Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Anyhow, yes, it’s a voxel building/combat game that’s currently in Early Access on Steam. Yes, it’s buggy and a little clunky. Why is is special?

Because this game is as complex as you could ever dream of getting. The game is being developed by Nick Smart, who is, in his own words, a physicist, engineer, and sailor (and he has read the Wikipedia article on boat stability)

First and foremost, this game is about building your own military. Every single component has to be designed before being placed on your boat, tank, submarine, spaceship, whatever. You design these components block by block, rather than through menus and spreadsheets like you would in, say, Aurora 4X. You can put whatever you want on these vehicles.
  • Guns with shells ranging from 18mm to 2000mm (!) with various fuses, payloads, and propellant (magnetic, gunpowder, or both)
  • Missiles/torpedoes as long as you like, with explosive, frag, or EMP warheads. Make them kinetic kill vehicles instead if you want. Use any guidance system you want, like radar, IR, sonar, or laser beam rider or target painting. LUA guidance for these missiles is also available.
  • Subvehicle docking and construction.
  • Laser weapons for offense, or point defense from enemy munitions
  • Particle cannons
  • Drills and rams
  • Propellers, jet engines, ion thrusters, heliblades
The vehicle’s AIs are highly customizable too. You can set target parameters for each weapon on a turret, and for the turret as a whole. You can set how far away your naval AIs will begin to broadside their targets, and what angle they consider their broadside. If the AI doesn’t know how to steer properly, augment it with a PID controller you tweaked yourself, or a LUA script that you coded.

All of this creative freedom comes with a large amount of complexity and things to consider when designing your equipment. The last major update to the game (as of this post, it’s at version 1.95881) overhauled how vehicles detect each other, making vehicles with stealth capability possible. Minimize your heat, radar, and sonar signatures as best you can, but know that none of it matters if your vehicle is too big, because then all your enemy needs is a camera. Of course, they can’t see you if it’s dark out. The game also simulates buoyancy, meaning your ship can be filled with air to make it float, but any leaks will cause that air to go away. There is a basic drag and aerodynamics model too, which works well enough (though it is exaggerated).

Secondly, From the Depths is a real time strategy game. There are missions, challenges, and campaigns to keep you occupied. You can take direct control of your ships, order them around from a map, and capture enemy ships. There are nine factions on the main planet of the game, called Neter, and every ship in those factions was made and submitted by the game’s community. There’s a ton of content here. The main campaign starts you off with a floating base and tells you to conquer the world. You must gather resources and protect your ships from enemy attack. Each faction has a different style of construction, so reworking your military to deal with these differences is key to victory. There are other campaigns too, such as Dangerous Waters, which features replicas of WWII vehicles (and no, you can’t use custom designs in that campaign)

I would say the best way to learn how to play this game is to watch a video series on Youtube. IreLAN Gaming has been inactive for a little while, but his tutorials are the best you can get anywhere. The game has a tutorial system, but it takes the bizarre approach of quizzing you after each tutorial (it’s two or three multiple choice questions after each one, I’m serious).

RESOURCES
  • The game's official forums – These host a large community with regular interaction from the developer. You can find pretty much anything there, from custom ships to prefab components. There are also guides and some mods (mod support was only added recently, but it's fairly extensive)
  • Steam store page
  • IreLAN Gaming – As stated previously, this channel has some of the game’s best tutorials. The channel’s owner has been pretty busy over the past few months, and he hasn’t had time to make more content, but the only major change he’s missed so far involves detection mechanics.
  • R0SEFALL – This man does 3D modeling for a living and it shows in his work. His vehicles are astoundingly beautiful.
LET’S PLAYS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Reserved for future use.

There was also a thread made about this game in late-2014, but it has since been closed for archiving. You can read it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684496

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No Man's Sea?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Not really. Much moreso a strategy game than RPG

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
Do you have any good engine / weapon tutorials? It is been a long time since I last played and my old builds no longer work correctly.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
can I form a sea patrol to teach those loving Scooby doos who's boss

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Lobus posted:

Do you have any good engine / weapon tutorials? It is been a long time since I last played and my old builds no longer work correctly.

Engine tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSXUr5jPwg
Advanced Custom Cannons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_FSSkQNoc
CRAM Cannon tutorial (replaces old custom cannons): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WMXJdNAsq4

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Inglonias posted:

Engine tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRSXUr5jPwg
Advanced Custom Cannons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_FSSkQNoc
CRAM Cannon tutorial (replaces old custom cannons): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WMXJdNAsq4

These are great, thanks.

I like how they are toning down cannons to make other options more viable.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
This is probably one of my favorite games of all time. I think the game kind of fell off the rails with the last update but it is truly a fantastic game of imagination and smashing your designs into other people's.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I just wish that you could spawn ships underwater.
Submarines <3

Also, how can I play with goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

I just wish that you could spawn ships underwater.
Submarines <3

Also, how can I play with goons?

I... don't actually know. As far as I know, multiplayer in this game is buggy at the best of times.

• Locked thread