Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ViggyNash posted:

I know, and it's pushed to the background a bit in the second half so far so it's not as big an issue now. I'll try not to hold that against it since it's due to age and culture, but it does bother me regardless.

Nah a big part of liking a show is realizing when it makes mistakes.

This trope is definitely one but a sadly common one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
SO, just finished Escaflowne and here are my thoughts.

For all my complaints about its (possibly cultural) sexism, the show does end up subverting its sexism in a lot of ways. Definitely appreciated that. And as I said before, I love its sense of style and presentation, though I do wish we saw more of the other nations. The music continued to be excellent for the most part, which makes perfect sense now that I know Yoko Kanno co-composed it after looking it up.

But the central romance didn't really work for me. I like how it tied in to the thematic exploration of the show, but the romance itself felt kinda hamfisted. It didn't feel quite as earned as Eureka Seven, for example.

Still, great show, and I see why people hold it pretty high.

And with that, let me update my list:

Prison School
Noein
Gungrave
Iron Blood Orphans (I've already watched several episodes, but stopped for a long time)
Hibike! Euphonium season 2
Joke option: One Piece (I'm at episode 94 but stopped watching for a couple months now)

Xinder posted:

alright let's go

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Steins;Gate (dub)
- Patlabor
- Initial D

Steins;Gate Dub, no contest.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I finished watching ReLife a few days ago, and I'm ambivalent about it. It was a decent watch and a well-made show, and the characters are well-written too. It was good to have an adult protagonist, even if per the series premise he was having to pretend to be a high-school student, and I liked that him being an adult wasn't just window dressing for his characterisation. I watched it pretty quickly, since I was curious about how it would all turn out. The ending theme playing a different older tune every time was a good choice. And it's rare that you see a series which covers the effects of toxic workplace cultures and their effects on people like this, so I've got to hand it to them for that.

For downsides, one is that the anime ends up heavily relying on one specific character to generate drama. From reading around a bit I know she was disliked by some people because of that, but I quite liked her, it's just that the storytelling was leaning a lot on her as a crutch. Another thing is the pacing. It seemed fine while I was watching it, but when I got to the last ep, it didn't have the feeling of a conclusion or a good stopping point. That's natural enough given that it turns out it's just a partial adaptation of an ongoing series, but it does change the way I see the earlier eps.

I was curious enough to go and read the webcomic, and I was impressed by the art. But, having read up to date in that, I think I just don't find this series satisfying. It's not a bad series by any means, it's that I don't find it interesting or funny enough for it to hold my attention while it continues on with a slow pace.

I had been going to ask for another series, but I think I'll go and re-watch season 1 of Uchouten Kazoku first, since I've forgotten some of what happened there.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Oh well. I for one am glad you gave it a fair shake, though.

I admit there are some pretty slow arcs, like volleyball in the anime and Ogha's brother in the manga, but I still really enjoyed ReLife. The show has a certain kindheartedness to it that I found endearing, and on a more personal note I was basically Hishiro when I entered the workforce, so how that worked out for her had particular significance.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I think you should watch Euphonium S2 since I thought it was extremely good ...and it's the only one I know from that list :sweatdrop:

Alright, here's some things I've got ready to try now but don't know enough about to push me in any one direction

House of Five Leaves
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water
Princess Jellyfish
Honey & Clover
Little Women 2: Jo's Boys

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Agronox posted:

I admit there are some pretty slow arcs, like volleyball in the anime and Ogha's brother in the manga, but I still really enjoyed ReLife. The show has a certain kindheartedness to it that I found endearing, and on a more personal note I was basically Hishiro when I entered the workforce, so how that worked out for her had particular significance.

The characters in ReLife are well-written, really. Hishiro stood out a lot, and she was my favourite character. Most series don't go into that kind of depth about people's interaction styles. So, I don't want to give the impression that I think ReLife is a bad series, since it's good, it's just that it didn't match up to what I wanted from it in terms of pacing and length. That said, I've heard that there's going to be a further 4-episode anime adaptation of the series coming out next year, which is supposed to be covering the "final chapter" of it, so I'll probably want to watch that. Hopefully that means it's going to adapt the end of the series.

Knorth posted:

House of Five Leaves
Nadia The Secret of Blue Water
Princess Jellyfish
Honey & Clover
Little Women 2: Jo's Boys

You should watch Princess Jellyfish because aside from one annoying plot thread it's fun and it's got a great cast (plus a great opening sequence). I should really catch up on the manga for that myself.

I haven't seen most of the other ones on your list, but House of Five Leaves is also very good.

My current list:

El Hazard: The Magnificent World (OVA)
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Mobile Police Patlabor (OVA)
Kaitou Saint Tail
Silent Möbius
Terra e

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Van Dine posted:

The characters in ReLife are well-written, really. Hishiro stood out a lot, and she was my favourite character. Most series don't go into that kind of depth about people's interaction styles. So, I don't want to give the impression that I think ReLife is a bad series, since it's good, it's just that it didn't match up to what I wanted from it in terms of pacing and length. That said, I've heard that there's going to be a further 4-episode anime adaptation of the series coming out next year, which is supposed to be covering the "final chapter" of it, so I'll probably want to watch that. Hopefully that means it's going to adapt the end of the series.

You should watch Princess Jellyfish because aside from one annoying plot thread it's fun and it's got a great cast (plus a great opening sequence). I should really catch up on the manga for that myself.

I haven't seen most of the other ones on your list, but House of Five Leaves is also very good.

My current list:

El Hazard: The Magnificent World (OVA)
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Kaitou Saint Tail
Silent Möbius
Terra e

El Hazard is a lot of fun, maybe skip the sequels though.

My list:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
ACCA
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Kimagure Orange Road

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Knorth posted:

I think you should watch Euphonium S2 since I thought it was extremely good ...and it's the only one I know from that list :sweatdrop:

Well there's the motivation I need to finally go back and watch it. First season had great writing and direction, and the animators at KyoAni really put out their best stuff for this show. I don't doubt season 2 is more of that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

VOTOMS is now on my list.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Steins;Gate has one of the better dubs I've heard, but there were a few situations where there was just no right answer. 2chan and engrish jokes just can't be translated without feeling weird and awkward. But I'm glad it gave me an excuse to watch the show again, because drat that's still a really loving great anime.

GorfZaplen posted:

El Hazard is a lot of fun, maybe skip the sequels though.

My list:
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sakigake!! Otokojuku
ACCA
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Kimagure Orange Road

Can't deny my own avatar. Gotta say Utena

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Patlabor
- Initial D
- Chihayafuru

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think I'll get in on this

Xinder posted:

Steins;Gate has one of the better dubs I've heard, but there were a few situations where there was just no right answer. 2chan and engrish jokes just can't be translated without feeling weird and awkward. But I'm glad it gave me an excuse to watch the show again, because drat that's still a really loving great anime.

Can't deny my own avatar. Gotta say Utena

- Love Live
- Space Patrol Luluco
- Patlabor
- Initial D
- Chihayafuru

Watch Initial D because I told you to

- Yuyu Hakusho
- Cutey Honey
- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Outlaw Star

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's been a long time since I've watched the first eps of Utena so it's basically like watching the show for the first time. I remember enough about what happens in the first half that I can pay more attention to the backgrounds and "set" design which is super super good. I'm enjoying it more this time around and will finish it for sure this time

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
After getting thoroughly distracted by Polar Bear Cafe (people should watch that show btw), I've almost finished Princess Jellyfish and I really liked it! It's such a good lovable buncha nerds and a hipster :3: It's kind of a shame that the development lady's manipulations get pushed that far because I kinda liked her before that. I really appreciate sweet jellyfish nerd and her love of jellys, they're such lovely animals

Probably going to start on House of Five Leaves next since it's the one on that list that other people mention

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 3, 2017

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Glad to hear that Princess Jellyfish worked out for you, Knorth!

Roth posted:

- Yuyu Hakusho
- Cutey Honey
- The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
- Cardcaptor Sakura
- Outlaw Star

It's tough to choose between all those good options, but I'll say you should try Outlaw Star. It's been some time since I watched that one, but it's fun.

Re the El-Hazard OVAs which I was watching, I've finished them now, and I liked them a lot. The opening theme was great and the cast was lively. It's also good to finally be able to put some of the characters' names in context, because El-Hazard's a series which used to crop up in the blurbs for multi-series crossover fanfics a lot, and I had very little idea what the characters were actually like. I've got to say, Jinnai's laughter was great, and I hope his voice actor was enjoying himself rather than getting a terrible sore throat.

I was pleased to find out that the initially somewhat-boring lead character got stuck in drag and impersonating a princess for much of the series rather than just waffling around, and it turned out that he was an endearing character anyway. It was fun adventure story. And I was amused to find out that the real Fatora was a total snobby jerk to the extent that even her own talking cat wanted to abandon her.

The ending was quite sweet. All aboard the good ship Makoto/Ifurita.
After liking the OVAs so much I'd be tempted to watch the TV series version, but I've heard multiple people say that isn't so good.

So here's my updated list:

Kaitou Saint Tail
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Nagi no Asukara
Silent Möbius
Terra e
Video Girl Ai (OVA)

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I finished Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket a while ago and forgot to post about it. Really drat good! The writing and characters were an order of magnitude better than 0083, and it actually got me invested in the wellbeing of the colony.

Gosh what a tragic ending though! Bernie . . . :cry: It was a great anti-war story, and reminded me thematically of Now and Then, Here and There with respect to the main character being kinda robbed of their childhood and forced to grow up in a horrific way - seeing people they care about die a violent death in battle, due to the callous warmongering of others. The fact that Bernie's death was at the hands of someone who, in peaceful times, would have been their friend or even more just made his needless sacrifice more poignant. Al is a good kid, heeding Bernie's last wishes and not hating Chris. The last scene though, with Al's friends promising him the next war will be bigger and more awful while he cries for his lost friend . . . what a way to twist the knife, my goodness.

Overall I give it 9/10 (could have used more robot fights, but then again I can say that about every show), I see why this one is considered a classic and recommended so much.

Van Dine posted:

So here's my updated list:

Kaitou Saint Tail
Kimagure Orange Road
Koko wa Greenwood (OVA)
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Nagi no Asukara
Silent Möbius
Terra e
Video Girl Ai (OVA)

Please watch Mobile Police Patlabor (Early Days OVA).

My list now:

- Turn A Gundam
- Giant Robo
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982)
- Bodacious Space Pirates
- Mononoke
- Dirty Pair (TV, 1985)

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 3, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I actually finished Anohana over a month ago, and, on the whole, I really did enjoy it. I guess my only real complaint would be the pacing towards the middle isn't nearly as strong as it was in the first half, and it definitely felt like some of the characters could have been explored a bit better, or the epilogue could have touched up on how the Super-Peace Busters were able to adjust back to life again especially with Jinta going back to school, when it didn't really feel like he had overcame his social anxieties at all by the ending. But with that said, it had good elements of drama, and an enjoyable, varied, human cast, and generally a good sense for humor and making scenes emotionally weighted.

Mentat Radnor posted:

My list now:

- Turn A Gundam
- Giant Robo
- The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (1982)
- Bodacious Space Pirates
- Mononoke
- Dirty Pair (TV, 1985)

I'd say you should check out Dirty Pair.

Flip flappers is still up on the docket, but I'm figuring what else I wanna check out.

Nyarko-san
Yuyushiki
Yuru Yuri
The Eccentric Family
Sabagebu

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Utena and the movie and they rule. I already miss it's sense of style and wish there was more but there's nothing else for the show to say really.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
:yeah:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch Penguindrum if you haven't already

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
*cough* *cough*

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Julias posted:

*cough* *cough*

Okay, okay.

The Eccentric Family

On my end...

Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam

:v:

(I'm on episode 9 and actually enjoying it this go 'round, so I have a shot at finishing it!)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Sorry, it turns out Initial D, despite being very good, is also very long. Maybe I'll finish it before the end of the year tho.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Finally finished Initial D. It was fantastic. Way better than I thought it would be. I loved it.

Hopefully I can kick some life back into this thread now.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam
Zeta Gundam

oh that's a tough one. I'm gonna have to go with Zeta Gundam, because it's really loving great.

Now it's time for my Netflix Anime round-up:

Kuromukuro
AJIN: Demi-Human
Silver Spoon
Gunslinger Girl
Tiger & Bunny
Your lie in April

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Xinder posted:

Finally finished Initial D. It was fantastic. Way better than I thought it would be. I loved it.

Hopefully I can kick some life back into this thread now.

oh that's a tough one. I'm gonna have to go with Zeta Gundam, because it's really loving great.

Now it's time for my Netflix Anime round-up:

Kuromukuro
Silver Spoon
Gunslinger Girl
Tiger & Bunny
Your lie in April

Watch Tiger & Bunny you nerd

Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori
Durarara
Yuki Yuna

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Netflix's Tiger and Bunny censored all the logos from the super suits, fwiw

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

dogsicle posted:

Netflix's Tiger and Bunny censored all the logos from the super suits, fwiw

oh noooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
So I failed to actually watch an anime through Netflix this time, but I would have missed out on Pepsi Gal if I had. Tiger & Bunny was really good. Still gotta watch The Rising sometime this week, but let's get another show in first.

Nina posted:

Watch Tiger & Bunny you nerd

Mononoke
Gankutsuou
Shinsekai Yori
Durarara
Yuki Yuna

I'm going to throw Durarara at you because I really like it and want to talk about it with you.

So time for another attempt at Netflix anime:

Kuromukuro
Silver Spoon
Gunslinger Girl
Your lie in April

• Locked thread