Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I finally read the Bug floppies I’ve had lying around for months.

Bug was really good.

Allred is very much a successor to Kirby. Probably the closest creator out there, and it was really obvious with this series. High concept talky scripts with plot points swinging all over the place and a frenetic pace. And the art.

If you haven’t read it, you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jordan7hm posted:

Death Bed #1 was very good. Riley Rossmo is a good art person, and I really like Williamson's indie stuff. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Also, dick.

I hope Death Bed fails horribly, because apparently Bedlam will be making a return and it won't be the same with a different artist.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Milk Wars: A Wonderful Event

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The depiction of a character in DC continuity limbo is something else in Milk Wars #4. A crucifixion involving DC logo stigmata. I hope that's hard, hard canon.

I almost feel like so much of DP #11 is explained so far, that they might as well skip it and try and get 12 out faster.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

The depiction of a character in DC continuity limbo is something else in Milk Wars #4. A crucifixion involving DC logo stigmata. I hope that's hard, hard canon.

I almost feel like so much of DP #11 is explained so far, that they might as well skip it and try and get 12 out faster.

Who was it for those not buying weekly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Who was it for those not buying weekly.

Rita Farr, Elasti-Girl.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Rita Farr, Elasti-Girl.

Ah! I was wondering when they would pop up.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

But I need that sweet sweet Mr. Nobody action!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Sandman related series for Vertigo overseen by Neil Gaiman, including new volumes of Books of Magic and Lucifer.

http://ew.com/books/2018/03/01/neil-gaiman-sandman-universe-comics/

quote:

Gaiman is coming back to the Dreaming in a big way. EW can exclusively announce that DC Comics is launching a Sandman Universe line of four new comic series. The books will be overseen by Gaiman but written and drawn by brand new creative teams. They will pick up story threads and themes from The Sandman while also adding new characters and concepts.

quote:

The project kicks off this August with The Sandman Universe one-shot special, which will catch readers up on what’s been happening in Dream’s realm.
The Sandman Universe #1 will be plotted by Gaiman but written by Nalo Hopkinson, Kat Howard, Si Spurrier, and Dan Watters, with art by Bilquis Everly and a cover by Jae Lee. Each of those four writers will then go on to explore the special’s various threads in four new series.

quote:

Hopkinson will write House of Whispers and explore how the voodoo deity Erzulie ended up in the Dreaming with her titular house. It might have something to do with a comatose woman named Latoya, whose girlfriend and sisters used the Book of Whispers to try and heal her. Now out of her coma, Latoya is suffering from the Cotard’s Delusion belief that she’s already dead, and is transmitting her belief to others, catalyzing them to become guardians of the gap that has opened in the Dreaming.

quote:

Howard will write Books of Magic, which will follow up on Gaiman’s 1990 miniseries of the same name and explore Timothy Hunter’s magical education as he’s torn between two powerful destinies.

quote:

Spurrier will write The Dreaming, which will follow The Sandman supporting characters like Lucien the librarian and Matthew the Raven as they navigate a Dreaming without Dream.

quote:

Watters will write Lucifer, which finds the titular devil blind and destitute, trapped living in a small boarding house in a quiet town where no one can ever leave.

Interview with Gaiman in link.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's really cool that they're leaning into this creator focused small imprint concept that's kind of adjacent to the main DCU. Wildstorm and YA must be doing better for them than the print number indicate.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Hopefully that description of the Books of Magic is just kind of generic and doesn't mean they're going to retcon the 90s ongoing series

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I doubt Neil would let that happen, he understands the way fans work and overwriting such a good series would be a huge misstep for someone as experienced for him to make in what is probably his strongest medium

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Hopefully that description of the Books of Magic is just kind of generic and doesn't mean they're going to retcon the 90s ongoing series

Books of Magic was the poster child for "generic" to begin with. It had already been done better with the Journals of Luke Kirby in 2000AD, which had in turn drawn heavily on Alan Garner.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Eternity Girl preview.
https://www.avclub.com/eternity-girl-longs-for-death-she-cannot-have-in-this-e-1823697949
Sonny Liew is so great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bump for Vertigo sale at Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/Vertigo-250-Sale/page/18245

Also, Doom Patrol #11 is finally coming out :toot:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bump for Vertigo sale at Comixology.
https://www.comixology.com/Vertigo-250-Sale/page/18245

Also, Doom Patrol #11 is finally coming out :toot:

Okay, "finally" seems to confirm I wasn't crazy and that yes, this issue which I assume was supposed to go before all of Milk Wars was just delayed that much.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

graybook posted:

Okay, "finally" seems to confirm I wasn't crazy and that yes, this issue which I assume was supposed to go before all of Milk Wars was just delayed that much.

I was very thrown by the fact that Cliff was still a robot and the Milk Wars coming June 2018 tagline.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was the collection it was talking about at the end.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was the collection it was talking about at the end.

That makes more sense actually. For some reason I thought they were just being cheeky about the delays.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Confirmation that every Young Animal title other than Doom Patrol is ending at #6 of their rebrands.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-dcs-young-animal-winds-down-for-now-but-doom-patrol-will-return/

I might close this thread and shift discussion into the DC megathread. We never really got enough posts here anyway.
Maybe Vertigo will deserve it's own thread again when the Sandman comics and their relaunch start up later in the year.

YA 4EVA!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Confirmation that every Young Animal title other than Doom Patrol is ending at #6 of their rebrands.
http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-dcs-young-animal-winds-down-for-now-but-doom-patrol-will-return/

This sucks. Cave Carson is very good book.

• Locked thread