Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
In the foreground with yellow accents. Don't know new cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aston Martin Vantage GT.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

lipstick on a pig.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
That's It! Thanks.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010

Powershift posted:

lipstick on a pig.

Is it poo poo?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Unless you have a garage of 10+ other fine sports cars I cant see that purchase being something you don't regret months after ordering...the only counterpoint would be if you just drove it lovingly but seldomly looked at it, plus it would probably look a lot better if it was only ever seen on a track otherwise its too much of a British version of a C4 Corvette Indy 500 Pace Car. It's not the car at all it's mostly the idea of it all, Bentley does the same thing with their more risque Continentals that have a 911 GT3 RS by Mansory sort of look to them.

^ sorry im somewhat full of poo poo, i think if the money for buying one wasnt an issue would happily adopt one as one of my principle means to get around town for a few years because unlike the Corvette Pace Cars these have legit speed + class and so like some valuable artwork it can get away with any sort of ugliness or ostentatious presentation.

it would have to be special ordered of course, Mariana Blue, with a $350,000 GTI interior as well as all the carbon fiber and graphics I am offered

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 24, 2016

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
so, it's a status symbol poseur car?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
It's a Fiero with a lovely bodykit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

UnderToad posted:

so, it's a status symbol poseur car?
Yes/No.

It could be used as such, but so could any Aston, though it does feel like they attract that type of buyer a lot less than other equivalent brands.

What's significant is that they've made a more dedicated performance/trackday version, with less equipment, and made it cheaper. If you suggested that to Porsche or Ferrari, they'd go into full :psypop: mode. In the US, they knuckled the price down to $99k, which may not sound "cheap", but it's18% cheaper than the standard car, plus it has the (fractionally) more powerful engine from the S model. And it's available with a manual. So it represents a high-end car manufacturer making a more commited "driver's" car in the right way, which in itself is broadly a good thing.

But there's an argument that taking what are more GT cars and making "hardcore" versions isn't really what they should about, and the painted accents - while a homage to the DBR1 racing car from the fities - are perhaps a little silly.

Broadly, I'd say my impression of one of these is that the owner is probably not a prick, but someone who is into their cars as cars, not as status symbols, but they do have enough money for this to be one of several similar vehicles in their fleet.

• Locked thread