Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaquin
outland is where characters go to die for me so good on you for getting through that tumor on the games rear end with no heirlooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
Early Northrend is also sloggy but the quests are fun and the zones are pretty.

Scaly Haylie

Shaquin posted:

outland is where characters go to die for me so good on you for getting through that tumor on the games rear end with no heirlooms

around, tbh

Scaly Haylie

So here we are in Blade's Edge Mountains. Appropriately pointy surroundings, really.

The main threats around these parts are ogres and crow-people.

During our murder of crows :haw: we pick up some of their feathers as they have magicks that involve their own feathers and we want to try that out for whatever reason.

Get equipped with: a bird

"Huh well I guess you sure did summon a bird"

Leaving that plot thread to dangle for a bit, it's time to wreck ogres.

And steal their crystals.

And steal their beer. This in particular will be the first of many steps in starting an ogre war.

As compelling as this all is, I make sure to take the time to spew toxic gas on a battle pet here and there.

We're also tasked with summoning tree duders in a more vegetated part of the zone. It's quite dull and only really involves fending off a lynx now and again.

So before long we run our asses over to the village of clearly different ogres. Come to think of it, I suppose the other ogres were red, so fair enough.

Speaking of the red ogres, though, we put their hooch to use. I don't actually get to see what a drunk ogre looks like because they aggro on me in the process of being attracted to the mugs I set down, but apparently them noticing the mugs at all is enough for this quest.

Anyway, we kill loads more ogres, including a named and thus clearly important one.

Our clownsuit grows more powerful.

Well that's cute.

We reach a bustling little encampment of tinkers, and in no time at all we're testing some manner of horrible flight-inducing zap cannon thingy.

There are further iterations of this quest that make you sign a waiver, which is a cute little detail.

The second launch drops us right near we need to be for our quests, happily. These here crystal flayers are loving up the crystals one of our gnome friends is trying to research! We can't have that!

Then there's...this. We open up drake eggs to release the hatchlings inside, then blast them with some manner of time gun.

The hatchling randomly turns into one of three drake variants as a result, and we murder it for its essence. This quest is as tedious as the rest of them, but points for creativity!

Also, we get to set up some kind of pylons or something. The goal here is to arrange them such that you can stand in one spot and be bombarded by five energy fields at the same time. Kinda dull, but the end result kicks rear end.

Our newly acquired pokemon, a small robot dinosaur, admires a minor but important addition to our clownsuit: a belt.

This quest is rather creative too, really. Turn on a thingy that lets you absorb drakes' lightning breath so that the intrepid inventors can use the energy for fun and profit, surely.

Shortly thereafter we sneak into a settlement of energy-people to collect floating pink motes of energy that happen to be floating around.

:monocle:

WoW math being what it is nowadays, the large energy fellow isn't very hard to dunk on, and we loot his cube. I don't know why the gently caress he has a cube.

Good to know that these gnome ghosts are happy, I guess?

drat, our clownsuit game is powerful now.

With a hop, skip, and one hell of a jump, we're off to the next questing hub! See you there!

Shaquin
you should get the skelechicken mount imo

Scaly Haylie

Shaquin posted:

you should get the skelechicken mount imo

pm me immediately

Zeth

Cluck you say?
battle pets fun fact: lil ragnaros doubles as a cooking fire

Shaquin

Zeth posted:

battle pets fun fact: lil ragnaros doubles as a cooking fire

blizzard wins again

Scaly Haylie

tell me the secrets of the d*mn skelechicken mount shaquin

Shaquin
I just meant the dk bone bird vendor mount (:

Zeth

Cluck you say?
Should get the fossil raptor, from archaeology. Con: takes a lot of grinds. Pro: it's a god damned dinosaur skeleton, that you ride

Scaly Haylie

Rolling up into the Ruuan Weald, we are tasked with trying to negotiate with the leader of some kind of dragon cult that's kind of been defiling the land up and down.

Asking him to stop doesn't help, so we must axe his cronies to stop instead. We also pick up some of their dragon nets for future dragon mischief.

We also do more stuff with the Arakkoa, I guess? The whole mysterious, vaguely magical native savage tribe thing just kinda puts me to sleep, so suffice to say we kill a lot of them and get a bird god to whisper spooky sounding secrets into our ear.

hell yeah though

And then this. For some reason we're never done killing ogres.

Whoops. Smash cut to me mining some ore on my way back to Stormwind for holiday quests and gaining a level as a result, apparently.

Anyway. We kidnap several dragons, but as I recall we don't even get to do anything with them.

On a completely unrelated note, we need to set a trap so we can murder some important giant who's manipulating the ogres, so we to go this rather powerful fellow who has his eyes set on a giant of his own.

We're supposed to use a special poison to put him to sleep or something and steal his sack, but...

Haha we're more powerful than the game designers ever intended, eat poo poo idiot

That DOES sound like a pretty good trap.

It works exceptionally well, and we plant the heads of some of his friends near him as an extra "don't gently caress with us".

New pants, new gauntlets and a new axe are ours. They are all varying degrees of bitchin'.

gently caress me running, why

Killing even more ogres and a third named giant, both acts we are basically numb to at this point, grant us both new chest armor and a level up.

:siren:WE ARE NOW LEVEL 68 AND CAN GO TO THE NEXT EXPANSION, gently caress OUTLAND:siren:
also we got the lovebird and made some goggles

Scaly Haylie

So! Today it's off to Northrend.

We go to Northrend by boat, and getting to the docks is made easier by the PATH OF FROST ability which lets you walk on water.

Protip: don't get on the boat that takes you to Darnassus.

After boarding the correct boat, we arrive in the foreboding, cold locale.

One of the quests here at the Alliance fort is perfect since, confession time, I had a real life plan that fell through for a few days on end and was kind of waiting the whole evening to get that poo poo done. So let's go see Dalaran!

It's a bit hard to see through the whatever this effect is, but Dalaran is a wizard city that the wizards decided to turn into a flying wizard city.

Somehow I get a Disney World vibe from it. It's very small really, with the main street being a circle and every shop you could need compressed into a tiny space. It's the main city for Wrath of the Lich King for both Alliance and Horde players, and was such a popular hangout that they brought it back for the latest expansion!

Anyway sorry for my poor planning, check out this table

Scaly Haylie

Today begins our questing in Northrend! Or rather, our talking to people in Northrend! Note that our level is 69. I'm pretty sure I dinged from cleaning up Valentine's Day stuff, whoops.

...yes. :v:

As miserable as Honor Hold and Hellfire Peninsula were, I rather like this little military operation as a questing area.

It has a theme and it sticks to it, which is good!

While rooting around for medical supplies in this ship's hold, we see something a bit...off.

By my limited understanding, the Cult of the Damned are a cult made up of living people who worship the undead Scourge (read: Lich King and his forces). The commanding officer doesn't think much of this information, but a draenei tells us hey there's some cultists nearby, kill them because they have information maybe.

Having hoovered up all the quests we can, it's time to start killing.

Sure enough, the cultists have what we need.

We get a pretty neat sword for killing those big ol' bugs, too. Note that we only had to kill six instead of, say, twenty.

Next we throw nets at dragons, bringing them crashing down to earth, prone and ripe for the murder.

A brief break from our field combat. We use the Oculus in the designated area and look for the individual covered in dark magic. Also drat, Elemendra, nice gear.

We do this two more times, who cares.

Our reward is a hat. Here it is along with some chest armor I forgot to screenshot earlier. I'm not terribly fond of the hat.

Next, we bomb some undead bugholes.

:hellyeah:

Our clownsuit slowly but surely fades away. :smith:

The next few quests take us further and further from Valiance Keep, so I figure it's only appropriate to save those for next time. Gotta divide these updates up somehow, right?

Munchables

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Northrend is my favorite continent

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

Northrend is my favorite continent

pandaria though

Munchables

Lizard Wizard posted:

pandaria though

I stopped playing after cata, and played a bit more regularly when WoD dropped, so I didn't really play Pandaria, but the 1 dungeon I did was nice.

Scaly Haylie

Today's mine concern is checking on Farshire. We're strictly there as a representative of the Alliance to defend what's ores.

This little gnome has a breadcrumb to another questing hub. We'll get to that in due time.

Last but not least, this lady's brother disappeared in Farshire, apparently.

All things considered, Farshire isn't very, uh, far. It's basically within spitting distance of the keep.

Interestingly enough, an event prior to this expansion involved crates of tainted grain showing up in capital cities. I guess the Lich King likes tainted grain.

The plot thickens in the case of the missing brother, and believe me, this is gonna be a good questline.

Reporting back to the peasantry, we get this interesting little quest. I'm all for a bit of engineering!

The other two are, well, a bit predictable.

Once we get the book, we're tasked with rewiring harvest golems by killing them, then using an item on their corpses. Wrath is the first time I remember the game asking you to do things to corpses, which is...strangely fitting, in a way.

We got new pants, but they're exactly the same model as our old pants. This is always disappointing to see.

Seeing as we came here to check on mining operations, there's no way we're leaving all this metal behind. I'm a bit surprised that the lever of all things was locked, though.

Well, good. They can kill their own undead now. :colbert:

Last and most definitely least, we get to ring a bell in town hall, concluding our business here. Farshire is done, and we didn't even get any exciting new armor fashion for our troubles. Good riddance.

Scaly Haylie

Munchables posted:

I stopped playing after cata, and played a bit more regularly when WoD dropped, so I didn't really play Pandaria, but the 1 dungeon I did was nice.

You seem to be me.

Zeth

Cluck you say?
Thassarian was and remains Great.

Scaly Haylie

TODAY: the plot thickens.

Through more busywork, a wino gives us hot tips.

By which I mean this deserter gives us hot tips.

Today, we meet two races. The Tuskarr are a race of walrus people, they're pretty great in general.

Less great are the Vrykul, AKA half-giant undead vikings.

We knock lots and lots of them down.

We also help out a captured Naga priestess who wants to stick it to the Vrykul. Enemy of my enemy and all that, right?

For as bleak as Northrend is, it sure is pretty. :unsmith:

Anyway we grab the trident and kinda stab this sea monster to death.

Hoo boy I sure do love quests that just serve to send you to more quests

Have I mentioned that I love my water-walking ability?

Find a totem? Heck that's easy.

Perhaps easier than intended, since Blizzard added helpful stuff like this to the minimap to help you with quests in...Cataclysm, I think? They applied it retroactively to existing quests too though.

"Helgarr the Horrible" :jerkbag:

See that pile of gross seaweed and poo poo? Yeah, that's Helgarr. That's about how hard I dunked on him.

Dragonblight's a whole nother area, I kinda want to mop up here first.

Moving right along, our search for Tharassian takes us to this whole business.

And when I say this whole business I mean the WAILING ZIGGURAT, or at least the area surrounding it. Kill some dudes you know the drill.

I could not be more disappointed with this armor.

But hey, we hit 70 in the course of today's adventuring. Hooray for progress!

Scaly Haylie

We start with this man being very insensitive to our chosen class. Oh well, best poke our head in that ziggurat.

Oh poo poo are you in the middle of something I mean I can go

Nah but seriously we gotta get this lich's phylactery so Thassarian can torture info out of this lich.

It's guarded, of course it's guarded. We get it with no trouble.

Thassarian needs time to work over this lich, so it's time for us to get to work and gently caress up the Scourge to kill time.

Also dang man it's 2am, let's pretend Theraisedelf killed scourge troops all night and I'll finish this update tomorrow, sorry

Munchables

See if you can spot me

Scaly Haylie

As we were told last time, we rip and tear some undead nasties. I like how it's not telling us to target anything in particular, just cause casualties. gently caress 'em up! :black101:

The ziggurat really is pretty, if a bit evil.

Now to find the proverbial keys to enter their floating fortress.

They're all inside this rather imposing complex.

Just a matter of going into each of the three temples and giving a beatdown to the high priests, really. Each of them has a scroll with a word of power on it.

One of the temples has a lot of blood orbs. You'd think they were there for some kind of puzzle, but instead they do nothing. Please don't waste time killing the blood orbs.

Note the wording "teleportation orb".

This is what you use to teleport up into Naxxanar. Not a loving orb. Anyway, we approach the :airquote:orb:airquote: and speak the words of power.

:weedass:

Now to find our way to the upper level and trigger an event flag find Thassarian.

I search high and low but I don't find jack poo poo.

Oh, how silly of me. I didn't think to immediately turn around and use the teleporter on top of the teleporter I came in from. gently caress off, World of Warcraft.

Wow what a high level counselor

Oh ok that explains it

:munch:

:munch:

Oh ok we get to play the game again, cool

Severe beatdown administered.

WOW COOL MORE CUTSCENES

(the axe is pretty good though)

Scaly Haylie

Well guys, I hate to say it but I think I'm done. I've seen some nice weapon and armor skins, but I think I've had my fun with the game, and I hope at least some of you now recognize why I liked it for a time.

Good night, World of Warcraft.

Piso Mojado

:bravo:

Scaly Haylie

i deserve that

Piso Mojado

yes. yes you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munchables

• Locked thread