Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This guy had a moment of clarity that haunts me whenever I think about it:

quote:

On 20 July 1981, 24-year-old David Allen Kirwan from La Caņada, California, was driving through Yellowstone's Fountain Paint Pot thermal area with his friend Ronald Ratliff and Ratliff's dog Moosie. At about 1:00 P.M. they parked their truck to get out and take a closer look at the hot springs; Moosie escaped from the truck, ran towards nearby Celestine Pool (a thermal spring whose water temperature has been measured at over 200°), jumped in, and began yelping.

Kirwan and Ratliff rushed over to the pool to aid the terrified dog, and Kirwan's attitude indicated he was about to go into the spring after it. According to bystanders, several people tried to warn Kirwan off by yelling at him not to jump in, but he shouted "Like hell I won't!" back at them, took two steps into the pool, and then dove head-first into the boiling spring.

Kirwan swam out to the dog and attempted to take it to shore; he then disappeared underwater, let go of the dog, and tried to climb out of the pool. Ratliff helped pull Kirwan out of the hot spring (resulting in second-degree burns to his own feet), and another visitor led Kirwan to the sidewalk as he reportedly muttered, "That was stupid. How bad am I? That was a stupid thing I did."

Kirwan was indeed in very bad shape. He was blind, and when another park visitor tried to remove one of his shoes, his skin (which was already peeling everywhere) came off with it. He sustained third-degree burns to 100% of his body, including his head, and died the following morning at a Salt Lake City hospital. (Moosie did not survive, either.)
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hotspring.asp

Imagine realizing you just killed yourself in the stupidest way possible and having several hours to let the fact sink in, while you, full conscious, painfully die.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nice

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I was a private working in our Coy's intelligence cell in Afghanistan and an intelligence report came in that there was a possible IED in an intersection the middle of a town, so we disseminated it to our all the platoons rolling around in the area to avoid the area.

Next day an US patrol went through there and hit it, which was followed up by an ambush. A bunch of American soldiers got killed and we went in to extract them.

It was then I realized that multinational coalitions suck at sharing critical lifesaving information and people die all the time as a result.

Now, 8 years later I still use that as a benchmark of "have I passed on this information to all the people that could make use of it?"

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

smoobles posted:

This guy had a moment of clarity that haunts me whenever I think about it:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/hotspring.asp

Imagine realizing you just killed yourself in the stupidest way possible and having several hours to let the fact sink in, while you, full conscious, painfully die.

Thanks now I'm scarred for life.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Beef Turret posted:

Thanks now I'm scarred for life.

So was he.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
One time I drove a forklift into a wall. It was like a divider wall that intersected a portion of our warehouse so there was nothing in particular behind it but the wood was clearly bending and tore itself free from a bunch of nails (it was like a wood frame wall).

Thankfully however I was the only one there at the time and I stopped quickly so the frame only peeled out so far. I got my hammer and some nails and hammered back in everything I could and to this day no one is the wiser.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dropped my duct tape off a car roof once. I was like welp that sucks but I'll just go get it. It landed perfectly on its side, however. For a moment it just sat there. Then it began rolling downhill. Faster and faster. Finding a perfect line. Carving sick bumps, but never tipping over. Ended up fishing it out of a creek and drying it out in the sun. :unsmith:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I once was very stupid and decided to update a record in an SQL database manually

I forgot to include a WHERE clause.

That was a fun evening of restoring from backups!

(For non-nerds: if you tell SQL to change a value in a record but don't specify which record(s) to update, it overwrites everything)

Nice way of not having/working on a dev environment with properly color coded environment tabs when doing SQL, nooblord.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
for real what kind of SQL query do you even write that overwrites EVERYTHING but doesn't have a where clause. DOn't answer. I already know the answer. The joke here is that I am a huge gay baby who gets pretend mad over SQL queries and related matters.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
You're sooo good at computers

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Boiling urself to death over a dog in a hot spring is nothing compared to the pain of working with SQL every day.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
That guy wanted a hot dog, and died for it.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Shoulda used ElasticSearch :cripes:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Back in the day I sent a newspaper off to the printer with a bigass typo right in the big headline on top of the front page. Also not as bad but the other day I sent an email promo mailer out to a shitload of ppl with the totally wrong headline. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Minimalist Program posted:

That guy wanted a hot dog, and died for it.

If yer gonna cook a hotdog in the geyser, bring a really long rear end stick. :smug:

• Locked thread