Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Let's Play The Stanley Parable

The Stanley Parable started as a free Half-Life 2 modification, released in July of 2011 by Galactic Cafe.

It was then remade in October of 2013 in the source engine and sold as a stand-alone game.

This is a short game with a lot to say. I think it is best to go into it unspoiled so I won't say much more about this game here.

Please don't post any spoilers, but do discuss the content and themes of what's going on in the episodes already posted. A big part of the Stanley Parable is trying to figure out just what is going on in this game. This will be a short Lets Play, only 3 or 4 episodes and then an analysis at the end that goes through and discusses the themes and messages in the game.

I'm not operating on a release schedule but expect one episode a week. I'll post updates here.

Episode List Episode List Episode List:

Razage fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Great to see you back after SS13! Man I love this game. I was considering replaying it recently, preferably in a beer-fueled psychedelic navel gazing marathon, but this is a wonderful alternative.

edit: First video has some pretty gnarly audio desync starting half-ish way through. I like your approach a lot though!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 28, 2016

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
The two demos you didn't recognize are Gunpoint, which is a really good game, and Limits and Demonstrations, the first of Kentucky Route Zero's very unique teasers. Kentucky Route Zero is also a really good game. You should play both of them.

I liked your approach to the demo, and I hope it carries over well into the main game.

EDIT: The same audio desync that DumbRodent noticed in the demo video carried over into the first video for the game itself, but it didn't get quite as bad.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 28, 2016

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
The audio dysnc was not obvious enough, it gets fixed partway through the next episode. In a game like this, it's surprisingly lacking on audio cues.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I honestly didn't notice the audio desync in the second video. And while I'm going to have to hold off on some commentary I want to make to avoid spoilers but there's a few things I love seeing so far.

The demo is an amazing preview of the actual game. I never even knew there was one and it is so beautiful. I can imagine going into that and just not understanding whats happening but it is perfect. And the first two endings you got are a really good look into this game. Something I like about the "outside" you get in the first interval is that it actually looks really fake. Even in the sense of a game. It doesn't look like anything else in quality or texture. Especially when thinking about it being made in the half life engine. It just doesn't look right. Which I think is the point. You didn't actually make it out.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
New episode is up!

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Enjoying the videos so far.

Link in post is missing, however it is in the OP.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That interval where the game really starts changing is part of why I love The Stanley Parable so much. It was actually the second path my wife and I took and there's nothing quite like the game truly breaking every expectation you held for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Are you still going to do that analysis video?

• Locked thread