Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
I just bought a Western digital 6 TB HD (blue version).
Last night, I transferred about 3 tbs worth of data over from my previous hard drive. I then started transferring more files from another HD to it afterwards.

I ran crystal disk info as a precaution which gave me a caution due to a "pending sector count" error. The temperature of the drive also went to about 55 degrees.
I then quick formatted it with CHKDSK and the drat thing was flagged as bad by crystal disk info.

Now here's my question.
Is a mass data transfer such as 3tb+ potentially damaging to a hard drive in a single transfer? Or was the drat thing just defective?
Besides crystal disk, are there any other good HD utilities to check the disk for any bad sectors?
Also, because I bought it off amazon, the package was outside my house for a while, could overheating in its packaging been an issue?

I know WD has some high failure rates, but the reason I bought one is because there still one of the highest selling HDs on amazon (more units sold, higher defective rates, etc)

Thanks in advance guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You just had bad luck with a drive that was defective from the factory, that can happen to drives from any brand. Nothing about how you used the drive impacted its failure. That said, if the driver was running at 55C in your computer that is very concerning for the level of ventilation you have. Running at above 50C will reduce harddrive lifespan. If it was in an external box that's less of an issue if you won't use it very much and it shuts off when not in use.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Besides crystal disk, are there any other good HD utilities to check the disk for any bad sectors?

CDI is just reporting the SMART data, and there are a bunch of tools that will do that but you should see no difference between them. To do an actual bad sector test of the disk you will need to write to every bit of it, and a full format under Windows will do that. If it reports issue after that then you know something is up.

In this instance though, don't bother with that. SMART errors are enough for me to return a disk. But before using any of the disks in my office (and we go through dozens of them like they are floppies) we do a single wipe pass to make sure the entire surface is writeable. Any errors popping up mean we return it.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
So I sent the drive and got a new one from amazon (same model, WD 6tb blue)

This morning, I transferred about 1 terabyte of content over to my new drive, and I got the same error from crystal disk info. Its an issue with "reallocated sectors count"
I have no idea what that means, but this is the second brand new drive Ive had that has given me some sector error.

Did I just have a string of bad luck with 2 hard drives?
For the record, I also bought a Western digital 3tb drive, in which I transferred about 1.5 TBs worth of data over with no problem.
This is kind of unreal.
If there is no fix for this error, I suppose its time to get an HGST one (owned by WD, but with lower failure rates, though I heard they are noisy)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Did I just have a string of bad luck with 2 hard drives?

Probably.

So the new drive is showing "caution" again?

• Locked thread