Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

gently caress off, pedant mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

:tipshat: the apartment life ain't for everyone

lol if you can't get a house that isn't an hour away from civilization

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i went to the nethercutt collection in LA and they had a bunch of shiny old cars

A+++ would recommend if you like looking at old cars and also old music players/orchestrions

also i like cars and after almost killing myself riding around the desert on an ATC i will probably never touch a motorcycle
protip: dont try to turn around if you dont think you are going to make it all the way up that dune
this applies to jeeps too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaman Linavi posted:

also i like cars and after almost killing myself riding around the desert on an ATC i will probably never touch a motorcycle
protip: dont try to turn around if you dont think you are going to make it all the way up that dune

ATCs are probably the only wheeled vehicle even more dangerous than a motorcycle. i had thought they were illegal to sell tbh

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

every time somebody mentions mpg in here im going to idle my v8 for 10 minutes

Dont overheat it lmao

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm recovering from a broken leg caused by falling off a vespa so I'm going to be sticking to public transport and enclosed 4 wheeled vehicles from now on.

I do like driving though but not in traffic, gently caress that

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

how did u get a picture of Mr. Burns' house???

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Panty Saluter posted:

a cvt holds at peak power when u accelerate, its p. cool

tbf CVTs in the US are generally designed to fake having gears because someone once tried what they did with Minis in Europe where you put it in Drive and the engine just sits at 4500rpm at all times and then stupid baby americans lost their goddamn minds

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

Jimmy Carter posted:

how did u get a picture of Mr. Burns' house???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jimmy Carter posted:

tbf CVTs in the US are generally designed to fake having gears because someone once tried what they did with Minis in Europe where you put it in Drive and the engine just sits at 4500rpm at all times and then stupid baby americans lost their goddamn minds

europeans: priapic for the "WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?" "GEAR?" scene in Dumb and Dumber since 2009

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

got into my car 2 months ago and the battery was dead, still haven't done anything about that. Can't say I miss it.

his used to happen to me and then I installed a battery tender.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can even get one with a little 10w solar panel, throw it in your windshield + your battery stays happy forever

idk why cars dont all have this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Modern OEM batteries can probably last the entire warranty period, so a solar charger isn't a good value proposition

it'd be a good idea on a bike battery though. You're lucky to get two years out of one of those

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

Modern OEM batteries can probably last the entire warranty period, so a solar charger isn't a good value proposition

it'd be a good idea on a bike battery though. You're lucky to get two years out of one of those

Incorrect. i bought a $225 battery for my car and it had poo poo the bed in 18 months due to it sitting.

Solar panel on a motorcycle is a smart move, considering that it'll be parked for 3 or 4 months a year

while you're in the hospital and physical therapy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well uh 18 months of sitting without any form of maintenance or charging is going to kill any lead-acid battery, no matter how much you spend on it. you ought to know that. that doesn't count as a normal use pattern for a new car under warranty, either.

also you have a bmw and while i know it's an older one i still am gonna lol @ the thing where current bmw cars deliberately kill their batteries every 12 months in order to save like .2mpg by turning off the alternator and maintaining the battery at a lower SOC

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Everything has a loving microcontroller dulling the sensors and playing logic gate now, trying to be smarter than you are.

hell even my temp needle has a buffer in it so if it moves off center, you've already warped the aluminum head

its meant to stop you from obsessing over the temp gauge wiggles, so instead we unlock our dash clusters and pull the sensor up on the info display and sperg on that instead.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

his used to happen to me and then I installed a battery tender.

I should do this, I have to see if there's an outlet near my spot

Jonny 290 posted:

you can even get one with a little 10w solar panel, throw it in your windshield + your battery stays happy forever

idk why cars dont all have this

Wouldn't do me much good, it's parked in the garage most of the time.

Honestly, if fat bike racing season wasn't coming up and I'd need a way to get to them I'd seriously be considering getting rid of my car all together.

I bike/walk most places, work is 3 blocks away, Uber is finally out near me if I need a ride downtown or something, and for $10 the grocery store delivers.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Jonny 290 posted:

europeans: priapic for the "WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?" "GEAR?" scene in Dumb and Dumber since 2009

>_> not sure if bait

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

get a motorcycle. they're basically all still manual and there's something super viscerally satisfying about shifting with your foot. it's like digging in the spurs on a horse.

I have one, moto guzzi v7. I don't even own a car these days since the bike is in my parking spot, I bum rides off my fiancée's car when I need to

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you are rich enough that you have a loving garage for your car and you drive it so little that the battery dies, yeah, up against the wall, no pity

Bike shifters seem like they'd wear out your foot with that downshift motion.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Jonny 290 posted:

if you are rich enough that you have a loving garage for your car and you drive it so little that the battery dies, yeah, up against the wall, no pity

I actually find upshifting a lot more unnatural a motion, made worse by my motorcycle's criminally bad transmission

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

if everything's dialed in right the actual movement is very small. on my hawk gt it's about an inch up or down at the toe, which works out to like a 6 degree rotation of the ankle

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

My garage is full of stuff I can't fit the cars in

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

My garage is full of stuff I can't fit the cars in

A collection of ride on mowers and other grass cutting tools?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

if everything's dialed in right the actual movement is very small. on my hawk gt it's about an inch up or down at the toe, which works out to like a 6 degree rotation of the ankle

Yeah and i guess if you've got boots on (AS YOU SHOULD), you've got a big old heavy mass at the end of your leg and its just a click. Just seems like it'd get that top of your foot bit screaming.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

eh, it's an apartment, everyone gets a garage spot.

I spend too much on bikes to be considered rich.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah and i guess if you've got boots on (AS YOU SHOULD), you've got a big old heavy mass at the end of your leg and its just a click. Just seems like it'd get that top of your foot bit screaming.

dedicated motorcycle boots usually have a stiff rubber pad on the upper surface where the shifter sits, both for comfort and so you don't wear out the top of the boot. you definitely feel the peg digging into your toe if you ride in sneakers or w/e.

those are the boots i have. you can see the shifter pad on top. the ankle support structure only allows about 30 degrees of rotation forwards and backwards, and no movement to either side.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 28, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

only one of my cars has had that happen

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

well uh 18 months of sitting without any form of maintenance or charging is going to kill any lead-acid battery, no matter how much you spend on it. you ought to know that. that doesn't count as a normal use pattern for a new car under warranty, either.

also you have a bmw and while i know it's an older one i still am gonna lol @ the thing where current bmw cars deliberately kill their batteries every 12 months in order to save like .2mpg by turning off the alternator and maintaining the battery at a lower SOC

~the ultimate driving machine~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they died for me when they started putting turbos on their cars, and i buried the corpse when they started piping fake engine noises in.

• Locked thread