Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Problem description: Well, here we go. Today I shut down my computer like normal and it hung there on the "shutting down" screen for an abnormally long time. I figured it was just installing an update or something and let it do its thing. Next time I started the computer up, it hung at my motherboard's splash screen. Hitting del/f2 to enter BIOS did nothing. I let it sit for about 20 minutes before I called time of death and cut the power.

On the next restart, it got to my desktop, but my peripherals weren't working so I couldn't... y'know, use my computer. Out of the 10-ish restarts before it started working again, this is the only one that did anything different. On the restart after and every subsequent one until I started trying to fix it, it went back to doing the splash screen thing.

After trying the attempted fixes listed below, it works again. But I'm making this thread anyway because there's no way this happened just because it felt like it and I'm sure it's gonna happen again, so I'd like to figure out why it happened before that. This problem may very well be related to the other issue I was having a while back that did not get diagnosed, please check that one out if you want to help.

I think my motherboard is going bad or otherwise fried somehow, but I'll defer to you folks for more tech-savvy advice.

Attempted fixes: In order of doing:
1. Reset CMOS, removed battery, removed PSU, gave em some time alone and plugged them back in. No change.
2. Removed my GPU and tried startup with the onboard video card. No change.
3. Unplugged all my peripherals except for mouse/keyboard. This includes all HDDs except for the one with my Windows install. This one worked.
4. Plugged my peripherals in one by one, and it continued to work fine. I am now sitting at my desktop as normal with no issues.

Recent changes: I installed a GPU driver update before it happened. Said driver installed properly, according to Geforce Experience which I've just checked.

--

Operating system: Win 10 Pro 64-bit

System specs:
CPU - Intel i5 4670
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM - 16gb DDR3
MOBO - ASUS Z87-A

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piglips
Oct 9, 2003

I'd look for bad RAM first. Try running memtest86.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Will do, I'll run it today when I've got nothing else going on and post results.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I finally got around to running memtest and it showed no issues with any of my 4 sticks. Darn. Any other ideas?

Piglips
Oct 9, 2003

Make sure you've got the latest BIOS version and everything's set to default values.

Seeing as it's not reoccurring at the moment, you've kinda done everything you can for now. There could've been a short that you've cleared by reseating everything.

If it starts happening again you could try swapping the power supply but it's probably something on the motherboard giving out, which is usually erratic and almost impossible to isolate, and ain't worth your time. It's a real fucker when an I/O controller is misbehaving because you can't reliably load better diagnostic tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've got a spare power supply from my old computer just lying around, if it starts happening again I'll swap them out and then try it. Otherwise, looks like I'd better start saving up for a new mobo. Thanks for the advice!

• Locked thread