Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
personable decorum
Sep 7, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

I do standup serious, OP. It's a lot like standup comedy but instead of getting up on stage and telling jokes you get up on stage and just talk about serious topics like famine and drought and pestilence.

Are you same Hyde?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

i like this lady she is nice + funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0Qq_YABsY

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
One time a guy at an open mic got on stage and rapped about manatees. There were no jokes, he just conveyed information about manatees through verse. There was a collective sigh of relief as he finished, and he immediately started another similar rap about seals or something, I dunno, some other aquatic mammal.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i would like to see an entire madison square garden crowd shout out the words "cucky pizzone" to a middle aged bald guy before shooting myself right there in my lonesome hotel room

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i once told a 15 minute knock knock joke and i got shot i the kneecap

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One time a guy at an open mic got on stage and rapped about manatees. There were no jokes, he just conveyed information about manatees through verse. There was a collective sigh of relief as he finished, and he immediately started another similar rap about seals or something, I dunno, some other aquatic mammal.

probably some marine bioligist trying to get his jollys rodgers off in front of a bunch of plebes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

I do standup serious, OP. It's a lot like standup comedy but instead of getting up on stage and telling jokes you get up on stage and just talk about serious topics like famine and drought and pestilence.

I think that they're called Ted talks.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I can already be lame and unfunny without subjecting myself to the withering judgment of a roomful of people. So I'm not seeing the benefit of doing stand-up.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
And I already get heckled by random people on the street (on account of how my face looks), so it's not like I'm missing out on any part of the experience.

canpakes
Jul 26, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Millions of Crows posted:

To get on stage the first time all i had to do was send an email and show up on time. Getting back on stage is the greater challenge. It requires social aptitude I don't really have.
My first set was a little rough but entirely successful. I was too nervous to get things out smoothly and in the order i planned, but people laughed at what I wanted them too. For a first set it was great. A supposedly more experienced comic went on after and threw up in his mouth halfway through his set. Same guy that was welcoming but expected i would bomb.

To get on stage you're supposed to show up early, and frequently, wait your turn and hope the guy running the show notices you. It's real hard to tell if you're getting anywhere or just wasting your time. There's one severely goony guy at the comic's table every week, but never gets on stage. I fear being like him; perpetually ignored but not self aware enough realize it.

Thanks for the info fellow aspiring comic goon. I'm a little confused if your first set was successful why you need "social aptitude" to get up a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
I got a good one about a moth and a podiatrist if anyone wants to call me

• Locked thread