Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I know there's some threads about this stuff in DIY&Hobbies which you guys should all check out because it's a cool forum with hilarious construction threads, but I wanted to start a thread here in GBS for all of the cool kids that hang out here to talk about all the cool things they've done with all their cool microprocessors and mini computers after being inspired by inhaling tons and tons of solder rosin smoke.

WHAT IS ALL THIS NERD poo poo
I dunno, the two things mentioned in the title are the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi. Both are nerd poo poo for weird nerds to buy and then forget in a closet before ever doing anything cool with them. Arduino is the name of a set of microcrontroller-based project kits that are all open-source free-love hippy bullshit so you can build robots and crap with parts you source for cheap. You can either buy the boards pre-made or order the microcontroller and all the other stuff individually and solder it yourself, if your time is worth nothing. There's a bunch of varieties of these things and they all have Italian sounding names like Uno, Duo, Leonardo, that kind of thing.

The Raspberry Pi on the other hand is a bit more complex - it's a fully-fledged Linux computer for under $40 that's about the size of a credit card and similar in power to early smarphones, they use ARM architecture chips and there's been a handful of revisions including the ultra-barebones Raspberry Pi Zero which is just ridiculously tiny and costs only $5. As computers, you can do a ton with Raspberry Pis even without soldering a bunch of poo poo yourself.

Anyway I was bored and a little drunk and found a video of some guy making a tiny lil arcade cabinet with a Raspberry Pi, and that inspired me to whip mine out from its dust-encased closet-tomb and set it up as a sweet emulator station. Now I've gone and ordered a Pi Zero and a battery pack to use with a screen I had sitting around to do the same thing as a handheld, because why the hell not?

Anybody done any cool projects with this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I used a raspberry pi to make a little remote for my TV/Cable, and I installed this so I can trigger it with my Echo. My next step is going to be to set things up so I can use this to make my phone into a universal remote. All so I don't have to search for my remotes or stand up off my couch ever again

I actually wanted to try imaging the whole thing once I was done so I could make little universal remote systems and sell them, but the only way it'd work is with Zeros and they only sell those one at a time so welp

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
are you unfamiliar with a forum called YOSPOS? guy built a vaporizer that sends a tweet every time he gets high

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

AugmentedVision posted:

are you unfamiliar with a forum called YOSPOS? guy built a vaporizer that sends a tweet every time he gets high

He knows we have a GBS weed thread, right?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

AugmentedVision posted:

How does the vaporizer know if he is high?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FedEx Mercury posted:

How does the vaporizer know if he is high?

his lips are moving

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

food court bailiff posted:

I dunno, the two things mentioned in the title are the Arduino and the Raspberry Pi. Both are nerd poo poo for weird nerds to buy and then forget in a closet before ever doing anything cool with them. Arduino is the name of a set of microcrontroller-based project kits that are all open-source free-love hippy bullshit so you can build robots and crap with parts you source for cheap. You can either buy the boards pre-made or order the microcontroller and all the other stuff individually and solder it yourself, if your time is worth nothing. There's a bunch of varieties of these things and they all have Italian sounding names like Uno, Duo, Leonardo, that kind of thing.

The Raspberry Pi on the other hand is a bit more complex - it's a fully-fledged Linux computer for under $40 that's about the size of a credit card and similar in power to early smarphones, they use ARM architecture chips and there's been a handful of revisions including the ultra-barebones Raspberry Pi Zero which is just ridiculously tiny and costs only $5. As computers, you can do a ton with Raspberry Pis even without soldering a bunch of poo poo yourself.

Anyway I was bored and a little drunk and found a video of some guy making a tiny lil arcade cabinet with a Raspberry Pi, and that inspired me to whip mine out from its dust-encased closet-tomb and set it up as a sweet emulator station. Now I've gone and ordered a Pi Zero and a battery pack to use with a screen I had sitting around to do the same thing as a handheld, because why the hell not?

I had to check the new rules before I replied and it's fine to talk about console mods and poo poo as long as you're not talking about roms, any idea which model is the best/cheapest if I just wanted to do a backlit set up in a GBA as a case? It gets complicated because I have to pick a screen and figure out how to wire buttons and poo poo, I'd rather get it to run on batteries but most of these people seem to just stick with micro USB chargers.

The real joke is that I have my original GBA with the once famous Afterburner kit in it, but the light doesn't work anymore. I bought a retarded 3 way triangle screwdriver, took the whole thing apart and couldn't find any real problem. Not sure if it'd be cheaper to just fix this or build a whole new super unit, nobody makes anything like the Afterburner anymore as far as I know and I've gotta solder a bunch of poo poo either way.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I used a raspberry pi to make a little remote for my TV/Cable, and I installed this so I can trigger it with my Echo. My next step is going to be to set things up so I can use this to make my phone into a universal remote. All so I don't have to search for my remotes or stand up off my couch ever again

I actually wanted to try imaging the whole thing once I was done so I could make little universal remote systems and sell them, but the only way it'd work is with Zeros and they only sell those one at a time so welp

This definitely has some advantages over a Chromecast but for the most part you better be a huge loving TV addict or I can't understand why a $20 sale on a Chromecast wouldn't have been your first pick

extra stout fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 1, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I used my raspberry pi to set up an ambilight system for my TV so when I watch my animes it looks :pcgaming:

I came back from a long trip and it's broke and I have to fix it but can't find the time recently. It looks cool though.
https://youtu.be/XCodGwRLmT8
Here's me rambling earnestly about it for 6 minutes

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

extra stout posted:

This definitely has some advantages over a Chromecast but for the most part you better be a huge loving TV addict or I can't understand why a $20 sale on a Chromecast wouldn't have been your first pick

How would a chromecast let me control my TV? I have one of those lying around from before I got a TV with smart tv stuff built in, but I don't think it can do anything like that

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Dial-a-Dog posted:

How would a chromecast let me control my TV? I have one of those lying around from before I got a TV with smart tv stuff built in, but I don't think it can do anything like that

It wouldn't let you do all the stuff you have in mind but you plug the Chromecast into the TV then tap the app for it on your phone and then you adjust the volume, mirror video from your phone to your TV, or just use it to navigate Netflix/Hulu/this forum/anything.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I have an rpi I was using as a torrent server, but torrenting has pretty much died. All things die eventually. The small but still impressive power of the raspberry pi isn't enough to prevent this.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I also have an arduino but I can't think of anything I actually want to do with it. I could dig some sort of self watering plant system, but I don't know how I'd go about doing it.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
I've got my RPi set up as a Plex server to stream to different devices throughout my house. It works and actually streams quite solidly, but it was a motherfucker to set up, especially since you can't install things like you would for a traditional Windows HTPC setup. Not only that, but it's really picky. I've had spotty results with anything that aren't specifically .mp4 files, so if you have long movies in .avi format or files with subtitles enabled by default, it lacks enough power to transcode that on the fly.

So it's not a terrible media server, but disregard it if you have an HTPC or something similar setup on a desktop already.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
I bought a 1st gen PI ages ago and I didn't do poo poo with it.

kazoosandthings
Dec 6, 2004

In order to join the pirate crew,
you must prove yourself on the kazoo.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I've got my RPi set up as a Plex server to stream to different devices throughout my house. It works and actually streams quite solidly, but it was a motherfucker to set up, especially since you can't install things like you would for a traditional Windows HTPC setup. Not only that, but it's really picky. I've had spotty results with anything that aren't specifically .mp4 files, so if you have long movies in .avi format or files with subtitles enabled by default, it lacks enough power to transcode that on the fly.

So it's not a terrible media server, but disregard it if you have an HTPC or something similar setup on a desktop already.

What version of the RPi do you have? I wonder if the newer ones with 4 cores would do better at transcoding. Might overclocking make a difference? Any idea whether the media codecs you can buy and put the key in config.txt can improve transcoding? Have you played with audio transcoding at all? I would like to setup a subsonic server or something like that. Would plex do audio just as well?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

kazoosandthings posted:

What version of the RPi do you have? I wonder if the newer ones with 4 cores would do better at transcoding. Might overclocking make a difference? Any idea whether the media codecs you can buy and put the key in config.txt can improve transcoding? Have you played with audio transcoding at all? I would like to setup a subsonic server or something like that. Would plex do audio just as well?

I have the most recent one, the RPi 3+, I think? It came out this past February. I really don't want to overclock it, because it already runs very hot when connected to the external hard drive that hosts the media. Idles at roughly 50C, and when it's active, anywhere from 50-70C. I also haven't tried fiddling with codecs or audio transcoding, I've just found a system that works, even when ripping from my Blu-Ray collection (x264 video, no subtitles unless burned in).

Yes, Plex can also just stream audio, but I haven't done that through the RPi.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I've been getting into a few Arduino and Pi projects lately.

I've got a data logging shield for the Arduino that I made a simple temperature a light logger for, but I'm re-writing the sketch for it to work with a BME280 and possibly a UV sensor.

Right now I've got the BME280 temporarily attached to another Arduino doing this:
(the BME280 is the blurry thing on the left)

I've got a Pi 2 and 3. I messed around a little with the Windows 10 IoT, but prefer to just use Python in Raspbian.
The Pi 2 has a GPS hat on it right now and I've been doing some things with it, but will probably just make it an NTP server.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I used my raspberry pi to set up an ambilight system for my TV so when I watch my animes it looks :pcgaming:

I came back from a long trip and it's broke and I have to fix it but can't find the time recently. It looks cool though.

This is interesting for big commercial jobs, I imagine this could cost people who do light show promotions for clubs and concerts and poo poo half their income if each venue has a single nephew or grandson who is a nerd,
for personal use I have absolutely no understanding of why you want seizure based entertainment, it does look cool even if I don't want one at all

kazoosandthings
Dec 6, 2004

In order to join the pirate crew,
you must prove yourself on the kazoo.

Turmoil posted:

The Pi 2 has a GPS hat on it right now

I can't be the only person who is amused that these things are called hats. As in rear end hat.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

extra stout posted:

This is interesting for big commercial jobs, I imagine this could cost people who do light show promotions for clubs and concerts and poo poo half their income if each venue has a single nephew or grandson who is a nerd,
for personal use I have absolutely no understanding of why you want seizure based entertainment, it does look cool even if I don't want one at all

It looks really nice when movies and stuff are playing, it just streams a very low quality video of whatever's playing to a bunch LEDs on the back of the TV. The lights pretty soft and updates very quick so it looks cool. Took forever to make and when it freaks out it does do insane stroke inducing flashing sometimes lol

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Looks like I know what I'm doing with my extra pi zero now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Explosive Tampons posted:

I bought a 1st gen PI ages ago and I didn't do poo poo with it.

theyre pretty garbage slow now and tbh if you wanted to get back into it youd be better served by going and picking up a pi3

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I have a RPi2 and a cheap SDR USB radio stick set up as a ADS-B receiver station.
It feeds aircraft location data to the Plane Finder network.
I made the antenna with a bit of coax and a Dr. Pepper can.

I'm a bit of a plane nerd and live near a major AFB so I was feeling nosy and wanted to see what I could pick up with a lame cantenna in the window. I've picked up aircraft 109nm away at ~43k ft. Pretty cool.

https://planefinder.net/sharing/client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Looks like I know what I'm doing with my extra pi zero now

I wrote a short tutorial for it but since I finished the Hyperion wiki has gotten way better than it used to be - https://hyperion-project.org/wiki/Main

shoophobo posted:

I have a RPi2 and a cheap SDR USB radio stick set up as a ADS-B receiver station.
It feeds aircraft location data to the Plane Finder network.
I made the antenna with a bit of coax and a Dr. Pepper can.

I'm a bit of a plane nerd and live near a major AFB so I was feeling nosy and wanted to see what I could pick up with a lame cantenna in the window. I've picked up aircraft 109nm away at ~43k ft. Pretty cool.

https://planefinder.net/sharing/client

this is rad as hell

• Locked thread