Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even if that were the case, the two movies stapled together are two excellent movies excellently edited together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The first film is an opera, the second film is a drama.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Part III is pretty terrible when compared to the other two, but Talia Shire's poisoned cannoli scenes are great. I think Sophia Coppola's acting brings the film down somewhat, but the incomprehensible plot and lack of Tom Hagen are worse flaws.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

We could've had part IV.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1576410/francis-ford-coppola-explains-why-there-is-no-godfather-iv/

quote:

MTV: "Godfather IV" was talked about, it seems, at one time. You and Mario Puzo — is this true? — went to Paramount and said, "We're interested, we'll do it," and they said, "We're not interested."

Coppola: I never thought making a second "Godfather" made sense to me. ... I thought the end of the first "Godfather" film was the end of it. Michael has become what he's become. He's paid a terrible price for it, and that's the point. The last shot of closing his wife out was the end. So when they wanted a second "Godfather," it was just to make money. ... It was the beginning of this franchise mentality, so I resisted it. ... But I was working on an original idea of ... telling a story of a father and a son at the same age ... two stories paralleling. They prevailed on me so much that I said, "Well, I'll do it, but I'll have total control, and I'll make it be this story and work it into 'The Godfather.' " When that was done — miracle of miracles that it was well-received; like anything, it could have gone as bad as gone right — then I was done with it.

Many years later, after "One From the Heart," after [accumulating] huge debt, unbelievable debt for a young guy, the chance to do "Godfather III" was a chance for me to get out of my problems, and I did it as best I knew how. ... And then there was talk of a fourth "Godfather." And I had an idea of how you could do it, oddly enough, again paralleling two stories because it was a big part of the book that had never been made — it was the period sort of between the old period in "Godfather II" and when you see Marlon Brando in "The Godfather." Mario called it the "happy years" — when we killed them and they didn't kill us. [He laughs.]

And Mario was very concerned to make money because he was getting older and he really wanted to leave his kids well-fixed, and I said to Paramount, "Look it, we have an idea of a structure of this thing. Pay Mario Puzo a million dollars to do this first draft, and I'll help him and work with him. You don't have to pay me anything. But he's getting old, and he's not entirely well." And they basically didn't do it. And then he died.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even if that were the case, the two movies stapled together are two excellent movies excellently edited together.

I agree with this, and I definitely don't dislike Godfather II, but as fun as the De Niro stuff is to watch, I do feel like his arc is a little lacking. As magnificent as De Niro's performance is, it takes his all to keep Vito actually feeling like a character and not just a type.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

1 has Luca Brasi as the "imposing henchman" who gets killed midway through the movie.
2 has that goofy Frankenstein's monster dude that incompetently doesn't do a good job assassinating Heiman Roth and gets killed midway through the movie.
3 has that ridiculous ultra assassin prist (on The Ugly's side) that goes around killing pretty much everyone until he's shot at the very end.

That's the difference between the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Zogo posted:

Once Upon a Time in America > The Godfather > The Godfather: Part II > The Godfather: Part III

The ramifications of Leone's film being butchered in half still reverberate to this very day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McyI1IQfcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMT9jEluuOU
I think I agree, and the score in this is so loving good.

• Locked thread