Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I'm trying to PXE boot a Linux distribution (Porteus Kiosk) using Windows utilities and am at a loss on how to do it.

While I have been able to use Ubuntu to act as the PXE server and gotten it to work I'm also hosting a browser-based game that only runs on Windows. If I could consolidate everything onto a Windows machine it would save a lot of space and trouble. I've attempted to run a virtual machine on the Windows computer and recreate what I did with the standalone Ubuntu computer with no luck.

The information on the requirements for Porteus Kiosk are here: http://porteus-kiosk.org/pxe-server.html

I've tried some off the shelf PXE programs for windows such as the AOMEI PXE Boot Tool and Serva but I think the problem stems from how Porteus Kiosk holds a lot of its information in xzm modules that I don't understand and off the shelf PXE programs aren't set up to negotiate.

The important part of the PXE tutorial is here:

3) An additional operating system is required to work as a PXE server hosting the kiosk ISO. You may use your favorite linux distribution (or even Windows) for this task. The only requirement is the presence of the following services:
dhcpcd - used for assigning IP addresses to the clients
tftpd - used for transporting PXE components (firmware, kernel, initrd)
httpd - used for transporting xzm modules to the client PCs (http protocol is much faster than tftp)
We recommend using any recent Porteus Desktop edition as it has everything needed by default.

I've tried using a virtual machine with Porteus Desktop as the server but it isn't working for me. I can get you the specific errors next time I'm at the Windows machine.

Does anyone have have experience PXE booting Linux distros using native Windows programs to act as the PXE server?

It's getting to the point that I'll start offering to pay for help fixing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Use PXE to chainboot iPXE. Then have iPXE load what you need too.

Is this Windows machine standalone or is there a router involved, because theoretically you could use that to handle all the PXE booting aspects.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Punkbob posted:

Use PXE to chainboot iPXE. Then have iPXE load what you need too.

Is this Windows machine standalone or is there a router involved, because theoretically you could use that to handle all the PXE booting aspects.

Thanks for the reply, Punkbob.

An important thing I left out is that ideally I would like the Windows machine to be standalone and be able to host the PXE service on its own creating a PXE booting LAN that's not connected to the Internet.. I don't understand the chainbooting part. I'm planning on using older Dell laptops as fat clients that are PXE capable. How does iPXE come into play if the clients can already PXE boot?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The advantage of iPXE is that it is more flexible than straight PXE and can even boot into Windows or mount iSCSI drives to boot from. I've found it a lot easier to deal with as compared to straight PXE.

As long as you can send an image over tftp and then can call back to a web server with iPXE you can do just about anything.

• Locked thread