Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Problem description: My dad's off-brand flash drive stopped working, and although it's not life or death, there are some files that would be nice to recover. In my PC, it does show up as an unformatted (RAW) removable drive, so Windows offers to format it, which I don't do of course.

Attempted fixes: Tried Recuva, but it doesn't detect the filesystem and fails to do anything. So I left it to be cloned with dd overnight, but it was super slow with the default block size and didn't complete by morning. Restarted with 4MB, which should get it done quicker while I'm off at work.

Operating system: Dad mostly uses it to access large files from his Android phone. I tried Win7 64 and Kali Linux.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

So yeah, does anyone have experience recovering data in such cases? Since the drive is accessible I suspect that everything is still on it, and it's only a matter of getting something to analyze the content and spit out the files. There's a ton of apps on google claiming to do this but most that I saw so far are paid so I'd appreciate some suggestions. CLI or Linux :spergin: solutions are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib
My first ideas would be TestDisk and/or PhotoRec, depending on whether the lost files are photos or something else.

Download page:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks, PhotoRec recovered a bunch of files - I'll check if any are missing.

TestDisk looks like exactly what I'd need in this case in order to keep all the files including their names, but I wasn't able to get anywhere so far. The first Analyze step finds the FAT32 partition, but the further Quick/Deep Search don't find anything. I tried adding a partition manually but looking at the files, I never got it set up correctly.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Back up the original disk so you can gently caress with the first one. You might try transferring it off flash.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I made a full image already, now lives on my disk. Still not much luck recovering the filesystem so far though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I've had success many times using http://www.active-undelete.com/download.htm

Although, the Pro version costs $45 and it's no guarantee of success.

• Locked thread