Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Ohh, man! Just got through the first video. The tutorial was enough to sell me. A cyber train robbery with Claire de Lune as the background music? Wonderful. This is totally up my alley, and I gotta go pick this up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
Even if the Mad Max game has worn out its welcome, I still appreciate the streams Skippy, as I stare long into the abyss of idlib and wonder what all this assembly is Supposed to MEAN,and wonder why I'm wasting so much time with this frustum bug.

it is, high time for some sentry facts though:
See the gun's getpos() is not actually based on the case's orientation when you drop it, well, not totally; it's also not measured in pixels or degrees or radians; well, not singularly.
Getpos() is actually measuring the distance from the laser dot BACK to the muzzle of the gun, in vectors. Wrap your head around that statement, it calls whatever vector intersects with an arbitrary dot on the wall and THEN hits the muzzle of the autocase. (hence no singular unit of measurement)
Remember that even though the gun is pointed upwards, getpos() still gives a negative Z value? well the dot is below the gun so the vector that ends up being drawn is negative in Z.
also telling the sentry to face a certain direction gives wildly different results right? well that's more complicated:
when you plug in number to make the muzzle face a direction, based on the vector you got out of getpos, it can't actually make use of that so the game jumps through hoops to get it into pitches and yaws that can actually be sent to the case:
1st)find which way the case itself is facing, 2nd) converts that world vector you input to local angles 3rd) converts those angles to pitch and yaw offsets and 4th) the game then finally calls the case's turn and pitch events to face the gun to the requested spot.
all those steps aren't completely lossless to what's being input, I mean we start with 3 floating points and get out 2 linear extrapolations, not to mention all the RAD->DEG nonsense in between.
unlike with the weevil, I have no have no notion as to why it was done this roundabout way, despite the fact the automated turret in the other levels already have the ability to point at (and shoot) entities and items by targeting solid objects.

skullhead tethyis fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 30, 2016

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

skullhead tethyis posted:

Even if the Mad Max game has worn out its welcome, I still appreciate the streams Skippy, as I stare long into the abyss of idlib and wonder what all this assembly is Supposed to MEAN,and wonder why I'm wasting so much time with this frustum bug.

it is, high time for some sentry facts though:
See the gun's getpos() is not actually based on the case's orientation when you drop it, well, not totally; it's also not measured in pixels or degrees or radians; well, not singularly.
Getpos() is actually measuring the distance from the laser dot BACK to the muzzle of the gun, in vectors. Wrap your head around that statement, it calls whatever vector intersects with an arbitrary dot on the wall and THEN hits the muzzle of the autocase. (hence no singular unit of measurement)

Fairly sure getpos() is the vector from the origin of the map to the laser dot of the sentry - i.e. the position of the target. Having it be a position vector like this makes the rest a lot simpler to comprehend and means you can move the gun case and still have the given coordinates target the same spot. A getangle/setangle wouldn't have this advantage and would make speed-running more fiddly.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 30, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
If that were true, in my little autocase test where I moved the case and used the same setpos () values, the bullet would have impacted the same spot, wouldn't it?

It's pretty bizarre.

Unfortunately it looks like speed runs of this game involve abusing noclip to cheat into the bike shop.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Skippy Granola posted:

If that were true, in my little autocase test where I moved the case and used the same setpos () values, the bullet would have impacted the same spot, wouldn't it?

They probably would have, the target position (an absolute, single point in space) was just in the air in the room. If you rewatch your tests, all three laser beams of your setpos test move through the same spot in the air in the room which is the position you gave the turret. With the negative Z coordinates the origin of the coordinates is probably one of the upper corners of the room

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Ah, good point!

Forgive my really crummy grasp of three dimensional geometry!

So that adds some pretty cool speed running tactics if you know the coordinates of the targets in a heist

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
looking on it again ->beamEnd->GetPhysics()->GetOrigin()) pretty clearly means map origin and not vec3_origin as I assumed (which would be the guns barrel)

this puts it more in line with 'typical' id4 code, though i still hold that using gamelocal.Entities would be a smarter way of handling target facing

Skippy Granola posted:

Unfortunately it looks like speed runs of this game involve abusing noclip to cheat into the bike shop.

ha! Doom's trigger abuse strikes again.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I just watched all these and I have to say this is a real charming little game!

Something I noticed around the bank heist videos is I think I figured out why each of these jobs is played through 3 times. Poncho's job in the group is planning out the heists for all three of them - you all start in the same place, but each one of our girls goes and does a different one of the objectives. So presumably, in the real run of the job that we don't see, all three of these heists are happening at once, and they have to synchronize their exits all at once in order to actually pull it off and be out of there before anyone comes and stops them or amps up security.

So for example, back in the Fernicular, each girl would be jumping off onto a different one of the carts and using their own Weevers to go and grab one of the briefcases, then they hop back out, get back on the lift, and hoverbike their way out. Or in the bank, all the girls would get in position, probably do a three count, and then toss all their safes out the window in one go, with themselves following shortly after and then Lulu dying from a safe being jumped into her face.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Huh, I never thought of it that way but that makes sense given later events

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hi folks! I really enjoy this level. It's not quite the high point of the game, but the combination of the auto case and blink.exe really makes for some fun puzzles. There's something very Ocean's Eleven about meticulously setting up a heist and then having it come off with (near) perfect timing.

I'll admit I kind of screwed up the last job of this level, which still eats at me, but heck I think I did alright. Would you believe this was my best take?

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

The blink command is really neat, very cyberpunk.

Bizarrely despite being a blocky, timeline mashup indie game, this ends up more realistic-feeling than Watch_Dogs as a hacking criminal game. You do the setup all first, and then your "on-the-fly" hacking is activating things you set up previously. I'm far more willing to accept "I blink and activate the code I prepared earlier to fire a gun at a switch and open the lasers" than i am "I point my cell phone at a man's grenade and he explodes."

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Agreed. Also unlike Watch_Dogs, there seem to be actual repercussions for committing all your cyberpunk crimes!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Hi folks sorry for the delay. I had some woodworking projects that ate up a good portion of my free time.

Well I guess let's see how Poncho and the gals get out of this one.

At this point the gameplay takes a big shift, which I guess is pretty cool. It certainly keeps things from getting stale, and maintains the core gameplay elements while packaging them slightly differently. I do a modestly better job explaining it in the video.

Edit: Might still be processing, just give it a sec

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It says that the video is set to private, is that a thing that happens while its rendering?
Edit: there we go, I think its rendered now.

Tombot fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 6, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The flags just say MPL (from top to bottom), which so far as I can tell means "stand in" in the International Code of Signals. Likely as not, the sequence instead refers to the initials of our three protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
Hooray, it's back!

I really dig the LP here. I'm on the fence about whether I want to get the game itself, though...

• Locked thread