Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3TKc6WoQY

it's looking better, i'd chill for a few goons and make a dumb fort or something when it's in a more playable state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
It does look good, I'm still hoping this is gonna be a Good Game around 1.0

But then again, this is Funcom. Can never forget this is Funcom :smith:

Everything they touch sooner or later rots and withers into poo poo.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The opposite. Funcom's MO is to launch as absolute garbage, but over the span of the next 3-5 years, turn it into an almost launch-quality game.

Edit: But also make it free to play with a ton of microtransactions.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fewd posted:

It does look good, I'm still hoping this is gonna be a Good Game around 1.0

But then again, this is Funcom. Can never forget this is Funcom :smith:

Everything they touch sooner or later rots and withers into poo poo.

I stick by what I've been saying since the beginning, it's always been about as busted as ARK was during development, and that's actually a pretty fun and feature complete game now as we near release day.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
My hopes for this game is that it will have decent mobs to fight because playing this game outside of my five friends or so was torture.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like Funcom, even if they produce buggy trash, at least their stuff is kind of different normally.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Been really enjoying this since the Frozen North came out. Climbing around the ice crags fighting frost giants is pretty great.

Edit: It's surprisingly easy to get stuff now, since NPCs can drop all kinds of weapons. I think we got a steel-tier weapon from a dude in one of the watchtowers and used it to ransack a nearby sandstone base. We stole a bunch of high level gear and eventually found a chest full of explosives which we used to torch the entire building.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
I play on official server #420 because :heh:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I'm on a pve server and somehow Funcom thought it would be fun to have all containers and crafting stations unlocked there as well. Judging by the rage on globalchat, building a roof or placing furnaces away from windows is a hard thing :v:

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Is there a server goons are playing on on the Xbone?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i played this game again today, it was alright i think it's coming nicely

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Worth 30 bones? Kinda burned by ark

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Prostheticfoot posted:

Worth 30 bones? Kinda burned by ark

if you feel burned by ark i'd say this is a solid pass

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I kind of feel like this is better than ARK in some ways, because it focuses more on you as the character rather than your menagerie of flintstones appliances. It's as easy to get absolutely hosed if you don't have a strong tribe, but if you have a couple of friends you won't have to stab hyenas to death for very long before you can make a cool house. The building system is a ton better, because it focuses on aesthetics and creating cool looking structures with like skull windchimes and rhino heads on the walls and poo poo, rather than everyone living in basically the same metal box studded with turrets. The building system also lets you merge your buildings with the surrounding terrain to create more naturalistic looking structures, rather than always the aforementioned box on a flat spot design of ARK.

It really depends on what you want from the game, and how many of your friends you can convince to come play it with you. Single player is only marginally more fun than it is in comparable games, and then only because you can actually build some very cool looking structures.

The climbing system is actually pretty amazing and gives you a real feeling of freedom, like you can go anywhere, but it also removes the one exploit (cliff building) that made being a small tribe viable.

I'm pretty much waiting until release at this point, I came back to play it with a friend of mine for a few weeks last month and it was a lot of fun, and I assume by the time they hit release next year there will have been a comparable amount of improvement over what I last played. YMMV.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
There is absolutely no comparison between this game and ARK. If you want a good survival experience don't waste 30bux on this. ARK has more players, a better Goon group, and more exciting gameplay.

Conan just isnt an exciting game. Even with the bump they got from the new expansion? DLC? whatever, the game is still almost back to its pre-expansion population of about 2k average players.

The Iron Llama
Mar 12, 2011

A genius billionaire playboy camelid.

It also hasn't been completed or released yet.

I'd wait for a few more major features to come out before deciding if you want to make the plunge. I'm having a great time playing with a small group of friends, but the game is still at the point where you have to make your own fun. No idea if the price is slated to go up after it's out of early access, but there's still plenty of time left to wait and see.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Spanish Matlock posted:

I kind of feel like this is better than ARK in some ways, because it focuses more on you as the character rather than your menagerie of flintstones appliances. It's as easy to get absolutely hosed if you don't have a strong tribe, but if you have a couple of friends you won't have to stab hyenas to death for very long before you can make a cool house. The building system is a ton better, because it focuses on aesthetics and creating cool looking structures with like skull windchimes and rhino heads on the walls and poo poo, rather than everyone living in basically the same metal box studded with turrets. The building system also lets you merge your buildings with the surrounding terrain to create more naturalistic looking structures, rather than always the aforementioned box on a flat spot design of ARK.

It really depends on what you want from the game, and how many of your friends you can convince to come play it with you. Single player is only marginally more fun than it is in comparable games, and then only because you can actually build some very cool looking structures.

The climbing system is actually pretty amazing and gives you a real feeling of freedom, like you can go anywhere, but it also removes the one exploit (cliff building) that made being a small tribe viable.

I'm pretty much waiting until release at this point, I came back to play it with a friend of mine for a few weeks last month and it was a lot of fun, and I assume by the time they hit release next year there will have been a comparable amount of improvement over what I last played. YMMV.

I think the other thing is that while I think Conan is a little more grindy than it should be, it's nowhere near as bad as Ark. Sure, you can fix Ark with mods and server settings (points to Conan for exposing that stuff even more readily) but it says a lot about the dev's sensibilities if you compare the two.

That said, I wish there was more to the Thrall mechanic than traversing half the world to get one dude (and that making remote wheels of pain is the only way to make that poo poo tolerable).

The devs have been hinting at major changes upcoming to gear repair and combat.

Agree that the climbing system is fun and actually surprisingly robust. I didn't expect it to let me climb purely horizontally (I mean hanging on the underside of objects)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I honestly felt the grind a lot more with Conan. It was probably entirely due to the crafting speed. Go out and farm a bunch, then queue up steel brackets or whatever the gently caress it was, then wait hours just to be able to build anything.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I wish games like these would just get rid of the stupid MMO style skill grinds. Theyve never been fun and at least MMOs could justify them as a way to keep people playing so they could bilk them for more money. I thought Rust's component system was pretty good, is that still around?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Llama posted:

It also hasn't been completed or released yet.

I'd wait for a few more major features to come out before deciding if you want to make the plunge. I'm having a great time playing with a small group of friends, but the game is still at the point where you have to make your own fun. No idea if the price is slated to go up after it's out of early access, but there's still plenty of time left to wait and see.

People have been saying "wait a few major features" for almost 9 months now. At some point you have to accept this is a bad game and its not trending upwards.

Also protip: Making your own fun is code for the game itself sucks.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I thought Rust's component system was pretty good, is that still around?

Yes but its not enough to make the game playable after they added the Build Twig Anywhere update

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

I wish games like these would just get rid of the stupid MMO style skill grinds. Theyve never been fun and at least MMOs could justify them as a way to keep people playing so they could bilk them for more money. I thought Rust's component system was pretty good, is that still around?

It helps keep server populations stable because people are less likely to just bail after getting raided.

This is actually the problem Rust has with components. Once you're raided you've got almost nothing to show for the time you pit in so you might as well find a freshly wiped server. This causes servers to die after a few days at the most.

Rust is bringing blueprints back in conjunction with the component system though, so we'll see how that works out. They also changed it so you can only build twig foundations and ceilings in foreign TC range now, as well as making it harder to ladder over high external walls, so compounds are a thing again.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

New patch and full wipes on most official servers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Lima posted:

New patch and full wipes on most official servers.

I'm still looking forward to hopping back into this when it full releases in March or whatever. It's still unfortunate that they region gated it so I can't actually play with anyone from here, but hopefully I'll be able to round up enough Taiwan people to make a worthwhile go of it.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm still looking forward when it full releases in March or whatever.

Same, excited to get that refund finallY!

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm still looking forward to hopping back into this when it full releases in March or whatever.

It got pushed back to Q2 2018, so look for July or August.

In other news, for people who already have it and were looking for an excuse to get back into it, a patch just went live yesterday afternoon and they wiped a majority of the official servers.

Check this list to see which servers got the full wipe: https://blog.conanexiles.com/en/server-wipe-survey/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Ive had fun just climbing highest peaks after I found npc that taught me how to make climbing gear and setting up 1x1 foundations with sign of them to mark my conquest. World is one of the most prettiest I've seen and there is that small sense of adventure most of the games dont have. PVP is total trash still though which is a major bummer, it being a Conan game and all

Also the raids are loving joke aside from Black Keep and there is lot of lore stuff and items you can craft but dont do poo poo because welp Funcom

Nebelwerfer fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 11, 2018

• Locked thread