Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I think I've said often enough this isn't your job, no need to apologise, although I (we?) Appreciate that you keep us up to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Siegkrow posted:

I think I've said often enough this isn't your job, no need to apologise, although I (we?) Appreciate that you keep us up to date.

This. Also, I could never begrudge someone time spent on Shadowrun.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Wyld Karde posted:

This. Also, I could never begrudge someone time spent on Shadowrun.

I will take this to mean you could begrudge somebody time spent on Starcrawlers. :D

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

So, do Shadowrunners exist in the far future of Master of Orion? Un-personed mercenaries trying to take down the megacorps?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

So, do Shadowrunners exist in the far future of Master of Orion? Un-personed mercenaries trying to take down the megacorps?

Given that we tend to hit 100% morale pretty quickly in most worlds and that we're not really set up as a monolithic dystopia, I doubt we're looking at a bunch of unpersons, and corporate competition, as a rule, remains economic. Not to say that crime doesn't exist, both on the 'bottom' and 'top', but systemic oppression, corruption, and rebellion mostly don't exist.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Oh I wasnt talking about the republic alone. I suppose many of the former bulrathi world's would be ripe for it?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Siegkrow posted:

Oh I wasnt talking about the republic alone. I suppose many of the former bulrathi world's would be ripe for it?

Oh, in that case... use of deniable mercenary operatives for interorganisational espionage is actually quite widespread in the Darlok Administration. It's a dangerous job, and one that can easily get the Administration coming down on you like a ton of bricks for undercutting their authority if they can determine your involvement. Because of the necessity for subtlety, mercenary ops in the Darlok Administration tend to focus on careful stealth and the occasional assassination. Occasional poison gas attacks by sneaking nerve gas into ventilation systems are known, however- this is actually a big reason why so many Darloks so frequently wear breath masks. Fear of getting caught in a gas attack in a building is real enough that very many Darloks dress to protect against this risk.

There exists internal unrest, to a certain extent, in the Meklar Combine and Federation of Psilon Quanta, but they are marked by less outright mercenary activities. That said, sometimes there are disturbances on the fringes of their nations...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
... Now I want to see a thread aobut 'dneiable operations' for the Human Republic.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

wedgekree posted:

... Now I want to see a thread aobut 'deniable operations' for the Human Republic.

mostly stuff like: i'm so sorry for this but I can't help myself

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

I don't get it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

nweismuller posted:

I don't get it?

Tasteless joke about breast augmentation operations, probably.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, sorry for that period of discouragement and burnout. If people still want to read this, I'll try to get back into. I feel bad about this.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I mean, I've got this whole thing bookmarked, so I can just read the update when/if it happens, no big deal.

Basically, I enjoy reading your threads and would like an update, but there's little point in forcing it if you aren't feeling it anymore. The enjoyment of random goons is probably one of the least worthy things to grit your teeth for in the entire world after all :v:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I've said this to the point of getting tired: this ain't your job, we ain't your bosses, this is a hobby. You take as long as you feel you need.

I'll be here to read it, I've got this bookmarked on my phone.
If you've burned out on this LP and you want to do something different, go and do that instead, just post a link to it here so we can go and read that.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Not entirely related, but I'm excited about it- the first expansion of Stars in Shadow is coming sometime September, over and beyond the steady trickle of fixes and changes that has been going on. So I'm looking forward to a big pile of new content. I'm thinking of LPing Stars in Shadow eventually, but I'm currently holding out for the second expansion, as one of the two devs has let slip there's a major terraforming overhaul slated for that, and so the relatively minor terraforming-related bugs I've found aren't really going to be addressed until then as a waste of effort. The way Stars in Shadow handles planetary environments is one of the things I really like about it, so I'm definitely curious about that. (And, as the devs noted, 'you're on the test build, you don't need to worry about buying the update'- benefits of having gotten in very early and supported them in early development.)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Well, ha e you thought about doing a short LP, something outside your comfort zone? Maybe it can get your juices running.
Like, maximum Hitler Civ IV, or a different type of game. With XCOM you could work on your dialogue writing (like Guavamoment's OG LP), or maybe a look at dinasty building with CK2(no wait we are nearing critical mass on paradox threads).

Ultimately it is all up to you! Do something you think is fun!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Do something you enjoy. If you're tired of MoO, well, you've played quite a bit of it! No one would blame you.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

No one would blame you.

Except for me. That said, I wonder if maybe a break to work on something else might help 'recharge' my creativity... hmmm.

Siegkrow posted:

maybe a look at dinasty building with CK2

Oh gods don't tempt me to found the Republic of Ireland in the 8th century. Because this is how you get the Republic of Ireland in the 8th century.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I enjoyed the LP, but personally was disinterested in the background roleplaying posts. I just skipped over them, and other people seemed to enjoy them.

If you are burned out, then you should probably move on. You do not owe anyone on the internet, and this was a thing you did of your own volition, probably because you enjoyed doing it. If you no longer enjoy it, the answer is clear. It takes time and effort, and you will just spend that unhappy and resenting that you cannot do something else you enjoy.

Do what you want to do, you will be happier and it will be better to read.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I enjoy reading and interacting with your stuff, and am not fussed about delays, hiatuses or outright burning out on a given project. Take care of yourself first.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Take your time - this is all about your own inspiration. I love how well you do world building and cultures on here. That's amazing and what I've enjoyed about all yoru LP's, particularly your master of orion ones.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

What would lead a society to a point that Maximum Hitler isn't only an option but the morally expected solution to every problem?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Siegkrow posted:

What would lead a society to a point that Maximum Hitler isn't only an option but the morally expected solution to every problem?

WH40k, I suppose.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I am vaguely considering messing with CK2. My confidence for handling it well... I'm not as certain as I might be, but then again, maybe I can handle it well. Inflict the Republic of Ireland on you guys, just because that's hilarious. Not sure of that, though.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Don't worry about it being off, worry about having fun.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Siegkrow posted:

Space is really big and based on recent observations filled with more planets than we could ever bother to monitor. If your first few experiences with extrasolar lifeforms are all flavors of xenomorph, Event Horizon, or Borg then it may seem prudent to nip things in the bud. Any civilization that developes interstellar flight would be incredibly hard to exterminate if it came to that. Probably safer to virus bomb anything you find with opposable thumbs than risk it getting off it's homeworld while you aren't looking.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
You know what could be an interesting twist? CK2 Republic game with no election spending and handing the save off between a player for each patrician family.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

What like boatmurdered?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
There have been CK2 succession games prior, Medes and Persians was a fun one,but don't think there's been a republic one.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That will result in alot of player swapping, since the oldest patrician usually has the most election score each new player will only get to play 5 or 10 years before the head of the family dies from old age.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

AJ_Impy posted:

There have been CK2 succession games prior, Medes and Persians was a fun one,but don't think there's been a republic one.

Insertname Delanda Est was the greatest thing in any Paradox LP ever and I refuse to be told otherwise.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Man I dunno, I'd much prefer a Pure Neis LP.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I'd love to see anyone play CK2 to recreate the feat of having horses take over the world.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If you do play Ireland, I vote for making it a Muslim Ireland.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

Well, that's simple: You just need to be the kind of being utterly unable to see aliens as something like yourself. Take the Arachnid hivemind from In Death Ground and The Shiva Option, for example: Those things saw other sapient beings either as "enemies" as long as they defended themselves, and just harvested them as resources when they were defeated and unable to protect themselves anymore. They were even biologically unable to communicate with members of other species, so from first contact on you would just see those silent, deadly fleets of warships descending on your people.

The idea of a species not wanting to expand and mindlessly consume every available resource (including people) was completely alien to them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Siegkrow posted:

Man I dunno, I'd much prefer a Pure Neis LP.

Same, actually. It's also harder to bring succession games to a satisfying close.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Dr. Snark posted:

Insertname Delanda Est was the greatest thing in any Paradox LP ever and I refuse to be told otherwise.

If that remains my one memorable legacy in Paradox Let's Plays, I'm entirely okay with that.

Fair point on not crowding Nweis, though.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I am suspending this LP, and starting a Crusader Kings 2 LP over at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3832923

I hope to see people there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bit late, but if you want a Civilisation type game where the narrative can go basically anywhere, look into the caveman2cosmos mod for civ 4. Starts about 50,000 BC and involves fun things like the opportunity to prevent the ice age megafauna extinctions via domesticating them. War Mammoths and Giant Ground Sloths are always nice to have when Ghandi, devout follower of the old Aztec gods, comes visiting because he's sacrificed so many of his people he's going to be facing a civil war unless he starts conquering and winning right now.

• Locked thread