Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuck_Mulligan
Aug 25, 2016
My brother's girlfriend goes to Bridgewater College down in Virginia. I was thinking of tagging along with him to visit George Washington National Forest, but I have just a few questions.
1.) The camp nearest to her college is the Todd Lake Recreation Area. How is it there?
2.) Are there any good trails nearby that would take me into West Virginia? (I've never been there and am super interested, even if all I see of it is woods.)
3.) Are bears really that much of a concern? I'm used to the Pine Barrens (proud New Jerseyean) where there's not much of anything. I'd be going on my own, most likely.
4. Last but not least, what's your favorite trail/thing to see in this area? I'm going there with very little knowledge of the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have similar questions! I'm going to be in the area and want to do an overnight backpacking trip, trying to decide between g-wash nat forest vs shenandoah NP

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If it helps you decide: GW forest allows campfires, SNP does not. Personally I don't have a preference but I know it's a big deal to some people.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
Hmm, West Virginia and Virginia along the border look exactly the same. I mean I'm not sure what difference you would see hiking across it. It's essentially mountains and forest for as far as you can see. See for yourself by going to Reddish knob and looking at West Virginia.

Black bears are never a concern. They're bears who very much want nothing to do with you, if they do want something to do with you that's probably due to some rear end that was feeding them.

Shenandoah National Park has an entrance fee you should be glad to pay, and also a much better website;
https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

George Washington National Park is huge. Hone Quarry Lovers Leap is one I know in the area. I haven't explored much of it otherwise.

• Locked thread