Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Nah. They released the NGE right after an expansion that was highly acclaimed as bringing much needed missing content to the game.

We're talking like a month afterwards as people were saying that Mustafaar was actually pretty fun and solved the game's lack of actual content on the PVE side of things. This was while the lead devs announced that the parts of the game that people actually played it for would be stripped out to give the game an "iconic" experience.

They were just dumb as hell and so high on their own farts from selling the community on bullshit that they thought they could pull off a total revamp (that actually broke fully working features when it was released) that stripped the game down to its bones and tacked a shoddy FPS knockoff on it and not be reviled for stealing people's money. They ended up giving refunds for the expansion after a lot of arguing with the community too from what I recall.

I remember that in the lead-up to its release Torres especially was hard up on the NGE what with insisting that what people really wanted was a bad MMOFPS knockoff and not a game with actual simulation elements that let you get immersed in it. When it bombed he continued insisting for a bit that it was a good thing and that the community just didn't know what they wanted. This was while the game was making history by having people bail on it in record numbers.

It says a lot about how much he learned that he went on to help develop The Force Unleashed.

That being said the later NGE development team was well aware that the game got all sorts of hosed over by Smedley, Torres, and company and basically worked their rear end off to try to revamp the mess they were handed into a fun experience. They're probably the only people i've ever seen that could turn a lovely cash-in book for the setting about space zombies into an actual horror experience.

Heck, when it became apparent that even their efforts couldn't salvage it they even turned on the ability to use spaceships in the planetary atmosphere. Which was a feature that Smedley, Torres, all sorts of community reps, etc, etc, had been promising was totally just around the corner since before release.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I'm just excited to gently caress around in JTL than not play for a while.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Arcland posted:

I'm just excited to gently caress around in JTL than not play for a while.

It just won't be the same without access to my invincible space yacht. :(

Watching people freak out as they strafed the thing for several minutes straight only to realize that I was playing with an invincible spectator corvette/luxury liner was hilarious. I remember one guy just repeatedly tried to ram me as I stared at him through the windows that took up each side of the main room. His fury that he couldn't PVP me was palpable.

Back when smugglers and spice were a thing I used to run spice in the thing too. It was way more secure to do a deal on your ship like some sort of interstellar drug dealer than risk one of those random shakedowns from imperial soldiers. By the time they removed spice for some limp wristed moral justification I had the thing spruced up like some sort of sci-fi Scarface-esque space mansion from all the sales I had made.

They don't make games like that any more.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 21, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Archonex posted:

By the time they removed spice for some limp wristed moral justification

:lol: what, in a videogame? Was spice dealing destroying the digital neighborhood or something, hahaha.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I liked how when they implemented the NGE, my lovely characters were instantly maxed out super dudes.

On a side topic, here's a thing that sucked: the discrepancy between the original set of mocapped dance moves and the hand-animated stuff they added later.

I don't actually want to poo poo on the work of the animators, because it wasn't terrible work, but the difference in style was jarring.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Bring back the card game.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Bring back the card game.

Was it actually fun? I never tried it.

Archonex posted:

It just won't be the same without access to my invincible space yacht. :(

Watching people freak out as they strafed the thing for several minutes straight only to realize that I was playing with an invincible spectator corvette/luxury liner was hilarious. I remember one guy just repeatedly tried to ram me as I stared at him through the windows that took up each side of the main room. His fury that he couldn't PVP me was palpable.

Back when smugglers and spice were a thing I used to run spice in the thing too. It was way more secure to do a deal on your ship like some sort of interstellar drug dealer than risk one of those random shakedowns from imperial soldiers. By the time they removed spice for some limp wristed moral justification I had the thing spruced up like some sort of sci-fi Scarface-esque space mansion from all the sales I had made.

They don't make games like that any more.

Sadly I kept most of my spacing to boring pve.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I had a lot of fun as the copilot in a Decimator full of goons. The multi-crew stuff was surprisingly good.

Also I love that they brought that ugly ship to the X-Wing tabletop game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

I still had like 100+ crates of nausea inducing spices spread between all my houses. I made a killing selling that poo poo after they removed the ability to make it because the buff stacks you could do with it in the CU were just plain lol.

• Locked thread