Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've seen their lines, I keep waffling if it's worth it, but I'll definitely check it out given the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a place that does kbbq but not the open hall style seating? My girlfriend loves the grill-it-yourself aspect of kbbq but she can have sensory overload issues when there's a ton of people around being loud and such. I would suggest just doing it at home with a portable burner but I don't want to deal with getting all the banchan together.

Thai
How about Thai BBQ ? A new place called Muu Kata opened at 6th and Geary, replacing actual Korean place Honeypig. For a new place, they only opened on the 5th, I was very impressed with the quality. The to-grill items were top quality, the broth was good, and my appetizer was delicious. The service was great too. It's a small place, so off-peak it should be overstimulating. If that is what you're after, they're open to midnight. I was there at about 5:30 on aThursday and was outnumbered by staff until about 6.
https://www.muukata6395.com/menus

Dim sum
Mom Dumpling replaced Fang Yuan in the Park Merced shopping strip. I really miss the authentic Szechuan menu, but at least they're a good dim sum place. They serve big fat dumplings that you can watch them make. I live for good siu mai, and their pork & shrimp dumplings are big, tender, and full of actual pieces of shrimp along with the pork mince. The place is almost full for Sunday lunch but pretty quiet for weekday dinners.

Pizza
Arinell's is bad sauce on cardboard and has been for decades, go to Blondie's or Fat Slice. In SF, I like Nizarios.

Sandwiches
Lou's Cafe has become one of my favorite guilty pleasures. They've got great combos and really tasty house sauces. They have multiple locations in the City.

e.
Vietnamese
The obligatory shoutout to an SF classic, Tu Lan at 6th and Market. Fantastic food in good portions, has been around long enough that Julia Child ate there once, always busy.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 27, 2023

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Nea posted:

god ok i have a very specific question here. in the midwest when you get sweet and sour chicken at a chinese restauraunt it's these big, deep fried meatball type things of chicken that you'd dip in the sauce, there's a nice, crunchy fried texture to them that gives way as you bite in. there's usually a bit of air in there. it's great.

here, it's a much smaller piece of fried chicken, that has a totally different texture and tends to come pre-sauced.

Is there any place that serves anything like that in San Jose specifically? it's a craving i've had for years and can't fulfill. image provided

I moved out here from Florida a year and change ago and in general I really loving miss the American Chinese food. It just doesn't seem to exist out here

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lazy Susan in SF is American Chinese. I don’t know San Jose restaurants so I didn’t respond to the question initially !!

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

big black turnout posted:

I moved out here from Florida a year and change ago and in general I really loving miss the American Chinese food. It just doesn't seem to exist out here

Have you been to Panda Express?

Also each part of the US probably has slightly different American Chinese food. To me, the places here that serve General Tso’s are American Chinese food. It’s not exactly chicken feet.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Panda Express is some weird third thing though. They don't have basically any of what I'd consider the "standard" American Chinese takeout

e: panda express is closer to mall American Chinese than strip mall takeout American Chinese

big black turnout fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 28, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There's shitloads of garbage American Chinese in the east bay; San Leandro, Hayward. Asia Delight has a buffet of deep fried batter and sugar sauce as far as the eye can see.

There are a few with chop suey on the menu too.

Which parts of the bay area don't have this poo poo?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well.

Oakland and SF Chinatown, for starters. =P

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Rofl there's American Chinese in both

I'm asking the Floridian where they live that doesn't have American Chinese

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lmao there’s like 4 American Chinese within a block from me here in Noe.

Lazy Susan is good, Mamahuhu is fan loving tastic.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Nea posted:

god ok i have a very specific question here. in the midwest when you get sweet and sour chicken at a chinese restauraunt it's these big, deep fried meatball type things of chicken that you'd dip in the sauce, there's a nice, crunchy fried texture to them that gives way as you bite in. there's usually a bit of air in there. it's great.

here, it's a much smaller piece of fried chicken, that has a totally different texture and tends to come pre-sauced.

Is there any place that serves anything like that in San Jose specifically? it's a craving i've had for years and can't fulfill. image provided

I mean, no one has answered this for instance and none of these places y'all've mentioned have it from what I've seen. This is absolutely bog standard fare from the Midwest to the southeast, but it seems like it simply doesn't exist out here.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

big black turnout posted:

I mean, no one has answered this for instance and none of these places y'all've mentioned have it from what I've seen. This is absolutely bog standard fare from the Midwest to the southeast, but it seems like it simply doesn't exist out here.

The Chinese disapora is vast and the kinds of food that evolved depend heavily on what groups of immigrants moved where and when. Your attitude came off a bit as "no true American Chinese food". There's huge regional differences in American Chinese food, and even going from New York to Boston, there's pretty distinct differences. That said, you are correct that this kind of American Chinese food doesn't really exist out here, and while other people are suggesting great places for American Chinese food, it's not really going to satisfy your craving.

Nea posted:

To answer the original question, I think the closest you are going to get in San Jose is the orange chicken at Evergreen Panda, though I believe it comes pre-sauced. The rest of the food is as close to midwest / east coast-y as you're going to get.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/evergreen-panda-san-jose

You're unfortunately not going to find "Chinese Spare Ribs" or fried wontons out here. There's really just not a market for it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i think that's a little unfair, the bay area's a big place.

just off the top of my head, shan dong in oakland chinatown is best known in the diaspora for their handmade noodles and dumplings, but they have a pretty big side hustle in serving good american-chinese food to white people. i know for a fact that they do fried wontons. hunan village on grand lake also has a pretty good sweetened spare rib dish, though i don't know if you mean anything specific by "chinese spare ribs".

anyways for the specific type of doughy fried midwestern stuff Nea was asking for, i can ten million percent tell you that Lai Lai in Milbrae sells it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Yeah. I do love chinese food out here broadly, in any case- it kicks rear end, both more traditional and more americanized stuff, everything i have had has been excellent. Just, i'm craving this one specific thing i haven't seen in ages. It's very home-y to me. I'll see if any of the mentioned places have it!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://boingboing.net/2023/04/02/quirky-california-ramen-shop-invokes-the-spirit-of-tokyos-subway-system-culture.html

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 3, 2023

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just had some panettone from This is from Roy and it was amazing. I would definitely get some more often if I lived in the city.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone been to the the new tasting menu at Mr. Jiu's? I keep wanting to go but life events keep taking me away from there.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Went. Was better than the ramen I had the night before. (Last night's ramen was freaking $16 for only two slices of chashu and an over-cooked half-egg, and a profusion of bamboo.)

Still in beta test. An incomplete mixing of the tare into the stock meant I had a sludgy bottom full of salt.

I also hope they offer thicker noodles, the default were very thin, like, 1.25mm.

In conclusion: Feels like Chinese people doing Japanese mediocrely. 6/10.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We went out to Viridian last night before going to the Paramount in Oakland, and it was awesome. I went on the strength of the Soleil Ho review, and I'd say it lives up to the hype. We don't dine out a lot, but whenever we follow one of her reviews, it has lived up to the expectations.

The cocktails were really good, the Tomato Beef is just a lot of fun, the Taiwan Bento is super nutty, I don't know which nuts make up their toasted nut orgeat, but it's pretty fantastic, plus the drink comes in a ceramic glass that looks like a takeout container.

We got the rice cakes and tartar to start, both of which were great. Rice cakes were very savory and meaty, despite being vegetarian, maybe slightly too greasy, but otherwise fantastic. The tartar was stunning, with the toasted milk bread it was so nice. Sweet pickled pear at first made me nervous, but I thought paired nicely with the sirloin, bringing everything into focus. The dry fried wings were also a hit. I don't know what they put on them to make them so bright, it tasted almost like Amchoor, but could have been lime powder, but it really made them shine. Lastly the garlic noodles I loved, but my partner felt they tasted too much of fish sauce. I thought they were savory and delicious, but the garlic did fade into the background a bit.

Other than the dumb app, it was a great experience, and something worth checking out if you're in the area.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Went to Swan Oyster Depot yesterday for lunch, and it lives up to its reputation. It's not cheap, but they don't skimp on quality or quantity. Plus what's really nice is that you can get half orders of things. The scallops were a huge highlight, as was the crab fat vinagrette.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

Went to Swan Oyster Depot yesterday for lunch, and it lives up to its reputation. It's not cheap, but they don't skimp on quality or quantity. Plus what's really nice is that you can get half orders of things. The scallops were a huge highlight, as was the crab fat vinagrette.

Taking something to go, then walking up those hills to Huntington Park is pretty legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Taking something to go, then walking up those hills to Huntington Park is pretty legit.

I can see that being awesome. It was nice to sit at the counter, but if I go again will definitely do the togo option. The smoked salmon is some of the best I've had too, it is really good.