Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Problem description: Hearken unto my tale of woe, etc. I shut down my old computer last night in order to swap it out for a new machine. (Which is a completely separate tale of woe, but I'm working with the company that sold it to me so I won't go into particular detail there for now. Let's just say that whoever decided that Windows product key stickers should include a scratchoff section deserves some exquisite form of punishment.) When I tried to start it up again, it wouldn't boot, which I quickly worked out was because the CPU cooling fan (stock Intel) had died. So I swapped that out, and it boots now, but reboots immediately when it attempts to launch WIndows. This happens even with safe mode.

Attempted fixes: I've run the Windows Startup Repair thing a few times with no success, and it's gone through a complete checkdisk without finding file system problems. I tried to repair from my Windows 7 DVD, but apparently it's an old enough disc that the repair utility on there is no longer compatible. I also tried a system restore from a restore point a few days old. It did suggest that I disconnect anything new I had connected to the system (but unless the fan counts, I haven't connected anything new). I did unplug everything except my monitor, ethernet, keyboard and mouse, to no avail. (Unfortunately it's an older machine, and the shop that built it is no longer in business, so any sort of pro support is out of the picture.)

If I can get the new machine up and running, obviously all of this becomes moot, but there's no guarantee of that happening immediately, so I'd like to have a functional computer of some sort. I have a feeling that a complete Windows reinstall is my next step, but I'm trying to avoid blowing everything away if possible. (I'd also like to get a more recent Windows 7 system image on a flash drive, if that's possible.)

Recent changes: Aside from replacing the CPU cooler, I can't think of anything.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

System specs: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHZ. Gigabyte GA-Z77 D3H Motherboard. 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 RAM. Antec HGC-620M 620W power supply. Rapphire Radion HD7850 2GB video card. The entire system is about 4 years old.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Got the new PC up and running so this is all moot. I have the old HD in an enclosure now and it seems like the file system is intact, so I'm guessing Windows got corrupted during the Dying Fan Incident.

• Locked thread