Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Problem description:

I just assembled my new pc this week and noticed a few issues. First thing was I couldn't get the xmp profile performance (3000) to stick - it would complain of boot failures and fall back to ddr 2133. I could manually set it to 2900 and things would be 'fine' enough to install windows. I quickly noticed odd bugchecks. That prompted me to run memtest86 and I saw many hundreds of errors in a pass. It seems memtest always sets the speed back to 3000 though.

The motherboard is an asrock z170 pro4, the ram is this kit, which is apparently not on the explicit compatibility list so more fool me I guess?

Attempted fixes:

I''m rerunning memtest86 with one dimm in at a time. So far 3 of four have passed with no errors. I'm mostly wondering what the troubleshooting protocol should be. Try two next in dual channel mode? That will get super annoying as my hsf only leaves two non-paired slots with easy access. I could reseat it over and over but I still have a bit of trepidation about crunching the cpu. I guess with modern sockets we're past those days.

So, yeah. If all 4 single dimms check out, try multiple at a time? RMA the ram? The motherboard? Any other things to try?

--

Operating system: win 10

System specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/jhG9r7

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Sorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah all four dimms check out fine on their ownj. Not really sure what to do next.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
DDR4-3000 is a high overclock and may not work, especially on a lower-cost motherboard. Try again at a more reasonable speed.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Just to follow up bumping the voltage slightly to 1.37 and backing off to 2600 did the trick. Thanks!

• Locked thread