Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I do this whenever I drive an automatic and I feel super dumb about it every time. Hasn't gotten to the point of calling a tow truck yet.

Most modern cars wont let you turn it all the way off or pull the key without it being in Park. I've had a few gotchas with my 87 Merc because it lets me pull the key in Drive or whatever, always feel like an idiot a few seconds of panic/rage later when I figure out that I'm just an idiot.

I blame dailying a manual car for that, dont have to worry about Park. Also I always like double and triple check that I actually turned the car off before I pull my foot off the clutch/brake and climb out.

Whoops, new page, heres a friends M3 for some content?

D C fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just mash the floor mat with my left foot while driving my wife's auto.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

house STILL hasn't sold so I'm trying not to spend much money on the project because two mortgages sucks

I know the feeling - it sucks. I had the added bonus of having copper thieves steal the heat pump condenser.

Good luck with it. We ended up renting out my wife's old house and I wouldn't recommend it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We're renting the Wife's house to my brother, once we close on my house he gets three months to find a new place. Renting sucks, renting to family is even worse. We got an offer on the house an hour ago and submitted our counter so now we wait.

So the VW Caddy I picked up had been running kind of rough, I had just assumed because it wasn't being driven enough. Went to run some errands with it yesterday and it would barely stay running. Exhaust was smokier than it should have been and smelled like oil. Plugs 3 and 4 are covered in oil (4-3-2-1 in pic) and tailpipe is coated in oil. So looks like that'll need some attention. Not sure where my compression tester went but that's first then go from there.

The wife has suggested taking the engine from the 300k mile 2000 Golf TDI and putting it in the Caddy then getting something newer for daily driver duty. It's certainly tempting

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Put thicker oil in it, and call it ring conditioner. :v: Alternatively, check the intake and make sure it's not getting force fed oil from a faulty pcv or something,

...Ya know, I already knew about your rental property, I think we talked about our situations on that front already. Sorry, memory is poo poo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Surprised this didn't get archived so bumping it again. Nicer weather has had me doing little things but mostly on the other vehicles so far.

Put new shocks on the F100, helped the vibration a little but it's still bad. Next step might be to go through and replace all the front end rubber...I may hire that one out

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Surprised this didn't get archived so bumping it again. Nicer weather has had me doing little things but mostly on the other vehicles so far.

Put new shocks on the F100, helped the vibration a little but it's still bad. Next step might be to go through and replace all the front end rubber...I may hire that one out

re: the vibration - are all the bearings in the U-joints good? That would definitely cause vibration.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
i love the idea of a "DTM M3" but I feel like what I would probably do is get an ecu flash & a tune up for a few hundred bucks & call it a day. But yeah you keep at it with the modifying of the vehicle

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A3th3r posted:

i love the idea of a "DTM M3" but I feel like what I would probably do is get an ecu flash & a tune up for a few hundred bucks & call it a day. But yeah you keep at it with the modifying of the vehicle

neat

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

A3th3r posted:

I am a boring rear end non-car person

:discourse:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

charliemonster42 posted:

re: the vibration - are all the bearings in the U-joints good? That would definitely cause vibration.
They probably aren't, I'll probably end up going through the whole thing replacing and checking things. I might try the accelerate up a hill backwards trick and see if that makes the vibration worse, that let me very easily diagnose a bad u-joint on the wife's Tacoma. I drove it to work yesterday and I'm 75% sure the vibration is coming from the front right corner so at least that gives me a possible starting point.

A3th3r posted:

Ah how foolish of me, an ecu flash would totally finish this thing :getout:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

A3th3r posted:

I’m getting the impression that you haven’t actually read the thread.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Install the F20 ECU, then flash that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

Install the F20 ECU, then flash that.

Can't flash the early ECUs, only 06+. I've got an 02 with a Greddy Emanage Ultimate piggyback tuned by Karcepts that drops VTEC engagement down to the ~4500rpm area (among timing/fueling changes). It's a loving fat difference everywhere under 6500rpm and worth every single penny. Next step up is a Hondata KPro, but that requires converting a bunch of sensors / swapping valve covers with 06+ stuff. AEM and Haltech also make plug-in units that utilize stock sensors, but they don't handle VTEC like OEM (KPro does).

OFF THE SHELF headers, catbacks, and cams don't really do anything on a F, they are just for weight savings. The key to dropping VTEC engagement is a high flow cat.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 3, 2018

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

A3th3r posted:

Wrong subforum, wrong thread, wrong thinking, wrong is fun to say repetitively because it kind of sounds like I hope this car does on a flyby (“wwwwrrrrrrroooOOOngggg”).

:frogout:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, going off those numbers...does a modified F20 really make less power than a Focus ST and barely more than a FiST?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
.......yes, now consider that you're comparing an 18 year old NA motor that revs to 9000rpm connected to a transmission/driveshaft/diff to a modern, direct injection FWD turbo motor. I own both a 2002 S2000 and a 2015 Fiesta ST, the Fiesta has unquestionably both the far quicker and more boring motor.

Also, that's an F22C1 so you're looking at an extra ~10-20whp over a F20C1.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 3, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not really comparing, just shocked that it's so low. And I guess I'm broken, but the S2K was a fairly boring drive to me (sublime handling and transmission, mind) with it's power delivery.

I guess I'm just more baffled that it's THAT wound out than anything else.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The FiST falls on its face at 5k, whereas the S2000 has yet to come onto the large cam lobes (stock-for-stock) at the same RPM. They are polar opposite cars to drive, the FiST pulls out of corners whereas the S2000 is a momentum car. Comparison would be an E46 M3 versus an E92 335i, motor wise. Different strokes :)
They are definitely tapped out from the factory, there isn't much power to be found in them without spending a lot of money.

Honda improved on the F20 with the K series in a pretty large way. The K20C1 or that L15B7 would be more of a comparison to the modern Ford turbo motors.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 4, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
But see, I enjoyed the E46 M3. I loved that motor.

Cars are weird and I'm glad they make lots and lots of them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, probably because the S54 is pretty linear in stock tune :) Getting rid of the artifical VTEC bump is pretty life changing for the F20C. S54 with the CSL intake is probably in the top 5 best sounding motors ever. :love:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

S54 is a torque monster compared to a F20

The AEM ecu I have has the VTEC dropped to 4500 or 5k which should help even though I doubt I'll see below 5k very often on track

I took tomorrow off for birthday to play in the garage. Wife's convinced me to do "no old house poo poo" either so I might actually have an update worth posting. Worst case I mess with the Caddy a bit and see if I can un-stick that ring

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 4, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, probably because the S54 is pretty linear in stock tune :) Getting rid of the artifical VTEC bump is pretty life changing for the F20C. S54 with the CSL intake is probably in the top 5 best sounding motors ever. :love:

Agreed whole heartedly. That motor is one of my favorites to drive, and the chassis as a whole was great fun.

But sadly the tax on them now is just crazy for the issues they also have :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tried the ATF in the cylinders and oil trick to un-stick the ring in cylinder 1 of the caddy yesterday...it went ok? Put a couple ml in each cylinder Sunday night then turned the engine over by hand a few times before putting plugs back in and turning it over a couple more times. Drain 1 quart oil, put in 1 quart ATF. Yesterday start it up and hold at high idle until up to temp. I never got to temp before it started running like absolute rear end, being ~35 degrees didn't help things.

Changed plugs, oil and filters - fun fact it didn't have a drat air filter. Started right up and held a perfect, if slightly high, idle until it started to get up to temp. Once it was 1/4 way warmed up it started misfiring again and I'm pretty sure it fouled plug/s again. So I think I need to put in fresh plug/s and just go drive the piss out of it.

While messing with that I fixed the auto choke on the F100 and rigged up a temporary battery tie down. Something is up with the automatic transmission, doesn't like to go into or hold gear when it's cold. Might just be low on fluid or something simple but add that to the list of poo poo to do :sigh:

Bringing what should be the final load of crap from the old house over tonight. Mostly yard tools, tarps and stuff but there's a couple transmissions (vw, bmw) and other misc car parts. Should have done it yesterday but Caddy stuff took longer than expected as always.

Actually meant to work on race car yesterday but went up for lunch and woke up three hours later when wife got home as which point we had b-day plans

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 6, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Found this, seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3W8bYp_hvg

get yourself some vtec reflections in your sunglasses and a girl in a pink cowboy hat, ASAP

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PaintVagrant posted:

Found this, seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3W8bYp_hvg

get yourself some vtec reflections in your sunglasses and a girl in a pink cowboy hat, ASAP

NANI?!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Looks like three weeks without a post isn't auto lock thread either....that's good to know. I've ordered some 320i parts and a couple misc things for race car so maybe I'll have something to update. Caddy still isn't running, I might actually have to do a compression check or pull the head.

Talking with electrician friend about wiring the garage since one light bulb and outlet per side is a drat joke for doing anything in the garage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Got a little garage time this weekend. Cleaned things up, changed oil in a few vehicles then looked at how everything was going to fit in the trunk. Oil tank and fire bottle will go in back corners, tank centered. I got kind of lucky and the used tank I picked up is pretty close in size to the opening already cut and braced in the floor. Tank is 17x25 while the hole is 20x24.5. I'll also be using the mounting surface half way up the tank so it doesn't hang down too far. In case the car does see wheel to wheel I'll have to build a enclosure around the bottom out of 1" square tubing.

I did run into some issues when I went to test fit:

It should fit when I remove the top plate, it was hanging up on the bolt heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

More non-m3 content to keep the thread alive.

Fixed a vacuum leak on the F100, it now runs and starts like it should. Have new wheels, hoping to get tires mounted this week or next weekend.

Spent a couple hours on the Caddy and finally did a compression test. I was very amazed when all cylinders tested good at 140+ psi. New battery, old one froze, and plugs had it firing occasionally. Intermittent ignition switch issues are popping back up again so that'll be replaced. Was able to fix some of the issues by cleaning the grounds and battery connections. Need to get some fresh gas in there then I think it will start other than having to jumper the fuel pump.

So symptoms (non-ignition related) are cylinder 1 fouls plugs. Compression is good and even across the engine. Fuel pump only runs when in crank position but that's bad ignition. With fuel relay jumpered it starts and runs for a few seconds but throttle has little to no impact. Once I do that enough times plugs in 1 are fouled enough that it needs to be pulled and cleaned. Cylinder 2 plug gets some oil but not as bad as 1. Some googling makes me think valve seals are likely, even more so because the engine has sat for 10+ years before I got it.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 19, 2018

• Locked thread