Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
So, my apartment building has mice. We've informed the management, and they seem to have set up some poison in the basement, but that's not really helping us a whole lot :v:

They seem to be getting in and out of the apartment via the gaps in the floor around the heating pipes. We've set up some poison traps and snap traps around the apartment in like corners and places we've seen them move through/along, which the mice have proceeded to diligently avoid. We saw one on the stove top last night (:gonk:), so we're adding glue traps to the arsenal, too. There are at least 2 distinct mice.

Anyway, are there some other steps that would be a good idea to take? I'm not really comfortable with trying to seal the gaps around those heat pipes. How flammable is that expanding foam that comes in a can? And also, like, who knows where else they might be coming from. That's just where I've seen them come and go from a couple times.

It seems to be a fairly recent development, or maybe they've just now gotten brazen? We've been there for 3 years and I never really noticed like mouse turds lying around. But now they'll like dart out from under things in broad daylight. I just kind of want them gone so I don't have to worry about getting some weird mouse disease when one of these little bastards takes a poo poo in my coffee or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've had great luck with this exact humane trap which has 4.6 out of 5 stars, for good reason:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FLER72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Poison is mean and more importantly, messy as it can result in dead rodents in your house, or even worse a pet eating a poisoned mouse, etc.

Just put some cheese on the hook and you're good. (or at least, we were good- the rodents loving LOVED this trap and got caught in it right away).

Then just go somewhere you can release and just lift the cage end. It's super easy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Anyway, are there some other steps that would be a good idea to take? I'm not really comfortable with trying to seal the gaps around those heat pipes. How flammable is that expanding foam that comes in a can?

you seal them with steel wool, not that foam crap. pretty sure mice can/will eat through that foam anyway but they dont like steel wool.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Mice love peanut butter, use that for bait in your snap traps

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Anyway, are there some other steps that would be a good idea to take? I'm not really comfortable with trying to seal the gaps around those heat pipes. How flammable is that expanding foam that comes in a can? And also, like, who knows where else they might be coming from. That's just where I've seen them come and go from a couple times.

My family tended to plug up those sorts of holes with steel wool, since mice don't want to nibble through that poo poo. I imagine they'd just chew their way through any foam that you might use.

edit: gently caress

But yes, any mouseholes that you find, plug those with steel wool. Additionally, if mice aren't liking snap traps, try the jaw-style ones that are designed for households with cats. Don't worry if it takes awhile for mice to start springing the traps either; rodents tend to be immediately skittish about any new object in their environment but will get curious after a little bit.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 1, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Snap-traps are the gold standard for a reason. You just have to bait and place them right.

Step one, clean your house. I'm sure you're a normal person and not a goony hoarder, but everyone still has the odd empty box and spots that don't get thoroughly cleaned all the time. Mice are here because there's something for them to eat, be it in your apartment or someone else's, so you need to make the place shine like an OCD neatfreak, and keep it that way until the mice are gone. Starve them out. Make sure there is no standing water for them to drink, either. Mice climb like mountaineers, so shake your curtains out and tie them up just below the windowsill, same with and dangling cords from your blinds, or power cables, or anything at all they can use to get height. If you can't, then put a trap at the top of their climb. Mop all hard surfaces with a strong bleach solution, and especially scrub around the baseboards. Shampoo your carpet, again with special attention along the baseboards.

Skip the peanut butter. Yes, mice love it, but they have a nasty tendency to lick it off the trigger without setting off the trap. Instead, get cheap white bread, the soft and gummy kind loaded with preservatives. Notice how the trigger is looped, and make sure you shove a good bit of bread into that loop. Mice like to carry their food off to eat it, so they'll sink their teeth in and pull, setting off the trap.

Placement: two traps a inch or two apart, triggers side against the wall. This gets the mice who run along the wall and ignore the trap too. Two of them because mice are canny little fuckers who jump pretty good. Anywhere you notice mice, place two traps there. Then place more along your baseboards, and in your cabinets, and under furniture, and behind poo poo where mice like to hide. They're fifty cents a trap so go hog wild. I cleared out the worst mouse infestation I ever saw in three days with sixty traps, killing something like two hundred mice. Sheer numbers is the key to making snap traps work, and the reason they don't work for so many people - you need saturation when you're using them.

When you think you're done... well, you're not, but you can move along to follow up. Wind down on the traps, dropping the ones kids and pets can find, but keep the ones in hiding spots. Buy a bucket of Tomcat bait station refills (but not the bait stations themselves, they're loving useless) and toss one in every cabinet, hole in the wall, nook and cranny and dark corner that kids and pets can't reach. Check the poison every couple of days, one mouse can eat an entire block before it kills them. Be prepared to clean up blood smears, mouse poison is warfarin or a derivative thereof and works by making them bleed to death. Find every single hole they could come through, and stuff it with steel wool - mice can come through a crack as small as a quarter inch.

Is all of this excessive? No. Mice are sexually mature at six weeks, and a female can have up to ten litters per year with around six to ten pups each, so it's very likely that your "two" are more like thirty or forty, plus pups in the nest. No mercy. Trap the gently caress out of them, put poison down for any survivors, and seal your house against more invaders.

Sitting around with a BB gun shooting the bastards, and watching them die with a smile on your face is not recommended, but if you hate them as much as I do, it can be a pleasant and relaxing experience.

e. Let me speak out against "humane" mouse traps as well. The little spinning ones can't be reset, and are expensive, so in my mind they're only useful as a first-line defense if you don't already have a mouse problem. Glue traps, either the mouse will starve to death, which is cruel, or more likely it'll rip free and go about it's business (less a lot of fur). Live traps, mice can track their way "home", so be prepared to dump live mice out at least five miles from your house - also expensive, so you can't get good saturation with them.

Skip it. Don't bother with traps that don't kill or kill and try to hide the dead body. Mice are cute, but they're still disease-ridden vermin that will destroy your stuff (and take a look at their teeth, then tell me how cute they are). Cheap Victor snap-traps are the ticket - and not the ones with the giant yellow paddle for a trigger (you can't bait them worth poo poo - it has to take some effort to get the bait off, or the mice will never trigger the trap), but the cheaper ones with a looped copper trigger, with bait shoved under the loop.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 1, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Have you considered getting a mean ol' loving cat OP?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MikeCrotch posted:

Have you considered getting a mean ol' loving cat OP?

Believe me, I would love to get a cat. The lease is a unilateral no pets of any kind thing, though. Can't even pay extra for one. I'll get another set of snap traps so I can double up the ones I already have down, and probably some steel wool. Thanks for the advice.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Snap-traps are the gold standard for a reason. You just have to bait and place them right.

Step one, clean your house. I'm sure you're a normal person and not a goony hoarder, but everyone still has the odd empty box and spots that don't get thoroughly cleaned all the time. Mice are here because there's something for them to eat, be it in your apartment or someone else's, so you need to make the place shine like an OCD neatfreak, and keep it that way until the mice are gone. Starve them out. Make sure there is no standing water for them to drink, either. Mice climb like mountaineers, so shake your curtains out and tie them up just below the windowsill, same with and dangling cords from your blinds, or power cables, or anything at all they can use to get height. If you can't, then put a trap at the top of their climb. Mop all hard surfaces with a strong bleach solution, and especially scrub around the baseboards. Shampoo your carpet, again with special attention along the baseboards.

Skip the peanut butter. Yes, mice love it, but they have a nasty tendency to lick it off the trigger without setting off the trap. Instead, get cheap white bread, the soft and gummy kind loaded with preservatives. Notice how the trigger is looped, and make sure you shove a good bit of bread into that loop. Mice like to carry their food off to eat it, so they'll sink their teeth in and pull, setting off the trap.

There's any easy work around to make the snap traps work with peanut butter. Wrap some string around the trigger, and smear peanut butter all over the trigger.

We're not trying to catch cartoon mice where they cleverly walk away with giant slices of cheese, we're trying to get rid of vermin. If you're an eligible bachelor you should have some sort of emergency sewing kit in case of loose buttons and what not. If you don't have that handy, you can buy spools of thread for like two bucks at the local WalMart.

Take some thread and and loosely wind it around the trigger while smearing peanut butter all over the trigger. The mice will inevitably try chewing on the peanut butter, tug on the thread, and get a short sharp shock.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

There's any easy work around to make the snap traps work with peanut butter. Wrap some string around the trigger, and smear peanut butter all over the trigger.

We're not trying to catch cartoon mice where they cleverly walk away with giant slices of cheese, we're trying to get rid of vermin. If you're an eligible bachelor you should have some sort of emergency sewing kit in case of loose buttons and what not. If you don't have that handy, you can buy spools of thread for like two bucks at the local WalMart.

Take some thread and and loosely wind it around the trigger while smearing peanut butter all over the trigger. The mice will inevitably try chewing on the peanut butter, tug on the thread, and get a short sharp shock.

Eh, seems like a lot of effort when pretty much everyone has some cheap white bread laying around. But whatever floats your boat, just make sure to get whatever you use under the little loop of metal.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Speaking from having mice in my house growing up, avoid poison if possible. They eat it, get sick, crawl somewhere to die, which is quite likely inside your walls, and you get to spend several weeks becoming intimately acquainted with the scent of decomposing flesh. It's loving disgusting.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

Eh, seems like a lot of effort when pretty much everyone has some cheap white bread laying around. But whatever floats your boat, just make sure to get whatever you use under the little loop of metal.

Meh, It takes around the same amount of effort as making a PB&J sandwich. Take a piece of string and loosely wrap it around the trigger, then smear peanut butter all over the trigger, and then set the trap. On the few occasions I've had to deal with mice, that pretty much transformed the problem from 'Eww mice' to 'Eww dead mice'.

I don't see how using white bread is a better bait.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 5, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Maintenance did some kind of voodoo earlier this week, and we haven't seen the mice since. They must have plugged the whole they were entering the building from, or something.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This is genius. If you are finding this thread via a search, and you have mice, go back and read this again. I came in to write all this crap, and rndmnmbr did it for me.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Make a pitfall trap using a bucket full of antifreeze?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My house backs on to a livestock market, so rats are a regular occurrence.

Poison is probably the best way of dealing with them. If you do use poison, be sure to remove all other potential food sources. Mice and rats tend to be naturally suspicious, and will often pass up a new food source if one already exists. You mentioned that your management have already set up poison. How long ago was this? Rodenticides generally take several days to take effect, so don't expect a pile of dead mice surrounding the bait station. If this is an ongoing problem, take the advice of the previous posters and block up any access points you can. Also, keep a few bait stations around even after the initial infestation has been dealt with, and check them regularly. If you do, any new infestation will be doomed by the time you notice it.

Traps are good at picking off individual mice, but poison is the way to go after them wholesale. Wax blocks beat loose grain poisons hands-down, as they're harder for the rodents to drag off and spread around. With regard to the dead mouse smell, I'm partially anosmic, so can't help you there.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Id be careful with poison, as poisoned rats can poison larger animals who eat them. Don't use if you have pets or wildlife you don't want hurt.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If you're going for the classic steel trap, make sure you actually get a mouse trap instead of doing what I did, which was assume that bigger was better and got a rat trap. Not that it didn't work, mind you, I just don't feel like cleaning up two separate mouse halves again.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

rndmnmbr posted:

Placement: two traps a inch or two apart, triggers side against the wall. This gets the mice who run along the wall and ignore the trap too. Two of them because mice are canny little fuckers who jump pretty good. Anywhere you notice mice, place two traps there. Then place more along your baseboards, and in your cabinets, and under furniture, and behind poo poo where mice like to hide. They're fifty cents a trap so go hog wild. I cleared out the worst mouse infestation I ever saw in three days with sixty traps, killing something like two hundred mice. Sheer numbers is the key to making snap traps work, and the reason they don't work for so many people - you need saturation when you're using them.

When you think you're done... well, you're not, but you can move along to follow up. Wind down on the traps, dropping the ones kids and pets can find, but keep the ones in hiding spots. Buy a bucket of Tomcat bait station refills (but not the bait stations themselves, they're loving useless) and toss one in every cabinet, hole in the wall, nook and cranny and dark corner that kids and pets can't reach. Check the poison every couple of days, one mouse can eat an entire block before it kills them. Be prepared to clean up blood smears, mouse poison is warfarin or a derivative thereof and works by making them bleed to death. Find every single hole they could come through, and stuff it with steel wool - mice can come through a crack as small as a quarter inch.

Is all of this excessive? No. Mice are sexually mature at six weeks, and a female can have up to ten litters per year with around six to ten pups each, so it's very likely that your "two" are more like thirty or forty, plus pups in the nest. No mercy. Trap the gently caress out of them, put poison down for any survivors, and seal your house against more invaders.

Sitting around with a BB gun shooting the bastards, and watching them die with a smile on your face is not recommended, but if you hate them as much as I do, it can be a pleasant and relaxing experience.

e. Let me speak out against "humane" mouse traps as well. The little spinning ones can't be reset, and are expensive, so in my mind they're only useful as a first-line defense if you don't already have a mouse problem. Glue traps, either the mouse will starve to death, which is cruel, or more likely it'll rip free and go about it's business (less a lot of fur). Live traps, mice can track their way "home", so be prepared to dump live mice out at least five miles from your house - also expensive, so you can't get good saturation with them.

Skip it. Don't bother with traps that don't kill or kill and try to hide the dead body. Mice are cute, but they're still disease-ridden vermin that will destroy your stuff (and take a look at their teeth, then tell me how cute they are). Cheap Victor snap-traps are the ticket - and not the ones with the giant yellow paddle for a trigger (you can't bait them worth poo poo - it has to take some effort to get the bait off, or the mice will never trigger the trap), but the cheaper ones with a looped copper trigger, with bait shoved under the loop.

This man speaks the truth I am here to tell you people. This should be printed and dropped from helicopters.

When you want mice gone, you set snap traps. To hell with all that other humane, glue, poison nonsense.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

Some coldblooded poo poo

I don't have mice, but I enjoyed reading this anyway

AMLOVINIT
Mar 30, 2016

rndmnmbr posted:

Truth. All of it.

At home, I did it the natural way; I got a cat and they were gone. Like proper gone.

At work I deprived of shelter, warmth and food (well, warmth I couldn't do anything about and poison is not a good idea in a restaurant) but fok me the floor was uber-pristine every night...fun fact, they can break your dishwasher by chewing little cables inside it. (this restaurant was next to the Thames in London and in London you're never and nowhere more than a few meters away from a rat)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

They seem to be getting in and out of the apartment via the gaps in the floor around the heating pipes.

Buy a $3 bag of instant concrete, mix a little up in a cooking bowl with a little tap water, and use a serving spoon to slather it into those cracks. Wash the bowl and spoon immediately and it will clean right up, and then those holes will be closed to mice. They might use some other access, but you deal with these things one at a time.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The day I found my favorite dress shirt with a hole chewed through it fifteen minutes before a date, and then came home from an utterly humiliating failure of a date to find the cord to my brand new $200 pair of Sennheisers chewed through, was the day I decided that mice had to die.

...I can only hope that the mice in that town still frighten their children in the nest with tales of the rodent apocalypse and the terrifying monster armed with snap-traps, poison, and a Pumpmaster 760 who led the fray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Get some catfish

http://www.sciencealert.com/huge-australian-catfish-have-started-catching-and-eating-mice

• Locked thread