Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Using a build to make my first PC, and the thing won't turn on. The LED comes on the front, but no activity besides a very brief spin of the fan over my i3 chip. What's going on? Here are some pictures, excuse the cables I'm getting frustrated:

Is there something duh I'm missing in this picture? Please teach me how to compute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Can anyone give me a hand? I'm not sure what to do besides start over, and to my eye, it appears that everything is correct.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you forget the standoffs between the motherboard and the case? The motherboard sits on metal standoffs to keep it from touching and thus shorting out on the metal of the case.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The little gold pins? I put them in there. They were a pain, though... do they have to be a certain way, or something?

I've noticed I can get the fan to spin over the processor, but plugging the case fans into my psu makes it not start spinning (and the case fans don't come on, either).

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Would the fan still spin on the processor if the mobo was shorted? I used the standoffs... Ugh.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I got it to work just slowly plugging in everything one thing at a time. I'm an idiot, but I got it working.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

turn it on andf off again

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes it's as simple as you didn't plug something in properly or correctly seat your RAM. Pull everything out and put it all back in again. A few times if needed.

Cables. I'm talking cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE
If it makes you feel any better I sent my Processor back 3 times, my Video Card 2 times, and the mother board 2 times and had them replaced before I realized I just had a lovely PSU. You an also consider this as an endorsement to NewEgg's customer service for dealing with all my RMAs just because I was dumb.

• Locked thread