Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Problem description:
I am stuck on the "Windows Sign-In" screen, namely the blue screen with white spinning dots, I have left it running for a few hours but it's clear it's not going anywhere after this screen.

Attempted fixes: Unplugged all non-essential USB devices: No effect
Ctrl-Alt-Delete: Does not respond to this. (Curiously, hitting Shift 5 times quickly brings up Sticky Keys window, am able to alt tab between this window and "windows sign-in")
Use Boot Flash-Drive and reinstall Windows 7: Windows 10 boots before I can get into the bios screen. I can't set the boot priorities to be different so I cannot boot with the flash drive. My keyboard doesn't light up until it's in Windows 10 purgatory.

Recent changes: This was caused from changing a User Account Control in order to fix issues W10 was having in regards to "administartor" not having "access" to write to drive or use particular applications. Upon restarting, this problem has occurred.

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate upgraded to Windows 10.

System specs: Motherboard: Asus Z97 Gaming 5 ... don't feel the rest of my specs are necessary.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes - I have spent 2 hours on my own trying to fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

Welp, I guess I won't ever know the solution to this, but I just ended up reinstalling Windows 7.

For future reference to anyone in a similar position: a big problem for me was not being able to use the keyboard while the computer was starting up. This was fixed by switching a SATA cable from my SSD to a different port on the motherboard. For whatever reason, this allowed me to get into the BIOS and boot to my copy of Windows 7.

Moral of the story, don't make any Account or Registry level changes without first making a "Restore Point" to go back to in case you gently caress everything up and can't get back into Windows!

• Locked thread