Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think JL is a Lee fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Nick just calling it as I said it lol

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Too much family crap

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

8-1 ahaha

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
haha felt like I called this weeks ago

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Lee obviously pissed people off and the edit didn't show it.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Mills posted:

Sportsbet has had one player backed into $1.50 prior to last nights episode. I'm not going to say who that player is and I don't think anyone should post it here. But it is curious. Maybe a result has been leaked.

And this was Kristie FYI.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mills posted:

8-1 ahaha

Haha wow, I wonder what we didn't see (or I missed) because this seemed like he had it locked in for an easy majority.

Definitely didn't see that one coming but we love the underdog :v:

I wonder if El would have fared better.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Kristie looked absolutely insane during that FTC.

Way better finale than I was expecting.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

bowmore posted:

haha felt like I called this weeks ago

bowmore posted:

guess kristy isn't interested in winning

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kristy's final tribal performance was very strong - she felt like she'd been rehearsing her responses for about fifteen years (which, based on her superfan-dom, she probably had been.)

Such a highly telegraphed result though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Good for Kristie. Of the final 3 she was the one I preferred, but I certainly didn't expect that.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
That was awesome. To see it flip so clearly at tribal was something else. Lee was a known commodity, Kristie apparently wasn't!

Mills posted:

He pissed off some people, like Nick and JL, because of his moralizing. But even then, Nick seemed to like him! Sam was really Nick's biggest enemy, Lee just picked a side. I don't think the edit confused anything, Lee just wasn't very good at the game and Nick's question showed exactly why he lost. I think he was generally liked, and stood a strong chance of winning, until FTC actually started.

I think a lot of the other players were more frustrated with Kristie going into FTC. Of those, only Matt and Flick have a real claim to Kristie's lack of a move being a poor decision. She got lucky in some regard with that final challenge, choosing to go against Lee and El should still be considered suspect. However, her talk during the challenge may have straight up won it for her so she deserves credit there. Overall, a surprisingly satisfying winner, gently caress the haters.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, her final tribal was basically a clinic on how to turn semi-incomprehensible gameplay into some kind of apparent master plan. I wouldn't say she necessarily snowed the jury, but she managed to make a case that she maneuvered herself into a good spot going into each tribal.

And in hindsight, sitting there beside Flick would probably have be an even harder final tribal. Lee didn't do himself any favors and came off very bland as well.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Pretty good season, eh? Would qualify for top 10 Survivor US, for sure.

26 episodes is a poo poo-ton though, lol.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It got off to a good start but the second half of this season was a loving slog. Hope they make some tweaks if/when they do a season 2.

Also, the telegraphing of the result pissed me off big time. This show has so much bloat/wasted time and they only bother showing Jonathan's question to Lee and Kristys loved ones before the final challenge? What the gently caress was that?

And then they all but spoiled the result in one of the penultimate ad breaks by a panel show announcing they'll interview the winner of survivor the next day with the footage being 90% Kristie while the ad played.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

She slayed TC in a way you rarely see and that was awesome.

I just wish ANY of her confessionals over the last 55 days indicated any of it. I would respect her win a lot more if she was articulating this plan all along. It felt like she fell rear end backwards into it and then just sold it well.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mills posted:

I think he pissed a few of them off with his self-righteousness, but I still think it was his to win going into FTC. Like, his to win by probably by several votes. Everyone in the jury thought Kristie was a joke just one and two votes earlier. He just flailed through the whole thing though, the only worthwhile thing he did was mention his sons and give a decent response to Nick, while Kristie put on a clinic.

Teek posted:

Yeah, her final tribal was basically a clinic on how to turn semi-incomprehensible gameplay into some kind of apparent master plan. I wouldn't say she necessarily snowed the jury, but she managed to make a case that she maneuvered herself into a good spot going into each tribal.
Agree here. That was unlike anything we'll probably see in Survivor again. An inconsequential player just came out and started boldly claiming this sort of mastermind game! poo poo like that she voted out all the Vavaus. Or that she wasn't controlled by Lee, when he talked her out of flipping like 10 times with the same sort of moralizing the whole jury hated. The truth is that she kept her head down while people voted each other out, and she did point that out - that people making big moves ended up paying for it. So her FTC was very very strong, but I think I'd give the jury performance a 10 and the rest of her game like a 2. I can't forget what a mess she was at F5. But she made it to the end and then swiped the win with a great jury performance versus a weak one. I really feel like this game was won entirely at the FTC in a way no other season will be again.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I mean, this was the same jury two episodes ago

I'd argue that the jury was more right then than they were at the end, but I gotta admit I guess it was pretty cool what she pulled off. i'd have to say this beats Lee winning, which would have been such a boring and predictable outcome. Like that's where the last 5 episodes were heading, right for a Lee win, to the point that it was literally aggravating to watch. If this season hadn't been spoiled, I would've been totally blown away by the ending

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 26, 2016

Lt Jon Kavanaugh
Feb 8, 2012
This season fell off a cliff after the pick your own tribe poo poo but that was a surprisingly satisfying FTC. Fingers crossed they've learned from their mistakes and season 2 is much better. If I never see Lee and El on TV again it will be too soon.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Looten Plunder posted:

It got off to a good start but the second half of this season was a loving slog.

Disagree, I adored every minute of it.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
The jury only eyerolled Kristie because they wanted to see her take Lee and El down. I'm torn, because I was right there with em on that, but I also see what Kristie's saying about Lee and El being vulnerable in a Final Three challenge, plus, she would have been more at risk of not making F2/3 if Flick had been along at 3 or one of El/Lee gone at 4. In a weird way, she may have actually maximized her odds of winning overall, even if it didn't look like it from our perspective.

Also, I do think she was the swing vote a LOT.

So many enjoyable players. Phoebe, Craig, Sue, Flick and Brooke were watchable, Matt was intriguing, Sam had his moments. Nick was a low-budget Rob C. Kate and Conner were interesting. I'd say their casting nailed it.

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 26, 2016

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Kristie is living proof that you can pretty much just chill, get drug to the end by a sanctimonious dick who pretended the game was not a game, make up a bunch of poo poo about your game during an extraordinary FTC, and win in a blowout. god bless kristie.

I don't know about another 55 day game with over 2.5 hours of content a week, but I'd definitely tune in to a 20-person 39-day season of Australian Survivor.

especially if it had phoebe

and craig

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
One thing Kristie said at the FTC bugged me and if I was juror I'd be pretty pissed. It was something along the lines of "I'm proof that If you want something bad enough and give it your all then you'll succeed. None of you did that and I did" which I would have taken as "WTF, you think I didn't want this, you think I didn't try? gently caress you"

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm hoping Kristie winning and Lee admitting that an honest game isn't possible will influence next season. A 55 day game is just too long as well. No wonder Kristie looked so manic at the end.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

She looked manic on Day 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MrBuddyLee posted:

The jury only eyerolled Kristie because they wanted to see her take Lee and El down.
Nah, they eyerolled because it was dumb. Kristie went with the two people it would be hardest to beat in the final challenge AND the two people most likely to take each other and not her. She was fully controlled by Lee and it was everyone called her an idiot, but she didn't want to disobey Lee. One thing I can say in hindsight is that Matt or Flick probably could've given more cogent arguments than Lee in front of the jury, but imagine how good Kristie's speech could have been if she actually had made a move this season.

• Locked thread