Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
:siren::siren::siren: EARLY ACCESS WARNING :siren::siren::siren:
THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE GAME. The base gameplay is there and pretty solid if a bit shallow. Eventually there will be voice-over, two more upgradable player ships, and more events/enemies etc. Don’t get this game unless you really love Freelancer and FTL or at least wait until it’s on sale as its $30 out the door.

Imagine Freelancer had a baby with Faster than Light.

This unholy matrimony has given birth to Everspace by Rockfish Games. A first/third person space shooter wherein you must pilot your ship from sector to sector while escaping an enemy fleet that’s hunting you down. Everspace picks and selectively chooses game-mechanics from its parents as described below.

Freelancer elements:

Arcadey Spaceflight n'fight – Easy to pickup with mouse and keyboard, fights are quick with lots of tight turning.
Energy Bar Weapon System - The more you shoot, the less energy you have until it recharges.
Exploration - Not as grand as Freelancer, but you hunt down boxes filled with gear or mine minerals/gas from asteroids.) Find dilapidated stations and harvest goods.
Different AI Ship Sizes - Scouts, Drones, Immobile Turrets, Frigates, Freighters with different mechanics for assaulting each one.
Weapon Types – Different weapons for damaging shields or hull health, shotguns, homing missiles, mining lasers, pulse guns, gatling guns etc.

FTL elements:

Weapon/Ability/Consumable Slot System – Start with two weapons and switch them out with new ones you find in the field, find ability modules that give you Cloak, AOE Nuke, Boost, more Energy etc.
Resource Management – You have limited jump-drive fuel, you can gather more from Traders, Freighters, Enemies, or even try to jump at the risk of taking damage if you have no fuel left.
Roguelike/Roguelight Elements – Enemies are unforgiving and will dogpile you, each sector is completely randomized, weapon drops and enemies get more powerful as you go but only if you’re lucky enough to keep up. Don’t gently caress with black holes.
Sector System Map – Plot your course, avoid hard areas and look for nodes that have Traders or Shipwrecks.

New Mechanics:

Perk System CARRIES OVER after each death. You can upgrade shields/engine/energy/loot chance/radar and more after each death with the money you make. This means you’ll eventually finish the game as you get stronger every run.

Media:
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlJrokiuSO4

Wiki:
Official Wiki

Beginner's Tips:
-Don't be afraid to use missiles if you get dogpiled, it's better to waste missile-ammo than to take hull damage as you can lose various ship components like your radar (Which royally fucks you over if you can't repair it.)
-The Boost module you start out with is great for hit and runs, when you're ready to leave the system, find a neutral Freighter and start popping his goody-bins, grab the items that drop then boost out when he summons reinforcements. This also works for neutral fuel tanks if you're low on jump-fuel.
-Lure enemy fighters into neutral mobs to start fights that allow you to pick off the winners.
-Lightning Hurts, Minefields Really Hurt, Blackholes will gently caress you over if you don't have a boost module and energy to escape their pull.
-Scrap/Refine everything you can't carry, use the resources to build/upgrade your guns and modules or sell off extra parts at Trader ships.
-Bring the right guns to the fight, it's easiest to have one that deals more damage to shields while the other deals damage to hulls.
-Death is certain, try and get as much cash as you can by selling to Traders before you die, all that overflow cash is used to spend points in the Perk system.

Good Luck and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

This game will be really solid once they add TrackIR support - which they are claiming to be working on for the next few patches...

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

This definitely looks like a game I'm going to keep an eye on. A little bit more work and I think I'll jump right in.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I'm sorely tempted. The developers say they plan to raise the price as development progresses; no word on what the final price point will be, but it's clear they want you to feel like you need to buy early.

Early Access is killing me.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I'm sorely tempted. The developers say they plan to raise the price as development progresses; no word on what the final price point will be, but it's clear they want you to feel like you need to buy early.

Like the op says, if you really love Freelancer and FTL, its worth it.

I had 12 deaths (resets) and 12 hours before beating the game, the winning run went through 7 sectors (4-5 jumps a sector) over the course of 2.5 hours.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Thor-Stryker posted:

Like the op says, if you really love Freelancer and FTL, its worth it.

I had 12 deaths (resets) and 12 hours before beating the game, the winning run went through 7 sectors (4-5 jumps a sector) over the course of 2.5 hours.

Are there railguns like weapons?

Last run I found a flack cannon and stacked it with the dare devil module (No shields, but to 25% more damage AND weapons use no energy.) and that was an amazing run. I maxed velocity on the flack cannon and it was just ripping this apart before I ever got shot - and then I flew into a black hole...

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

Are there railguns like weapons?

Last run I found a flack cannon and stacked it with the dare devil module (No shields, but to 25% more damage AND weapons use no energy.) and that was an amazing run. I maxed velocity on the flack cannon and it was just ripping this apart before I ever got shot - and then I flew into a black hole...

There's a Mk II weapon that alternate fires two instantaneous beams like a railgun. Oddly it seems to be inferior to to the Mk II Lasers since those are a bit easier to keep on target.

Wait till you get a Subsystem: Devastator, it even combines with Daredevil if you want to destroy all living things.

Also, gently caress black-holes, I get a hear attack every time the screen starts to shake and I hear the ominous music chime in. Grabbing Dark Matter is an exercise in fear.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
As someone who absolutely loved, and really misses, games like Freespace and for the most part enjoys FTL would this be a good game for me? I may see if it goes down on a sale, despite the developer saying its only going to go up in price apparently, but it looks and sounds really cool, and I've always loved space combat sims and have mourned the fact that the genre has been more or less dead for a long time.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Khisanth Magus posted:

games like Freespace

this is not that at all.

Khisanth Magus posted:

and for the most part enjoys FTL

what do you mean by 'for the most part'? this can be difficult as poo poo until you grind enough to buy permanent perk upgrades to make life a little more sustainable. it can be fun, but it can be frustrating and grind-y as heck.

example: your shields are gone instantly when engaged by two enemies, and they take out your sensors. you can no longer see the enemy until they're firing at you, or are extremely close. you manage to kill them with 1/4 your hull left, and IF you have the resources to repair, you have to decide between repairing your hull, or your sensors. that was what my beginning experience was like and it was frustrating. i resorted to jihading freighters on suicide runs to get as many credits as possible to buy upgrades.

it is fun, it's really pretty. if you don't mind restarting frequently, albeit with upgrades, and blowing poo poo up just because, you'll like it.

e: amended the first part because op is correct in that he never said anything about freespace.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 21, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

automaticswim posted:

this is not that at all, i don't know why op made that claim aside from the 5 generic space-fighter features present in every space-fighter game.

It's the exact same kind of combat: Space game made for mouse control, not joysticks.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

automaticswim posted:

this is not that at all, i don't know why op made that claim aside from the 5 generic space-fighter features present in every space-fighter game.

Never claimed Freespace, I was saying Freelancer because it has 99% the same physics flight model as Freelancer, which is really arcadey compared to other spaceship games where you have to slowly coast into stations or joust with enemies ships.

Khisanth Magus posted:

As someone who absolutely loved, and really misses, games like Freespace and for the most part enjoys FTL would this be a good game for me? I may see if it goes down on a sale, despite the developer saying its only going to go up in price apparently, but it looks and sounds really cool, and I've always loved space combat sims and have mourned the fact that the genre has been more or less dead for a long time.

Like the other guy said, it can be grindy. And only certain elements come from FTL like the sector map, being chased by an entire enemy fleet from zone to zone, randomized encounters weapon/subsystem loadouts etc.
Otherwise it plays like an Indie Roguelight Freelancer.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
it's far closer to Descent than Freelancer. In fact it's absolutely nothing like Freelancer apart from the third person view.

After putting a few hours in it's really not worth dropping money for yet. There's simply not enough content here, even for an early access title

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I'm having a totally different experience on Xbox one. The enemies are able to whip around me, take shots, and change direction before I'm able to track them.

I think that resources are so limited that by the time you have enough you have multiple systems down and can't possibly repair engines, primary weapons and sensors. And I can never find a merchant when I need one.

Maybe because it sucks on a game pad?

I'm used to huge grinds, I've beaten FTL dozens of times after many many more attempts.

It took me 16 tries to get to sector 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Maybe it's cynical of me but I give it a 75% chance that the game will be on sale at some point before Early Access ends, negating some of that higher price.

• Locked thread