Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
formerly tight holes
Sep 30, 2009

This is an Avatar
Problem description: PC will no longer fully boot. System stopped responding during normal use, no BSOD, and I powered it off with the power button. Starts up fine, proceeds past bios splash screen, then gets to Windows logo. Seems to stop part way through the Windows logo animation and goes to a blank screen instead of my login prompt. System is still powered on at this point, but nothing else appears on display and no sounds.

Attempted fixes: Boots up fine into safe mode. Chkdsk comes back clear. Uninstalled/reinstalled video drivers. Tried different startup methods from msconfig. Did a Windows system restore.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

System specs: Older home built system. i5 3570 processor, 8 GB ram, Radeon HD 7800, 128 GB SSD that the system boots from

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I am typing this from the system in question in safe mode right now. Any help or suggestions anyone could make would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer Low Life
Sep 6, 2010

Having a similar issue. Seems to have started happening after the recent update. Rolled back to previous build and it booted again normally but will reoccur once windows auto-updates again.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Can you do a system restore going further back?

I've been hearing about and seeing more and more odd Windows update issues for people on Windows 7/Vista and older OSs.

It's to the point where I'm recommending the switch to W10 if at all possible. Whereas, I'd been recommending users to stick with their OS if they liked it in recent times.

formerly tight holes
Sep 30, 2009

This is an Avatar
From what I can tell now it appears to be an issue with the video card/drivers. If I install any version of the drivers from AMD and restart I get the issue described above. Wipe the drivers and I can boot up no problem. Same issues occurafter I boot from a clean Windows install on a different partition. Install drivers and no fun. No drivers no problem.

This would seem to me to be an issue related to the video card? If I am misunderstanding something here someone please let me know.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yea, that sounds possible. I'd try running http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-

and then installing the latest AMD drivers.

If that doesn't work another option would be to temporarily try onboard video (if you have it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I was about to post a thread but this seems like my exact issue. Win 7, same problem. I can boot to safe mode no problem, but when out of safe mode my screen loses signal and everything disappears part way through the windows logo.

I am using onboard graphics. I did a driver rollback, and that fixes the issue completely, but the driver it rolled back to is just generic vga adapter and so its low res etc. I did a new download and clean install of the intel graphics drivers, which were a more recent release than i had when the issue started, but same result, I lose signal during windows loading.

• Locked thread