Memtest overnight? Is the system still under warranty?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's still under warranty! I'll run it overnight and see what happens

• Locked thread