Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My wife and I have two cats, Marlowe (orange short hair) and Mina (black short hair) and they're obviously awesome and I adore them. We moved across the country recently and while they took a week or so to really adapt, they seem as normal as they did when we lived in our old place.

Except Marlowe won't let me sleep.

My wife and I have a routine; we go to bed at the same time. They always have food and water, the litter box is always clean, they have an abundance of toys (and we play all the time) and Marlowe is a total lap cat and he gets snugs+cuddles basically all day since I home office.

But every night between like 230 and 4 he starts meowing in the hallway, and then in the bedroom. He walks over on the floor on my side of the bed and meows, then jumps up and walks on the end table and meows out the window until I scratch him a bit and then he'll lay down by my side and he only stays there if I like, lay on my back with my hand on him. Otherwise he'll lay there for a sec then jump off and the whole routine starts again in like 45 minutes.

It hasn't been every night, but it's 2-3 nights a week and it's driving me crazy. At our old place this never, ever happened and he slept/hung out in this little cat bed or at the foot of the bed. The cat bed is still around, and sometimes he sleeps at our feet still.

Anyone know why the hell this might be happening? Is he scared? Does he just get bored on the nights where his sister isn't playing with him? Anyone have any experience with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

My experience is yeah, he's probably bored. Closing the bedroom door ought to muffle it, at least until he starts inevitably pawing at the door.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
You could always try changing their feeding schedule.

You say they always have food and water: I usually let my very noisy cat have some kibble during the day and she gets the amazeballs wet food in the evening, then some play time to tire her out.

Occasionally she wakes me at dawn (meowing in my face), but that's usually means "breakfast yet?? yet?" (eg. she feels I skimped on the supper and her kibble is gone).

I don't know how long it's been since you moved, my cat didn't really relax at night at our new hours before about 3 months passed. His routine might change too, especially if you ignore him at night.

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Seconding the play with your cats before bedtime to tire them out, then give them their dinner, then their normal behavioral response should be grooming and sleep.
When playing, really work them out and play until they are panting, unless they have a medical condition. Da Bird is my favorite toy to really get my cat moving and jumping around.

• Locked thread